• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The Unpopular Opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ppl love to gatekeep others because they first heard a song on tiktok and I think that's toxic and immature. For example Melanie Martinez's song "Play Date". Ppl saying "Who else was here before tiktok claimed it??", "Sad this song got famous because of tiktok..", "I was here way before this song blew up." Like okay? Do you want a gold star or something?? I don't understand this mindset, you should be happy that this song and more importantly the artist is getting the recognition they deserve. Better late than never they say.
It's a superiority complex. These people want something to feel better than everyone else about. It's more sad and pathetic than anything else really.

I do not like glazed donuts they're sticky and messy and I just don't enjoy eating them alot. It kinda sucks when that's all that people get considering the amount of variety in donut shops.

Ppl love to gatekeep others because they first heard a song on tiktok and I think that's toxic and immature. For example Melanie Martinez's song "Play Date". Ppl saying "Who else was here before tiktok claimed it??", "Sad this song got famous because of tiktok..", "I was here way before this song blew up." Like okay? Do you want a gold star or something?? I don't understand this mindset, you should be happy that this song and more importantly the artist is getting the recognition they deserve. Better late than never they say.
I think it's more they don't want to be associated with a lot of cringe culture that comes with using that song in other places. Mostly because those people only care for said app/medium/movie rather than the music and showing no interest in the artist or song itself. I confess I've been like this with some stuff, for example I knew about The 5.6.7.8's way before I knew of Tarantino and when I heard people only caring about Kill Bill (which are p trashy copy movies IMO, like em if you want) and "look he used their songs in kill bill" and i'm like.. you're aware Japan does other music than visual kei and has a lot of cool indie bands or stuff lol

I think it's more they don't want to be associated with a lot of cringe culture that comes with using that song in other places. Mostly because those people only care for said app/medium/movie rather than the music and showing no interest in the artist or song itself. I confess I've been like this with some stuff, for example I knew about The 5.6.7.8's way before I knew of Tarantino and when I heard people only caring about Kill Bill (which are p trashy copy movies IMO, like em if you want) and "look he used their songs in kill bill" and i'm like.. you're aware Japan does other music than visual kei and has a lot of cool indie bands or stuff lol
That's a fair assumption. I agree. It's like hiding the fact that you like Steven Universe or MLP:FiM or anime to avoid people automatically assuming you act like those crazy fandoms do.

That's a fair assumption. I agree. It's like hiding the fact that you like Steven Universe or MLP:FiM or anime to avoid people automatically assuming you act like those crazy fandoms do.
Yeah I mean you shouldn't need to hide your fandom but if they're only gonna care for SU and not where the music actually came from I'm like... ok bye lol

I don't think Bo Burnham is funny. I used to, but I recently rewatched one of his comedy specials and I just found it kinda obnoxious.

I do not like glazed donuts they're sticky and messy and I just don't enjoy eating them alot. It kinda sucks when that's all that people get considering the amount of variety in donut shops.

Yes! Preach! I always get weird looks when I say that I don’t like glazed donuts. When I was in elementary school nearly every single person brought donuts for the class on their birthday and there came a point when the sight of them made me feel sick. I’m still not really a donut person. They make my stomach feel funky.

K Pop as a genre will never be able to make it into mainstream popularity in the English-speaking world because the language and cultural gulf between English-speaking music and Korean-speaking music is too wide. There. I said it!

I think that BTS' popularity is unprecedented in the United States (unsure of their reach in Canada/the UK/Australia) because they are the only big K Pop boy band around, their music seems to be quite unique from other pop music (lots of lyrical meaning), they're clearly talented, and they seem to be able to charismatically connect with foreign audiences. It helps that a few of them can speak English quite well, and that there is currently a gap in boy band popularity in the market. However, the way in which they are treated is as an aberration - a K Pop band that has somehow made it big internationally rather than a boy band of their own merit.

Speaking of other bands, I don't think that K Pop bands will be able to enjoy the same kind of popularity as BTS will. Language is probably the #1 issue to me - many people like to listen to music that they can understand the lyrics to, and to be able to dance and have fun! Unlike Spanish in the United States or French in Canada, Korean is not a language that is widely spoken, so they lack a large audience that will understand them or that is at least somewhat familiar with the language. Being able to conduct interviews and gigs in English is important to connecting with fans - they don't get to see the real you if you speak through an interpreter.

Plus, the entire culture of K Pop seems to be very different than what is traditionally valued in English-speaking boy (and girl) bands, chief being 'spontaneous' and 'genuine' interaction between the members and fan bases. I don't doubt that the performers themselves love what they do and their fans, and I totally agree that Western music is also extremely manufactured, but that manufactured nature is not hidden in the K Pop world whereas it is in the Western music industry. It's part of what made a band like One Direction so likeable, and it's what a lot of K Pop groups lack for me. Western audiences typically like learning about each member's personal lives, what they're really like - and K Pop management seems to really stifle and control that to an extent that isn't seen in the Western music market. Yes, artists are controlled, but management companies work hard to make it seem as if it isn't that way. It's much more difficult to connect to an artist that way, which seems to be a necessary step for success in the Western market.

Their structure and management will make it difficult for them to be promoted in the same way that Western bands typically are as well. There are so many members that it's tough to create individual and memorable images for each of them. It's much more manageable if you have only 4 or 5 members to work with rather than 10 or 12. And, unless they have the backing of a major management/record company, they won't have the infrastructure and support to deal with a whole new music market. Not that these are barriers to success in any way, BTS is still doing fine - but these are additional obstacles. Split attention between the Korean/Western markets and split desires may complicate matters.

Pokemon Snap needed to evolve for it to justify a sequel. New Pokemon Snap does not evolve, it looks like just the same old on-rails experience. There's a reason I haven't played Pokemon Snap since it came out when I was 10. No reason to revive such a series if it's just going to be the same limited level-based experience.

100% agree. All it does is cause more nastiness and hatred because people just use it as an excuse to abuse someone.

I’ve been against it even before I learned the name of this kind of protest. If the boycotts towards Chick-fil-A in 2012 and the Paula Deen incident weren’t enough, they are just the beginning. Some more egregious cases from recent times:

- The stepmother of a police officer got fired because she is related to the officer, even though she does not support the killing (to make matters worse, the victim of that said officer actually resisted his arrest).
- Aunt Jemima brand and Splash Mountain are being targeted.
- Worst of all, a Mexican-American man got fired for cracking his knuckles, not knowing that the way he did it looked like a white supremacist gesture.

I would not defend bigotry or bigoted behavior, but using someone’s past, relations, or minor actions as an excuse to hate someone is worse. Eventually, this fad will backfire, and everyone involved will be “cancelled” for their failure to forgive and for their hatred.

Pokemon Snap needed to evolve for it to justify a sequel. New Pokemon Snap does not evolve, it looks like just the same old on-rails experience. There's a reason I haven't played Pokemon Snap since it came out when I was 10. No reason to revive such a series if it's just going to be the same limited level-based experience.
I can agree. I hope it has other things or else that's not worth $80 to me. I feel like it's the type of game that I'd get bored of in two hours.

The whole 'rare villagers' thing on Youtube and Twitch is dumb, they're no rare villagers in New Horizons.
Raymond, Diana, Marshal etc..are not rare.

This is why all the less 'popular'/'non-rare' villagers get treated so poorly.

All the villagers are the same. Raymond is just like Chadder, Diana is just like Violet, Fauna is just like Cally.

Also there's like 300+ villagers in the game, so everything just random.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back