• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Want Villagers to Keep Original Clothes/Furniture, Which Favors are Safe?

kiwikenobi

GONE FROM TBT
Bells
Sautéed Mushrooms
Spores
I'd prefer not to give my non-amiibo villagers clothes that look weird on them, or to fill their houses with bugs or fish or mismatched furniture (amiibo ones I can just move out and back in to reset them, others I can't reset so easily). But I also want to do more favors to get the Smile Isle stamps. Which favors are safe to complete that won't change a villager's furniture or clothes? Maybe there's some trick you can do to complete more favors, or manipulate which gifts are given from one villager to another that I don't know about?

Doing a lost item quest is always safe (when you have to find a pouch/journal/book that they dropped around your island).
Also doing a treasure hunt counts towards the achievement but doesn't change their clothing or house.

I'm trying my best to work through that achievement as well but it's going very slowly. I don't expect to finish by the end of this year.

[edit] Realized that giving gifts doesn't count towards the Smile Isle stamp ><

From my own experience, favors that don't change clothes and furniture include giving sick villagers medicine and returning lost items. mermaidshelf mentioned treasure hunts, and I'd love to do more of those, but is there a way to make them happen? Or are they just a random favor you can be asked? Because I feel like I haven't had a villager ask me to do a treasure hunt in months.

But now that I know catching a fish or bug for a villager that requests it doesn't change their furniture, probably I'll get enough favors to safely do to get the stamps I want in a reasonable amount of time.

Though I'd still welcome more information about any favors that also don't change clothes or furniture, if there is any.

And now as a secondary question, if a villager whose house I don't mind changing asks to buy a fish or bug from my inventory, does that count as a favor toward the stamp?

From my own experience, favors that don't change clothes and furniture include giving sick villagers medicine and returning lost items. mermaidshelf mentioned treasure hunts, and I'd love to do more of those, but is there a way to make them happen? Or are they just a random favor you can be asked? Because I feel like I haven't had a villager ask me to do a treasure hunt in months.

But now that I know catching a fish or bug for a villager that requests it doesn't change their furniture, probably I'll get enough favors to safely do to get the stamps I want in a reasonable amount of time.

Though I'd still welcome more information about any favors that also don't change clothes or furniture, if there is any.

And now as a secondary question, if a villager whose house I don't mind changing asks to buy a fish or bug from my inventory, does that count as a favor toward the stamp?
I dont believe them buying one from you counts towards the stamp.

As for how to get asked more, if you keep talking to your villagers, you can get 2 requests an hour.
Its not just random as such, as the villagers who have the requests are the ones with the requests. Talking to one that doesn't have it will get you nowhere.

There is no way to know which ones have a request so you have the bug then all until you have them.

Oh my gosh!!!!! My poor villagers, I had no idea that catching them things kept them original??? This will make my gameplay 1000000 times more fun

I've been giving my villagers a lot of bugs/fish when they ask me to catch them one, can confirm, so far none of them are displaying. Good to hear someone else confirm that.

I've also been doing all of their delivery requests knowing I can always fix their wardrobes/houses later, and so far hardly any of my villagers have started wearing or displaying stuff in their house. I do wonder if the delivery requests you get by talking to them are safe, and the ones from pings unsafe? I am definitely not sure of that though, would love if someone could help me confirm or deny this.

I tried delivering some "X forgot this at my house, can you return it?" items in case they were different from "I have a gift I want to give to X, can you deliver it?" items, but villagers do seem to wear clothes from those deliveries the same as the gifts. And now I have to buy 24 fairy tale dresses to give to Judy over the course of the next month to get her to stop wearing the glaring orange comedian's outfit I unintentionally delivered to her. ^o^;>
(I think 24 is the number of clothing items that can be in a villager's inventory/closet, please let me know if I'm mistaken)

But like I and others have said, knowing that bug/fish catching quests won't change villager's houses makes such a big difference that that alone might be enough to make the favor stamps not such a hassle to get. I only need two hundred more favors for the last stamp. Even if I only complete two favors a day, that will only take a few months.

(And if the game would just remove a clothing item from a villager's inventory when you complain to Isabelle, none of us would be having this problem, but that's a separate issue...)

I tried delivering some "X forgot this at my house, can you return it?" items in case they were different from "I have a gift I want to give to X, can you deliver it?" items, but villagers do seem to wear clothes from those deliveries the same as the gifts. And now I have to buy 24 fairy tale dresses to give to Judy over the course of the next month to get her to stop wearing the glaring orange comedian's outfit I unintentionally delivered to her. ^o^;>
(I think 24 is the number of clothing items that can be in a villager's inventory/closet, please let me know if I'm mistaken)

But like I and others have said, knowing that bug/fish catching quests won't change villager's houses makes such a big difference that that alone might be enough to make the favor stamps not such a hassle to get. I only need two hundred more favors for the last stamp. Even if I only complete two favors a day, that will only take a few months.

(And if the game would just remove a clothing item from a villager's inventory when you complain to Isabelle, none of us would be having this problem, but that's a separate issue...)

Oh no, that sounds like a horrible outfit. Sorry to hear that happened... I definitely have turned my game off a few times when villagers proudly unwrapped their new baby rompers and such. Definitely wish the complaint to Isabelle was more effective. 😅

Unfortunately I seem to get delivery requests way more often than I get bug/fish requests, so 200 of those will probably still take a very long time. I do recommend keeping a few of each bug around in your storage, at least - wharf roaches are never around when you *need* them...

Are any of the "give this item to X" favors safe for keeping a villager's clothes/furniture unchanged? Or is any kind of favor involving delivering something guaranteed to give the recipient something they'll either wear or display in their house?

Are any of the "give this item to X" favors safe for keeping a villager's clothes/furniture unchanged? Or is any kind of favor involving delivering something guaranteed to give the recipient something they'll either wear or display in their house?
Those quests are not safe, Dom gave Ankha this horrible safety vest that she then wore all the time.

It seems that sometimes when you deliver an item from one villager to another, the recipient will sometimes give you the thing you just delivered to them, which means they never wear it or display it in their houses. Does anyone know if there's a way to make that consistently happen, or is it just random, or what?

Buy their stuff, bring them medicine, and find their lost items. Pretty much it.

Back