• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

What's your mother language?

What is your mother language?

• English

Votes: 117 55.5%
  • Spanish

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • German

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • French

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Japanese

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Korean

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (which?)

Votes: 41 19.4%

• Total voters
My native language is Portuguese (Brazilian Portuguese, that is).

When it comes to English, I'm self taught, so while I can read, write and listen/comprehend well enough to do those things naturally, I have no practice with actual conversations, which means I still need to work on that part.

I can understand Spanish but I wouldn't say I'm fluent. I would be able to write decently in Spanish, but I could probably communicate with other people if I needed to. Also used to listen to Real Madrid games on a Spanish radio, so it helped me a lot.

I know a thing or two in both French and Italian, but not a lot.

Tried to learn German through Duolingo a few years ago, and I still remember a few things, but it's still something I'm very far from having a basic understanding of.

I've been using Duolingo lately to learn Japanese. Yes, I love learning languages.

danish :lemon:

i'm fluent in english, and have been taking late night chinese lessons once a week for the past half year or so, though it's currently on hold. i'm terrible at sticking with apps like duolingo, so having to meet up for lessons has really helped. plus it's great to get feedback right away from a native chinese speaker.

Filipino c: Though I’m also really fluent in English.
I know a third language, though it’s a local language so I doubt it’s well-known.

Tried learning French & Japanese and I got lazy lol. Kinda wanna get back into Japanese now that I mention it.

native and first language is russian! :) more fluent in english, now, though. when i immigrated here as a child, it was super hard trying to understand everything bc nobody made any sense but look at me now

mandarin chinese... but i can't read it at all and I'm so out of practice that my english is 10000x better than my mandarin now

Mine is Urdu (never learned to read it though lol), but I only speak English now since I rarely talk to my other relatives ^^; I can also read Arabic but don’t know what it says, and I know a little French from when I was a kid

I grew up speaking English but I’m the in process of learning Spanish because my boyfriends native language is Spanish. 😊

english for me but english doesn’t make any damn sense. here’s an amusing meme that my indonesian friend n i laughed at bc they get so annoyed by english inconsistencies
98D28E75-1097-4EA2-BB9E-1A1163CD7297.jpeg

My native language is German but I moved to Australia and now I'm fluent in English as well haha :D

English, however, a lot of my immediate family only speaks Spanish, so I'm slowly learning. My mother has always spoken a bit of Spanish in the home, so I know a lot, but I'm not fluent.

Tagalog (Philippines) I can understand most of it, I guess, well whatever my parents say to me, can’t speak back well though, I don’t speak it but I can say a couple of phrases like ‘walang pera’ which means have no money 😂😂

My native language is English. Not really too keen on trying to learn another language tbh.

My native language is English. I've studied French for 5 years in high school and recently picked it back up on Duolingo. I hope to take it further and study it properly as I'm very determined to be knowledgeable in a second language. However, the current situation is draining all motivation I have for any learning right now.

When it comes to English, I'm self taught, so while I can read, write and listen/comprehend well enough to do those things naturally, I have no practice with actual conversations, which means I still need to work on that part.

Can I just say for someone who is self-taught your English is amazing. You should be proud :lemon:

Reactions: Raz
i’m half indian, but i never learned hindi bc only one parent speaks it and saw no reason to around the house. so just english.

also @ a lot of non-native english speakers...your grammar is often a lot better than ours. probs bc you have to pay more attention to it. istg we stopped learning/practicing grammar in school after middle school, but very few people actually *understood* it. i think it’s bc we learned it so young they didn’t want to go in depth abt it (i.e. explain why certain conventions exist)...or they couldn’t. i swear my 11th grade english teacher did not know how to most effectively use a semicolon. i had to explain it to her, and after class, a ton of people came up to me and were like, “dude, now semicolons finally make sense to me. thank you.”
(...i was failing her class until she went on maternity leave, though)

so yeah, don’t worry about butchering our language. native speakers butcher it on the daily.

Last edited:
Back