• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

What's your mother language?

What is your mother language?

• English

Votes: 117 55.5%
  • Spanish

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • German

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • French

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Japanese

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Korean

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (which?)

Votes: 41 19.4%

• Total voters
I grew up speaking Korean and Portuguese (Portugal) I have 3 names, an official Korean name 수아 (that's the one written on my birth certificate) a Portuguese one Catalina (what I'm called in Portugal) and on here I go by Rachel

I picked other because I grew up "learning/speaking" two languages at once. My mom would ONLY speak to me in Spanish and my dad would ONLY speak to me in English, so I acquired two languages at once as my mother tongue.

I grew up speaking English but I wish I knew Urdu. My oldest brother can speak it. When my second oldest brother was born, a speech therapist told my family that he (the 2nd) could only be exposed to one language. My family obviously chose the native language of America and stopped speaking Urdu at home. When I was born my parents spoke to me in English. I can understand a bit of Urdu from talking to other adults but I can’t carry out an actual conversation :(

i grew up speaking mandarin, and later on learned my native languages (tagalog, japanese) then studied eng. when i moved to the u.s

english, cuz I'm basic and boring. although I learned Spanish since I was in preschool through highschool. I forgot 90% of it though.

English, but I've taken a bunch of Spanish classes. My husband's family is in Mexico so I'd like be at least conversational

Mine’s English. I learned some spanish in school, enough to understand the basics. I’d love to have the opportunity to learn Japanese, but I don’t really think it’d be possible without physically going to japan and being immersed in the language and the culture. A girl can dream!!

English, although I’ve been learning Japanese for nearly two years.

I have two, Catalan and Spanish, since I grew up learning both since I was a child born basically lol. I also learnt English at school, and I took some classes of French and German. I love languages so I'd like to learn a lot more of them ☺

Back