• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

What's your mother language?

What is your mother language?

• English

Votes: 117 55.5%
  • Spanish

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • German

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • French

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Italian

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Japanese

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Korean

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (which?)

Votes: 41 19.4%

• Total voters
my mother language is polish, but it's getting a little bit rusty since i finished school and can't really apply it outside of home

My mother language is English but I did grow up hearing a lot of Korean because my parents are originally from South Korea. However they moved to different countries when they were in high school and in university so it was actually comfortable for them to speak in English to each other and to us. It's a shame I didn't learn more Korean as a child because as an adult it's quite difficult to learn. There have been studies that show the older you are, the more difficult it is to learn new things, especially language. The best time is when you're a child. However, I'm not going to give up. I currently live in South Korea and part of the reason was because I wanted to learn more about my family's culture and language. However, it's proven quite difficult because I don't get out much. My work is way more demanding than I ever thought it was going to be so I don't have too much free time.

omg hey! what dialect do you speak???
خليجية وانتي؟
I know that is not so specific as there are many dialects that come under it, but i feel they are pretty similar. I can also understand almost all other arabic dialects without problem, and we can always resort to fusha if necessary XD

Last edited:
My native language is Korean, although I've forgotten a lot of it now unfortunately... I mainly speak English, and only ever speak Korean with my parents.

My mother language is Bangladeshi, but I am most fluent in English. My parents are both from Bangladesh and so that’s why I know how to understand and semi-speak it, but realistically I know that I know how to speak English much much better.

خليجية وانتي؟
I know that is not so specific as there are many dialects that come under it, but i feel they are pretty similar. I can also understand almost all other arabic dialects without problem, and we can always resort to fusha if necessary XD
انا بعد!!!!!! 😍😍😍
wow who would have thought I'd meet someone from the gulf on tbt hahaha

Tagalog (main language in Philippines) but I also speak a different language, Ilonggo (also from Philippines but its drastically different from Tagalog) and also English, I mostly speak English mainly because its what I'm surrounded by but I speak Ilonggo to my brother and Tagalog to other filipinos I meet

Also when I first moved to Canada, people teased me about my accent so I basically assimilated myself to get rid of it by switching my entire consciousness into English, its mostly gone now that some Filipinos think I was born here but when it does slip out sometimes people think its cute now LOL

My first language was actually Portuguese and up until around 5th-6th grade I was probably more fluent in it than English, now I don't get the chance to speak it as much, but I still use it with my mom and relatives!

Persian! I grew up in Sweden though so Swedish does come a bit more naturally to me than Persian

i know a good amount of spanish (parents spanish they understand 20% of english) but I am more fluent in english

Back