• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

With the Dream Mansion being a thing, how will the US version handle censorship?

Animal Crossing New Leaf still have a censorship in place like City Folk did. So, the amount of players with "offensive" town names will be pretty low. As for the patterns, you might still run onto an inappropriate one, but I never experienced it among all the towns I went. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is monitoring every single town before they can be shown in public.

Animal Crossing New Leaf still have a censorship in place like City Folk did. So, the amount of players with "offensive" town names will be pretty low. As for the patterns, you might still run onto an inappropriate one, but I never experienced it among all the towns I went. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is monitoring every single town before they can be shown in public.

I highly doubt Nintendo has time to monitor 2million + towns in Animal Crossing.

This shouldn't really be an issue. If a parent doesn't want a kid to see offensive things then they need to monitor them. If they let the kid freely on the internet and online games than guaranteed the kid has seen worse than anything you could make offensive on Animal Crossing.

Some words are blocked. I tried to make my villagers say "Barf" and "Poop", to see what kind of words are censored, and they were blocked (but "Poo" isn't).

I don't think seeing potentially offensive town names will be the big issue; My Design may cause some problems depending on what is drawn or written into a pattern.

I highly doubt Nintendo has time to monitor 2million + towns in Animal Crossing.

This shouldn't really be an issue. If a parent doesn't want a kid to see offensive things then they need to monitor them. If they let the kid freely on the internet and online games than guaranteed the kid has seen worse than anything you could make offensive on Animal Crossing.

This exactly. Nintendo isn't responsible for what goes on in online play, and they shouldn't have to be.
They aren't going to waste time monitoring anything. The only things Nintendo does is censoring.
As listed above my post, "poop" is a censored word. "Poo" isn't because it would censor words like "pool, poor, etc".

Explicit content isn't a problem in a game like AC.

This exactly. Nintendo isn't responsible for what goes on in online play, and they shouldn't have to be.
They aren't going to waste time monitoring anything. The only things Nintendo does is censoring.
As listed above my post, "poop" is a censored word. "Poo" isn't because it would censor words like "pool, poor, etc".

Explicit content isn't a problem in a game like AC.

Yeah but they could theoretically make poo a censored word by using a conditional statement. If the word has "poo" in it, and the next letter after "poo" is "p", then they'll block it. The only word I found on Google that has "poop" in it that would be adversely affected is nincompoop.

Yes you can go to a completely random town or type in a town name. I think the amount of people that do put excessively vulgar things in their town is very low though..

But if you type a town name wouldn't loads come up?

The censorship in this game prevents the players from entering them in first place, so you won't see any.

The censorship in this game prevents the players from entering them in first place, so you won't see any.

lol yeah. That's pretty much what censoring is.

People are more concerned on the fact that the few immature people who will do things like that will be making inappropriate patterns. There isn't any way of censoring those.

I laugh when parents throw a cow over swearing in a video game.

As if their kids have never heard a swear before.

And I know that most kids are going to pick up swearing from their parents before the swearing found in media...

I laugh when parents throw a cow over swearing in a video game.

As if their kids have never heard a swear before.

Lol when I was like 13 my parents found out that I had an M game. At first they were like: "This is revolting" but now they could care less. Swearing is such a common thing in literature, TV, and art in my life now. I mean 75% of shows includes swearing, like 65% of literature includes swearing, at least in my experience.

When I was a kid my family didn't care what I played because I was a very mature young lady and could handle it.

I didn't start swearing until I was like 15. xD

Nintendo isn't responsible for what goes on in online play, and they shouldn't have to be.
They aren't going to waste time monitoring anything.

But what about hacking, Doesn't Nintendo monitor that? I knew someone who was banned from using Nintendo wi-fi connection services for using cheat codes over wifi in City folk.

But what about hacking, Doesn't Nintendo monitor that? I knew someone who was banned from using Nintendo wi-fi connection services for using cheat codes over wifi in City folk.

Even though we're not really supposed to be talking about it. I'm not sure.
I've never heard of anything like that happening before, and I'm not really sure how it could be possible for them to do it.

There has always been ways around the censorship. As long as Blanca is in the game, kids are likely going to see some naughty things. It is going to be like any other wifi trip. I'm sure there will also be a warning to kids that they are playing with people they don't know.

Even though we're not really supposed to be talking about it. I'm not sure.
I've never heard of anything like that happening before, and I'm not really sure how it could be possible for them to do it.

Sorry if we're not suppose to be talking about stuff like that, I was just curious lol

Oh man.

Bracing myself for more 'any adult who plays animal crossing is a pedophile' news.

tumblr_miqlj9ZtI41rygv1fo2_400.gif

Sorry if we're not suppose to be talking about stuff like that, I was just curious lol

It's okay! =]

@Berri
That's ridiculous. Maybe five or six years ago, I could see that being considered like that. But things have calmed down a bit since then. Online gaming has been more and more common and I think a lot of people realized that no matter what kind of game it is, there is always going to be a varied age group playing it.

I mean, look at MLP.
Probably around half of it's fanbase are teenage/adult men. =p

Oh man, the bronies. I somehow forgot about them.

I would hope you're right. I remember hearing that some news organization claimed Tortimer could be a pedophile playing as a character in order to get close to children. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry at how absurdly inaccurate that story was.

the censorship is stupid

in WW you could say crap, but you couldn't say damn...

Back