TBT's Lunar New Year 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad I checked for events! Looks like I missed a few days but I'm here now for the rest!
That dragon looks awesome!!!!

I was thinking to myself today: What if there was a dusting event in addition to the red pockets?
And then I had to brainstorm what kind of dust would be fitting for lunar new year, so I thought of fireworks.
And then that led to the idea that we could be trading or collecting gunpowder. And for a few milliseconds I thought that was brilliant, but then I realized how violent and maybe historically insensitive that would be.
And that is the story of why I'll never be invited to become project staff for TBT. 😅

I was thinking to myself today: What if there was a dusting event in addition to the red pockets?
And then I had to brainstorm what kind of dust would be fitting for lunar new year, so I thought of fireworks.
And then that led to the idea that we could be trading or collecting gunpowder. And for a few milliseconds I thought that was brilliant, but then I realized how violent and maybe historically insensitive that would be.
And that is the story of why I'll never be invited to become project staff for TBT. 😅
Your reasoning is why we have the Envelope exchange instead.

Usually, red envelopes a.k.a. hongbao (Mandarin term) or angpao (if you're from the Philippines) is filled with cash (mostly paper bill variants) and serves as a tradition of elder relatives giving money to the younger relatives for special occasions, usually as a sign of good luck and prosperity. Just throwing the general info out there.

Usually, red envelopes a.k.a. hongbao (Mandarin term) or angpao (if you're from the Philippines) is filled with cash (mostly paper bill variants) and serves as a tradition of elder relatives giving money to the younger relatives for special occasions, usually as a sign of good luck and prosperity. Just throwing the general info out there.
Some more flavor text:
I'm Vietnamese-Cantonese, so the terms I heard the most growing up for the red pockets was lì xì (Viet) or occasionally laisee (Cantonese).
At least in the Vietnamese tradition, when an elder is about to present the red envelope to an adolescent, it was an unspoken expectation that the kid would share some blessings and well-wishes to the adult. At the time, for someone who had such a poor grasp of too many languages and mastery of none, I had to cobble together what I was saying and it would often come out like this when receiving the new years money:

Uncle, I wish you no bad, bright eyes, uhhh... no bald, many moneys, not die soon, uhhh... a pretty car and house with many food... nobody hit you... and to find many friends. Follow rules and happy big time.

Well we could us bang-snaps to react to other members. And everyone would be 'snapping' each other. Those things were fun to use as kids.

I hate winter and snow, okay? It's just unnecessarily cold for no reason... but, I will admit that when the forum grass changes to green, that I will miss the pristineness and cleanliness of the white. I'm totally down for real life changes, though. Give me the scorching heat. 🔥

I hate winter and snow, okay? It's just unnecessarily cold for no reason... but, I will admit that when the forum grass changes to green, that I will miss the pristineness and cleanliness of the white. I'm totally down for real life changes, though. Give me the scorching heat. 🔥
I love cold weather, winter and snow! The change to green is always too brutal for me, then I will be whining until the snow come back, I hate heat.

I love cold weather, winter and snow! The change to green is always too brutal for me, then I will be whining until the snow come back, I hate heat.
We can agree to disagree I suppose then. 😂

I don't think we got that much exposure to the green forum background before it changed to the fall and winter colors, though. It'll be nice to see it for a bit longer. Although, I'm hoping there will be an update so the background can be geographically accurate for those in southern hemisphere.

We can agree to disagree I suppose then. 😂

I don't think we got that much exposure to the green forum background before it changed to the fall and winter colors, though. It'll be nice to see it for a bit longer. Although, I'm hoping there will be an update so the background can be geographically accurate for those in southern hemisphere.
Summer is the worst season, I'm on team snow background for sure! And I am not sure why the current background wouldn't fit the southern hemisphere but I aim to please.

1707768264296.png

Last edited:
A few clever users discovered that the December raffle tickets could be sold back for Dragon Tokens. Unfortunately we'll have to reverse the tokens earned from that!
aw man i could have had like 400 tokens

There may have been some slight changes to the forum's background settings for this event. 🤫
no but for real, I started trying to go to bed and get up earlier right around the same time these changes were implemented, and getting to see the sunrise theme when I first check TBT is actually making me feel so productive in the mornings 😭

While the Lunar New Year celebration continues, we'll also take a moment to recognize Valentine's Day with the return of the Valentine's Rose in the shop. This is a gift-only collectible that can only purchased on Valentine's Day and will be hidden from inventories around when the Lunar New Year event ends. Until, of course, they magically reappear for the next Valentine's Day.

I was WONDERING if the roses would be made visible again, haha. Wouldn't feel like Valentine's Day without them! Thank you so much, Jeremy! 💚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back