Animal Crossing: New Horizons director has removed her Twitter account after receiving numerous critical messages

Bells
ACNH Director, Aya Kyogoku removed her Twitter account. If you also use Twitter you can check there.

She deleted her account after receiving numerous critical messages.

Mod edit: Link removed

Just criticism? Not harassment or anything? Kind of weird she didn't just go private, but I understand
I was thinking that but wasn't sure how to put it! Exactly, it would have made much more sense to go private temporarily. Unless, of course there are threats of harassment but the article made no mention of that!

Sure some of the tweets aren’t very nice but that’s not really a valid reason to delete your account. I’ve seen Niantic get some nasty tweets in regards to Pokémon go and they didn’t delete their account. It just seems like she doesn’t want anyone voicing their opinions if it’s negative

Aw, I hope she wasn’t harassed. I know criticism for the game is valid, but it would get really overwhelming to have people constantly complain to you on social media. People should post criticisms to the ACNH twitter, not the director’s personal account

Eh, I think it up to her if she wants to delete it.
I agree. Maybe there were other reasons we're not aware
I deleted my twitter account a while ago just because I didn't agree with some of the stuff my younger self posted. I haven't created a new one because I feel twitter is a bit toxic and I take things too personally

Sure some of the tweets aren’t very nice but that’s not really a valid reason to delete your account. I’ve seen Niantic get some nasty tweets in regards to Pokémon go and they didn’t delete their account. It just seems like she doesn’t want anyone voicing their opinions if it’s negative
It can be extremely damaging to someone's mental health to be on the receiving end of so much public criticism. It would've been in her best interests to cut that line of contact.

It just seems like she doesn’t want anyone voicing their opinions if it’s negative
But deleting her account wouldn't stop that. People just have to direct it to other channels. I imagine that everybody wants to separate work from personal life a little bit and that must have been difficult for her

oh wow, that's unfortunate! i feel like i've noticed a lot of entitlement for updates that ppl think "need" to go in the game, so i understand how that could be hard to manage...

just a reminder that devs dont really owe any of us anything, it's good to give feedback but be constructive instead of demanding!

idk how to say this without being too incendiary but gamers truly are the worst kind of fanbase. I don't know how developers even do it. I mean, is it even worth it to make games when you're inevitably going to run into a bunch of manbabies? sure, all types of fanbases can be toxic, but it feels like video game fans are the worst of the worst.

there's a lot to criticize about ACNH. it's not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. and I'm not one to coddle corporations; if you feel you're being sold a shoddy product, you have every right to complain (especially when said product is as expensive as ACNH). but do so through the appropriate channels. there's a time and a place for everything.

I understand Animal Crossing is a series many hold dear and seeing changes (or lack thereof) may lead to feelings of disappointment or even anger. However, there is a fine line between constructive criticism and bullying/negative behavior. Even excessive amounts of either can have us yearning for some time away. The same also applies to an influx of positive comments. Constant messages and feedback of any kind can be emotionally taxing.

Sending positivity to her for being part of the creation of what is still a great game and to everyone else that continues to play, and create, share, and discuss New Horizons content. 🥰

Last edited:
I didn’t see where it said it was her personal twitter. I just thought deleting it was a bit weird when she could simply change her privacy settings. I do agree that the gaming fandom can be harsh and not very nice

I can understand why. People are always gong on on about how he game is "unfinished" and this thing should have been in the base game and that we "need" this other thing and they owe stuff and people keep demanding things. Must be tough..

I'm all for someone doing something positive for their mental health, especially game devs. I've seen a lot of criticism for the game and Nintendo in general and reading that all the time can really wear on you, no matter how "nice" people think they're being. She can bring her account back within 30 days iirc, so she's probably just going to take a break.

People can be REALLY persistent when it comes to harassing people, and particularly women, online in the video game scene when they're mad about something. There are tons of previous examples of women who have been absolutely hounded, stalked, harassed, threatened, etc. for the dumbest crap! So while I don't know if anything like that has happened to her, I also REALLY don't blame her for being overly cautious--who knows, maybe it's just a load off her mind to axe the account completely and be able to just forget about it.

I hope she's gotten some of the positive feedback out there too though. NH has been so freaking great for me during quarantine it's ridiculous. I would have loved it no matter what but this year in particular, omfg. I'm SO. GLAD. the timing worked out the way it did and I love it to PIECES.

I'm surprised Masahiro Sakurai hasn't deleted his Twitter with all the BS people send him. I seriously hope she wasn't harassed or bullied. Twitter is such a toxic site.

Back