• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Animal Crossing New Horizons has gone 2 months without an update and we’re going into July with not only no new features or events but nothing new at

I was thinking about this yesterday...should the upcoming update fail (and I have a nasty feeling it will), what're we looking at in terms of next possible timeframe...Halloween?
Yeah I think in September of last year we got a trailer telling us how to shake acorns. So probably October.

I was thinking about this yesterday...should the upcoming update fail (and I have a nasty feeling it will), what're we looking at in terms of next possible timeframe...Halloween?
Yep. Going by the game's major holidays, Halloween is the next possible date.

The internal updates seem to approach it by seasons.
  • ver1.0.0 was Launch
  • ver1.1.0 was ReleaseDatePatch (Bunny Day)
  • ver1.2.0 was Ver1Spring (Leif, Redd, Nature Day, Museum Day, May Day, Wedding Season)
  • ver1.3.0 was Ver1Summer (Pascal, Gullivarr, diving)
  • ver1.4.0 was Ver1Summer2 (Luna, Fireworks)
  • ver1.5.0 was Ver1Autumn (Halloween)
  • ver1.6.0 was Ver1Winter (Turkey Day, Toy Day)
  • ver1.7.0 was NewYear2021 (Festivale)
  • ver1.8.0 was Spring1st2021 (Super Mario 35th Anniversary)
  • ver1.9.0 was Spring2nd2021 (Sanrio, Bunny Day 2021)
  • ver1.10.0 was Summer1st2021 (Museum Day, May Day, Wedding Season 2021)
So the next one is most likely Summer2nd2021 (Fireworks 2021). Then Fall (Halloween 2021), then Winter (Turkey Day, Toy Day 2021).

Last edited:
Hi I kinda have a genuine question:
For people that gave up/quit playing the game, is there a specific update you’re looking for that will bring you back into playing the game regularly?

Obviously so many people want Brewster, a store upgrade, etc. but I don’t really see how those things could bring a lot of longevity to the game since the core gameplay wouldn’t really change.

I definitely could see how improving villagers would make a big difference though, by adding more favors, activities, and more dialogue that is spread between the island

Honestly, I feel this game is lacking SO MANY things that it'd be unreleastic to say that, if they were added, I'd play it again, because that simply won't happen.

For starters, this game is severely lacking in the interaction aspect. Villagers act like flowerpots and the only requests they have is "give this to X" or "bring me a fish/bug", with the occasional "I lost my bag/pouch/book" and "do you want to go hunt for my treasure?". Where are the hide-and-seek minigames, the "go fetch me this villager", the house visits (whether planned or unplanned), the "bury this capsule for me and dig it up in a month" and many more? Their dialogue is repetitive, although I agree the last time I played some months ago it had been tweaked; I don't know what the current state is, though. They just look cute and admittedly the best they've ever looked, but that's it.

Secondly, there are not enough relevant furniture items and the most iconic collections (regal, astro, etc.) have been scrapped in favor of others, instead of just adding both of them. My house used to feature all of Gracie's collection and the Gorgeous Set was my favorite one. Now, both these collections and the NPC that used to sell them are nowhere to be seen.

And speaking of which, many NPCs have been removed and the few that have survived are as useful as a chocolate teapot. They're lifeless and they've been reduced to a fraction of what they used to be. I don't know if it has to do with being politically correct or not, but they all sound the same and most of them are NPCs you'll just want to interact once due to their uselessness (looking at you, Label). I personally don't care about Brewster but it's true he's been there for years now so it doesn't make sense for him and many others (Katrina, Gracie, Kapp'n, etc.) to be completely disregarded like that.

Also, the lack of upgrades for some buildings is difficult to understand. Why has more than a whole year gone by and the shop hasn't received an update in this period of time other than the initial one? This whole "deserted island" doesn't make sense anymore for most players who have been playing since day 1 or close to that date. Their islands most likely couldn't look less of a deserted island at this point, so making it look like it's difficult for resources to get there doesn't make sense now. The same applies to Resident Services customizations or your own house. New Leaf used to have more variety in that regard (in fact, there's zero customization options for Resident Services, and it looks, if not exactly the same, very similar to the NL town hall). I could add to this the lack of new/already-existing-but-not-in-the-game buildings and not just the customization of the ones currentl found in NH.

Finally, the Nook Mile Islands feature is rendered useless after a period of time has gone by. I think this was meant to substitute the island from NL where you went to catch exclusive fish and play online if you didn't find some stupid person who wouldn't let you go back. You could play minigames that have been discarded and take home durians, bananas, lychees and lemons and plant them in your own town, but, of course, they're not here. Neither are perfect fruits.

Honestly, I believe trading all of this for the ability to modify the terrain and place furniture outside isn't that worth it after all this time. They're cool features, but once the island looks exactly like you want it to look, you probably won't use that feature afgain. I didn't think about that at the beginning because I didn't even know the extent to which this game was missing these features (and probably more I've forgotten).

Sorry for the long rant, it's just I wanted this game to be the "ultimate" experience but instead it's been a disappointment to me (and many others, I see). So to answer your question: if all of the above was added, I'd consider picking the game up again.

Dude, we don’t need an update every two weeks or less. Don’t rush the devs for not updating the game as often as you want. Nintendo has a bunch of games and they can’t just update one game when they have others. The employees there have families to support especially during the pandemic and their families need them more than a video game.

I don't think people are asking for an update every two weeks.... But we haven't had an update of any kind for a while now, and it's starting to make a lot of people upset which is completely OK. (I'm starting to feel unmotivated and bored of the game myself).

Yes they have other games on board that they need to pay attention too, but that doesn't mean they should leave ACNH completely in the dust, which is what it feels like they have done. I don't think it's unfair to be upset about not having an update for months, since so many people are burnt out or even just completely done with the game and won't be returning to it. Everyone's feelings here are valid, and no one is full on attacking Nintendo's devs from what I have seen.

I don't think people are asking for an update every two weeks.... But we haven't had an update of any kind for a while now, and it's starting to make a lot of people upset which is completely OK. (I'm starting to feel unmotivated and bored of the game myself).

Yes they have other games on board that they need to pay attention too, but that doesn't mean they should leave ACNH completely in the dust, which is what it feels like they have done. I don't think it's unfair to be upset about not having an update for months, since so many people are burnt out or even just completely done with the game and won't be returning to it. Everyone's feelings here are valid, and no one is full on attacking Nintendo's devs from what I have seen.
Plus the updates we have gotten thus far have yet to address many of the issues that fans have been talking about since launch. The only noteworthy update we got was diving/Redd and Leif/bushes (and maybe pumpkins/sanrio/mario but those are kinda smallish in the grand scheme) but that's all the bigger updates that we haven't gotten in the span of almost a 1-n-half year.

And swimming/diving on an island should had been a thing from the start if you ask me lol. Part of me thinks those big updates that happened soon after launch were just not ready to be implemented. So even after their initial delay, they were still behind.

don't say that 😭
I wouldn't put it past them, especially since they never bothered to find a work around for multiple islands on one switch system.

Honestly, I believe trading all of this for the ability to modify the terrain and place furniture outside isn't that worth it after all this time.

I don't think I could ever part with putting furniture outside, but the terraforming is definitely a feature I'd trade in for some others. I feel that feature has caused me more depression than it should have. I don't even touch that feature anymore. It felt great at first to have the power to remove the rivers, ngl.

I don't think I could ever part with putting furniture outside, but the terraforming is definitely a feature I'd trade in for some others. I feel that feature has caused me more depression than it should have. I don't even touch that feature anymore. It felt great at first to have the power to remove the rivers, ngl.
If they would just rework how terraforming works or give it QoL features that would fix a lot of issues for many on the fence. Heck even disabling auto-save when terraforming would be great. Finished and not liking what you did? Just shut the game off and now you don't have to worry about undoing what you did piece by piece.

Auto-save and not allowing cloud saves (before) were all set in place to counter cheating (in Nintendo's mind) but in the end they just seemed to punish and restrict everyone. It's like making laws. It's only going to affect law abiding citizens. For the record, I don't care what anyone does with their game.

Heck even disabling auto-save when terraforming would be great. Finished and not liking what you did? Just shut the game off and now you don't have to worry about undoing what you did piece by piece.

This has been something I've wanted since getting terraforming. It's sucks I can't experiment without causing permanent damage/changes. It would be more freeing if we could experiment and then have a chance to apply changes or revert.

Am I the only one that wants more fruit? Like bananas and persimmons and stuff? Even though I doubt we will get them.

Even more trees would be neat. We still have the same 3 classic AC trees. Something like birch or willow would be cool

This has been something I've wanted since getting terraforming. It's sucks I can't experiment without causing permanent damage/changes. It would be more freeing if we could experiment and then have a chance to apply changes or revert.
Yeah, I strongly disagree with making terraforming easier or anything because I believe the heart of the game is and always has been putting in effort and earning your rewards. No short cuts. Things as big as designing your island should not be quick and easy.

However... with how hard it is, a way to reverse what you just did would be very handy.
I once spent hours making something, hated it, and then spent hours putting it back to how it was.

The plus side was it didn't go back exactly as it was before and I actually preferred it a lot more after. But the changes made did not really reflect how many hours it should have taken.

Guys I’m so sad lol. I miss posting ac but I just can’t get myself to play it again..and for me, the burn out doesn’t apply, I binged new leaf so much more when I got it..
I’m just so disappointed they gave us this unfinished game and then those mediocre updates...this game had the potential to become the best game in the franchise had they fully committed and that’s what’s making me sad, like, it had so much potential. Personally I’m done hoping for better updates or content. I might as well go back to NL, I spend over 900 hrs on that and for NH it’s “only” 400ish- for me as animal crossing fan that’s not that much :<
Sorry for my ramblings I’m just so sad abt the state of the game lol

Yeah, I strongly disagree with making terraforming easier or anything because I believe the heart of the game is and always has been putting in effort and earning your rewards. No short cuts. Things as big as designing your island should not be quick and easy.

However... with how hard it is, a way to reverse what you just did would be very handy.
I once spent hours making something, hated it, and then spent hours putting it back to how it was.

The plus side was it didn't go back exactly as it was before and I actually preferred it a lot more after. But the changes made did not really reflect how many hours it should have taken.
That's literally what JKDOS said. They didn't say to make terraforming easier. Just to be able to undo anything you didn't like without wasting more time.

I think that all they need to do is add in more in-depth villager interaction and it would fix 60% of peoples gripes with the game.
Yeah, like maybe allowing villagers to vist your house and you can set up times to meet like in New leaf, or maybe they will start clapping when you play an instrument. I bet that alone would bring a lot of players back

Visiting would be nice to do again. That would be a lot of fun. Seeing villagers clap when playing with their instruments was always cute and I loved sitting on benches with them when their friendship was high enough and they smiled gleefully. None of these things would bring people back in mass, but they were packed in the older games from day 1 and all those little/simple things helped to make the game feel more alive and that there was always something that you could get into.

By comparison, NL allowed you to make 4 different snow-people types and NH dropped it to just one. Both snowman in the games are similar in every way. So there was nothing new to this and they cut 3/4 of that content. That's quite a big chunk and nothing new was added to this activity.

…they cut 3/4 of that content. That's quite a big chunk and nothing new was added to this activity.

Terraforming in its current state and placing items outside was HUGE, but I think that we were hoping that eventually these little things that we loved would be added into the game over time. And at first it looked like that would be the case…

Back