• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons releases on March 20th, 2020

I just hope that this means the game is actually 100% complete at launch unlike some other titles Nintendo has released on Switch. Animal Crossing is very dear to me so I'd rather wait longer to get my hands on it when it's ready rather than dealing with dumb issues that get fixed in updates months later.

Looking at you Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Maker 2 smh

Last edited:
This gives me plenty of time to save up for a switch! I wonder/hope they'll bring out a special AC edition, so if I get the right amount of money, I can get that one. :)

I just hope that this means the game is actually 100% complete at launch unlike some other titles Nintendo has released on Switch. Animal Crossing is very dear to me so I'd rather wait longer to get my hands on it when it's ready rather than dealing with dumb issues that get fixed in updates months later.

Looking at you Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Maker 2 smh

FWIW, that's not a Nintendo specific thing. Because game developers know that they can push out updates, and don't have to have a 100% complete game at release like back in the old days, many game developers don't 100% complete a game now. They would rather push it out sooner so they can start getting sales. I know how you feel though.

Honestly, I'm not too sure if I'd care if New Horizons was released incomplete. Think about it. The game releases in March, so they could ignore later events like Halloween and Christmas until later in the year, and push an update to include those.

Some people might not like it because they would have an incomplete game on a physical cartridge. Also when the servers for updates are eventually turned off and you want to play the game again on a new device, you are left with an incomplete game. In some cases (not Nintendo) these games are not even playable without download. Seeing that Animal Crossing is a game where you might pick up again older titles, it would be sad to be missing events or other important features.

Some people might not like it because they would have an incomplete game on a physical cartridge. Also when the servers for updates are eventually turned off and you want to play the game again on a new device, you are left with an incomplete game. In some cases (not Nintendo) these games are not even playable without download. Seeing that Animal Crossing is a game where you might pick up again older titles, it would be sad to be missing events or other important features.

an incomplete game would still probably have many many features, and you could still buy the new game when a full version is released. you bring up a good point, but this is a case that would effect very few people.

I was hoping the game would be out sooner but I'll live... I'm really excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I planned on getting the limited edition switch (assuming it gets one) so I've been waiting for a long time to get a switch but I think now I'm just gonna get one soon and get smash and other games before summers over

FWIW, that's not a Nintendo specific thing. Because game developers know that they can push out updates, and don't have to have a 100% complete game at release like back in the old days, many game developers don't 100% complete a game now. They would rather push it out sooner so they can start getting sales. I know how you feel though.

I get that, I'm not new to this industry or anything. That doesn't mean people should have to tolerate products that aren't finished. You ARE paying for it and if the game doesn't sell enough copies the developers might not get to finish what they had planned to finish through updates. Releasing games in unfinished state leads to a lot of negative publicity and may impact sales and even first impressions of the game to people. I think if they want this game to shine it should be feature complete at the very least.

Selling lots of weeds lol...that sounds bad when you don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited:
To anyone bummed about the 9 month wait. Let me say this, the game was promised in 2019, so being delayed to March is at the very least, a 3 month delay.

I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely did not expect the game to drop anywhere before November.

346kbx.jpg

The wait for New Leaf was much much longer. Announced in 2010, and not released in NA until June 2013.

Last edited:
The wait for New Leaf was much much longer. Announced in 2010, and not released in NA until June 2013.

And it should also noted that NL's release was so spread out-November 2012 was when it came out in Japan and it came out in February 2013 in South Korea. Now, New Horizons will come out all over the world at the same time, so basically everyone is having to wait the same amount of time.

And it should also noted that NL's release was so spread out-November 2012 was when it came out in Japan and it came out in February 2013 in South Korea. Now, New Horizons will come out all over the world at the same time, so basically everyone is having to wait the same amount of time.

i keep remembering how long it took them to release new leaf, and then it makes me so thankful that new horizons is taking such a short time. it'll only take them a year and a half to announce and release and im so thankful...

New Leaf came out about 4.5 years after City Folk in the US. New Horizons is coming out about 6.75 years after New Leaf. The wait for New Horizons is MUCH longer.

New Leaf came out about 4.5 years after City Folk in the US. New Horizons is coming out about 6.75 years after New Leaf. The wait for New Horizons is MUCH longer.

Yeah but he meant from announcement to release, the wait for new horizons is much shorter. 18 months compared to waiting 3 years for new leaf.

We're not the mayor anymore? Hey, does anyone agree with me when I say New Leaf needs an update to go further than the year 2050? Because I'd still be playing the game by then, and in one of my towns, I hate time travelling. So coming from December the thirty-first, 2050 to January the first, 2012 is going to annoy me. And why can't I align things in the middle as I can in Happy Home Designer?

For instance, say if I have a desk, I would like the chair to go in the middle, not right in front of the cabinet. Or the piano. It goes in the middle, not the left or the right? Anyone with me?!

We're not the mayor anymore? Hey, does anyone agree with me when I say New Leaf needs an update to go further than the year 2050? Because I'd still be playing the game by then, and in one of my towns, I hate time travelling. So coming from December the thirty-first, 2050 to January the first, 2012 is going to annoy me. And why can't I align things in the middle as I can in Happy Home Designer?

For instance, say if I have a desk, I would like the chair to go in the middle, not right in front of the cabinet. Or the piano. It goes in the middle, not the left or the right? Anyone with me?!

That's fixed in New Horizons. You're going to be able to move furniture like in Happy Home Designer. And I'm sure we're going to be something like the mayor, but there isn't much point in it happening immediately because we have to build the town up. Can't mayor a town if there is no town.

At first, I was really hesitant in buying New Horizons, but now I saw some articles and youtube videos, I CANNOT WAIT!!!! But it's only just over a month away for the Switch Lite, and I have to games to preoccupy myself with while I wait. Plus, time flies while I study for uni assignments and stuff.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's fixed in New Horizons. You're going to be able to move furniture like in Happy Home Designer. And I'm sure we're going to be something like the mayor, but there isn't much point in it happening immediately because we have to build the town up. Can't mayor a town if there is no town.

Dude, sorry for no reply, I thought I was still subscribed to this thread. This is great to hear! And your last sentence makes total sense, and I sort of laughed.

Back