• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Ask AC:NL Questions here! (Please read before posting here or making a new thread!)

Is there any surefire way to get a particular villager to move out without losing any others on accident? I've seen contrasting methods on the internet and I'm wondering which you guys know works best. Thanks :)

Well, I believe the fastest way to do it is either befriend them or completely ignore them (like, introduce yourself and never talk to them again) and then uhm... I just time travel to get pings? I found the rumors post very useful http://http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?145364-Villager-Moving-Rumors-%28guide%29
and I pretty much used this method http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/66933880
and I haven't lost a single villager while trying to move someone out! Just make sure you don't have a mover by talking to everyone and walking in front of them and don't time travel too many days.

Well, I believe the fastest way to do it is either befriend them or completely ignore them (like, introduce yourself and never talk to them again) and then uhm... I just time travel to get pings? I found the rumors post very useful http://http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?145364-Villager-Moving-Rumors-%28guide%29
and I pretty much used this method http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/66933880
and I haven't lost a single villager while trying to move someone out! Just make sure you don't have a mover by talking to everyone and walking in front of them and don't time travel too many days.

ok im gonna try this one! i assume i should wait til my new villager unpacks their stuff since otherwise they won't be outside and able to ping? or will new villagers not end up being movers?

Oops I should have been more clear. I meant boxes because they just moved in, not boxes from moving out.

In this case, their house will be normal because they will have finished unpacking.

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok im gonna try this one! i assume i should wait til my new villager unpacks their stuff since otherwise they won't be outside and able to ping? or will new villagers not end up being movers?

You need to wait for a villager to unpack before you can move them out. It's only one day, though. New villagers can move but if it's your 10th villager, it's much less likely.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is there any surefire way to get a particular villager to move out without losing any others on accident? I've seen contrasting methods on the internet and I'm wondering which you guys know works best. Thanks :)

There isn't really a completely risk-free way since most methods involve time travelling, but if you're careful not to pick the wrong options, you should be fine. If you don't want to time travel, all you can do is be patient. There isn't a way to get a specific villager to move because it's random. Some people swear by ignoring them and some people say that you should aggressively befriend them. In my case, the villagers who have pinged me the most are somewhere between those two extremes.

The method I use is pretty safe but it involves time travelling. If you decide to try it, make sure that you have the Beautiful Town ordinance. You'll get bed hair and weeds but hopefully you don't mind those. I can't find the thread where I first read it so I'll try to explain it quickly.

When you get a villager to ping you, save the game and quit. Set the 3DS date to a Monday of a week with no events in it. Load the game as your mayor (because you denied a request to move before skipping some time, nobody will have moved out) and immediately save and quit. Go to your 3DS settings and change the year to one year later. This time, start the game as a new character. After the train sequence, you'll get the map from the station but don't go to the Town Hall. Just check the map to see who's missing. Quit without saving and go back to your 3DS settings. Set the date one year back again.

Load the game as your mayor and go find the villager who would be missing in the future. If that villager doesn't ping you, talk to them a few times, save and quit, and load the game again. Go talk to that villager again and if they still don't mention moving, save and quit, and try again. Keep doing that until that villager asks you about moving.

If it's a villager you want to keep, say no, then save the game and quit. Go to your 3DS settings and set it one year forward again. This time, load the game as your mayor and immediately save and quit. Set the date another year later and use a new character to check who's missing, then go back one year again (the year you saved as the mayor the last time you skipped a year and saved and quitted) and use the mayor to talk to that character as I explained before. Keep repeating this process until it's a villager you want to move out.

When it's a villager you want to get rid of, pay attention to the date they say when they ask you about moving out, and tell them to go. Save and quit. You can now set your 3DS date to your normal date. Time travelling back is one day forward, so if the villager was going to move in 5 days they will now move in 4.

This method is pretty safe as long as you don't pick the wrong option when you're supposed to start with a new character.

I'm sorta kinda freaking out? I just asked wendy to move in to my town after molly left on april 2nd. I tt'ed one day forward and her plot didn't show up. I tt'ed to the next day and her plot still didn't show up... do i just keep TT'ing until her plot shows up? or?

Sometimes when smug villagers visit my house, they won't follow me around the house. They'll only stay in the main room. I'll go to the back or side and they don't walk in. I've never had this problem with any other villagers except smug villagers.

Why does this sometimes happen? Is it normal for them to not follow?

I'm sorta kinda freaking out? I just asked wendy to move in to my town after molly left on april 2nd. I tt'ed one day forward and her plot didn't show up. I tt'ed to the next day and her plot still didn't show up... do i just keep TT'ing until her plot shows up? or?

Sometimes they can take a few days to show up, so maybe you could try to time travel an extra day. You could start as a new character, check for a plot without going to the town hall, and quit without saving if you don't find one (then do that more times to see if a plot shows up at all and save if it does).

Otherwise, did you save when you invited Wendy? Maybe something went wrong with that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sometimes when smug villagers visit my house, they won't follow me around the house. They'll only stay in the main room. I'll go to the back or side and they don't walk in. I've never had this problem with any other villagers except smug villagers.

Why does this sometimes happen? Is it normal for them to not follow?

Have you checked to see if they're hidden in the doorway? Sometimes villagers follow me into the other rooms in my house but stay by the door, and sometimes they're sort of hidden. If you change the camera angle or turn back and try to talk to them, you'll see them. If that's not it, then that's weird. It's never happened to me, even when my Smug visits me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Quick question, you can have multiples of PWPs like benches, right? I'm not talking about benches of different styles but the same benches. I figure that you can but I can't remember exactly.

Sometimes they can take a few days to show up, so maybe you could try to time travel an extra day. You could start as a new character, check for a plot without going to the town hall, and quit without saving if you don't find one (then do that more times to see if a plot shows up at all and save if it does).

Otherwise, did you save when you invited Wendy? Maybe something went wrong with that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Have you checked to see if they're hidden in the doorway? Sometimes villagers follow me into the other rooms in my house but stay by the door, and sometimes they're sort of hidden. If you change the camera angle or turn back and try to talk to them, you'll see them. If that's not it, then that's weird. It's never happened to me, even when my Smug visits me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Quick question, you can have multiples of PWPs like benches, right? I'm not talking about benches of different styles but the same benches. I figure that you can but I can't remember exactly.

I think i had that problem too lol. But i have not got a smug villager in my town for such a long time so i can not check it hahah!

Yep, you can have multiple of the same benches. :) Same goes for streetlights and I'm sure a few other PWPS, as well.

Go to the day Wendy was supposed to move in. Scout the town first for her plot, if she's not there, get that characters TPC and save then load up the day with your mayor. Save & Quit and then TT to the next day and scout the town once more.
I can't say for sure this method 100% works but I've had a similar problem and I did this to "fix" it.

Yep, you can have multiple of the same benches. :) Same goes for streetlights and I'm sure a few other PWPS, as well.

Thanks! :D I assume that includes the log bench? I looked it up in the AC Wiki and it's listed under PWPs that can be used to sit on but aren't officially benches so I'm confused.

Last edited:
Thanks! :D I assume that includes the log bench? I looked it up in the AC Wiki and it's listed under PWPs that can be used to sit on but aren't officially benches so I'm confused.
I would imagine so! I only have one in my town so I can't guarantee it 100%, but I'd be really friggin' surprised if you can only have one log bench.

Hey :) Just a quick question - what does TBT and BTB stand for when it's about money? I couldn't find where it's explained :)

It's the points you make here on the forum by posting stuff. You can see how many you have by looking at the side bar under your username. You can use it to buy collectibles from the site's shop or to trade for stuff like in-game bells (IGB) and items with other people. You can find an explanation here: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?64715-The-Bell-System-Beginner-s-Guide

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would imagine so! I only have one in my town so I can't guarantee it 100%, but I'd be really friggin' surprised if you can only have one log bench.

Thanks! I'll test it out, I guess, but I'd be surprised by that too.

Yeah, I did. I remember after asking her to move in, I needed to delete a character so I saved after playing with my mayor character, then switched over to the character i needed to delete. So then I deleted the character and then tt'ed one day forward. I think I went as far as the day after bunny day (April 6th i think?) and her plot still didn't show up...

I'm not sure how to solve this, so thought I'd ask here. When my friend opens her gates, it errors ever time I try to go over just after the waiting for the train part. Yet she's able to come to my town just fine? :confused:

I just heard from Apple that one of my dreamies, Cherry, is thinking about moving away. :'( I talked to Cherry after and she said nothing about leaving town. How soon will she ping me and ask about moving?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to solve this, so thought I'd ask here. When my friend opens her gates, it errors ever time I try to go over just after the waiting for the train part. Yet she's able to come to my town just fine? :confused:

Is it possible that one of you is missing a 3DS update? It's weird that she can visit you but not the other way around, since I get a lot of errors but it tends to go both ways. Have you checked if there are any issues with your connections and maybe tried going somewhere where the wifi signal is stronger? Maybe you could try to look up the error code on Nintendo's site and see if there's a fix.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just heard from Apple that one of my dreamies, Cherry, is thinking about moving away. :'( I talked to Cherry after and she said nothing about leaving town. How soon will she ping me and ask about moving?

Try talking to Cherry a few times, save and quit, and talk to her again. If she's not pinging, wait for a bit and then try doing that again.

If that's not working, save the game and quit. Set your 3DS settings to at least a week from now. Start the game as a new character (not your mayor). As soon as you walk out of the station, check the map to confirm that Cherry is missing from it and then quit without saving. Set the 3DS date back to normal and load as your mayor again. Find Cherry, talk to her. If she's still not pinging, save, quit, and go talk to her again. Just do that last part a few times and she should ping. That's what I tend to do when villagers are really refusing to ping me.

Are there any events coming up soon in your game? Villagers won't ping you during that time so that could be it.

I had this problem too when i was on vacation, i guess bad wifi or something? It works just fine when i am home!

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thanks for the advice. :) It's definitely they don't come through at all. I guess I'll won't let them come visit anymore. I don't want to run the risk of glitching the game.

Back