• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Celebrating Diversity: New Horizons Character Designing Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was a little unsure of making a personal post, but seeing others open up has been really heartwarming so i decided to celebrate my own identity as well.

79329D2E-B28D-43C0-883C-5878168ADC1F.jpeg

i am non-binary and pansexual and only recently have been feeling comfortable coming out to people. i am not out to everyone, including my family, which is why my rep is still partially in the shadow. i designed a dress to celebrate my identity as nonbinary with the transgender flag colors on the sleeves and collar and pansexual with the pansexual flag colors on the heart and bottom trim (also my rep is holding the pan pride flag). i chose impish horns and wings to represent some perceptions of non gender/sex conforming people as sinful or corrupting society. the bandages represent the pain of non acceptance and hurtful actions of others bc of identity. the process of coming out has been difficult but overall very rewarding, and i hope to one day live my life completely out of the shadows without feeling shy for who i am 😊 seeing everyone celebrate who they are has been very uplifting so thank you all for sharing

heres the design if anyone is interested. feel free to pm me if you want a different skin tone
710B8815-6F55-4673-BCCA-4417FFFB560B.jpeg

in honour of it being pride month, i decided that today, i’d like to celebrate a part of the LGBTQ+ community that doesn’t get talked about much - those who are questioning. i’ve spent the last 4 years jumping from labelling myself as pansexual to lesbian to bisexual and back again, and have even done so on here, so today i’d like to affirm to both myself and anyone else here who may be questioning that it’s okay to not have a label. to me, diversity isn’t just for those who fall under specific categories; it’s for those who prefer to live without labels or who are still finding themselves, too. with this outfit, i’m embracing that i am a part of the Q in the LGBTQ+ community and that that’s okay. i also threw in some italian flag face paint, to represent my ethnicity. 💚

View attachment 381623

View attachment 381622

i know that i wrote way more than 1-3 sentences, but hopefully this’ll still count. >_<
I just have to say, that I love this! Thank you @xara for highlighting this aspect of diversity. Well done!
Plus, I really like the rainbow couch.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 381945
I'm just going with a picture of me.
I could add things to show all the ways I am different but I'm not going to. Because I'm just me. We are all just us.

We all deserve to be treated with dignity and respect. It doesn't matter how you look on the outside. It doesn't matter who you love. It matters who you are on the inside. And no amount of pictures or symbols can show that.

The one thing I think it most important is to just be kind. Treat everyone how you would want to be treated. And I don't mean treat others as you want to be treated as you. Treat them as if you lead the same life as they have, and how you would want to be treated then.

Its okay if you mess up. Just learn from it.

So yeah, I'm just me. Want to know more? Get to know me.
You won't (normally) see people walking around with giant signs saying how they're different from you so people should get used to that and just be kind. :)
I just wanna say, @Moritz, that I love your statement! Thank you for taking the time, thinking it through and sharing it. Beautiful!

View attachment 381736
I went for a (maybe kinda convoluted lol) topic that has related to me and particularly one close friend lately:
People are unique and greatly varied, and we come from many different backgrounds and contexts, with different ideas, mental healths, families/support groups, socio-economic backgrounds (the brain, person and bell coin on the hat), gender and sexual identities (the pride flags on the dress and hat), and emotional and health backgrounds (the heart and scan on the dress, as well as the eyepatch and wrinkles). In particular, due to health situations, such as the scoliosis scan seen on the dress, this friend has been forced to stop working, and watch all her friends of the same age progress in their educations, careers, and other goals.

From this idea, I wanted to create a character that sent the message that, despite different diverse backgrounds and challenges, there will still be multiple paths of life people can take, even if they take different amounts of time. Just because a path doesn't match up to the expectations and timelines of other people, such as heading off to university, doesn't mean isn't valid or special. Just because people come from different backgrounds, and face different challenges, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of paths open to them, in their own time.

As you can't hold a timer in nh, I made the timer flag to represent this individual timing, and the yellow dots and arrows on the dress were meaning to point to all the different opportunities or pathways someone can take in life despite these differences and potential blockages.
Can I just say, WOW! Well done. I’m very touched, @Believe_In_Kittens

This event is really, really special! Thank you to the staff for setting it up. I am so touched by what I’m reading. The pictures are great, but the statements that accompany them are what has me really moved. This highlights what makes this forum so incredible. I am just so grateful that I have found it. I really think that, here, we have created a microcosm of what the larger world could be. It gives me hope.

Last edited:
View attachment 381949

so for my entry, i am representing lesbians, genderfluid, and demigirls!!
i have the lesbian flag on my cheeks to represent myself, and also my partner!
i also have a genderfluid sweater to represent my partner!
and lastly, a demigirl flag to represent my best friend!
i may not be genderfluid or a demigirl, but i still wanted to support my loved ones, as well as the rest of you on tbt who identify as these! you guys are all valid, i love you so much!
as a demi I approve:v 10/10

1624651299991.png

My parents were born in small farming and fishing villages in Vietnam; American cinema has popularized a specific image of what a Vietnamese woman looks like, and my dark skin and voluminous hair doesn't really match, but I have come to love my skin and am happy to not fit the mold. To me, celebrating diversity means loving all people, even if they don't look how you expect or enjoy the same relationships / hobbies / ideas.

1624652334654.png

View attachment 381978
My parents were born in small farming and fishing villages in Vietnam; American cinema has popularized a specific image of what a Vietnamese woman looks like, and my dark skin and voluminous hair doesn't really match, but I have come to love my skin and am happy to not fit the mold. To me, celebrating diversity means loving all people, even if they don't look how you expect or enjoy the same relationships / hobbies / ideas.

This may sound an offensive question and if so I apologise for my ignorance.
Your picture looks how I would have expected them to look.
Would you be able to explain how what the media shows is incorrect from your knowledge?
(I hope my question doesn't come across as offensive, it comes from a genuine place of learning)

I love this event so much because it feels good to express myself and it makes me feel happy to see other people express theirselves too.
Even if I don't win, I'll still be happy because I'm glad I finally had the chance to express myself as a black person without feeling embarrassed or scared.

I love this event so much because it feels good to express myself and it makes me feel happy to see other people express theirselves too.
Even if I don't win, I'll still be happy because I'm glad I finally had the chance to express myself as a black person without feeling embarrassed or scared.
I dont recall your post on here.
But outside of how you wish to express yourself, your skin colour is nothing more than a marker of your genetic history.
There is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about about that.
Skin colour does not mean a thing other than that. You are a person who deserves as much dignity and respect as anyone else.

I'm really sad to see it as an issue of insecurity for you. It sucks the world has treated you that way.

Skin colour does not mean you think, feel, or act any way. It just means your genetic makeup is made for you to be better than white skin people in harsh sunlight. And that is awesome.

I dont know who or when anyone has made you feel like your skin colour is something to be ashamed of. But my middle finger raises in their honour

I dont recall your post on here.
But outside of how you wish to express yourself, your skin colour is nothing more than a marker of your genetic history.
There is nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about about that.
Skin colour does not mean a thing other than that. You are a person who deserves as much dignity and respect as anyone else.

I'm really sad to see it as an issue of insecurity for you. It sucks the world has treated you that way.

Skin colour does not mean you think, feel, or act any way. It just means your genetic makeup is made for you to be better than white skin people in harsh sunlight. And that is awesome.

I dont know who or when anyone has made you feel like your skin colour is something to be ashamed of. But my middle finger raises in their honour
I believe his is on the first, or second page

It's honestly one of my favorites on here ^^

You are such a sweet kind amazing person. Your skin colour shouldn’t matter, your beautiful heart does 💜

I just have to say, that I love this! Thank you @xara for highlighting this aspect of diversity. Well done!
Plus, I really like the rainbow couch.

oh, thank you so much! reading your comment made me really happy. ☺️🧡

I believe his is on the first, or second page

It's honestly one of my favorites on here ^^
Ah yes I see it now.
Thankfully it doesn't change what I said.

If anyone makes someone feel embarrassed to exist with their own skin colour that they were born with... well that finger just keeps on rising

You are such a sweet kind amazing person. Your skin colour shouldn’t matter, your beautiful heart does 💜
Aw, thanks for that. Though I used to think it did when I found the site in 2018 but decided not to join because I figured people would be racist to me, but now I kinda wish I joined anyway because this is a nice community that can make even black people like me feel welcome, and I say, thank you community 👍🏾

Aw, thanks for that. Though I used to think it did when I found the site in 2018 but decided not to join because I figured people would be racist to me, but now I kinda wish I joined anyway because this is a nice community that can make even black people like me feel welcome, and I say, thank you community 👍🏾
I know full well as a white person I am completely ignorant to anything that might have made you feel that way before joining.
But im glad you decided to take that plunge and join us here.

I know we have disagreed here in the past, but I hope you know that skin colour is irrelevant here. And if anyone says otherwise... well there are many things I would want to do but the mods seems to have things covered.

IMG_20210625_160009842~2.jpg

hi I've got an entry, I know it's not great compared to some of the other ones but no one's made one about adhd yet so I thought I would.
My entry is about me, a trans gnc (gender non conforming) person with adhd. I have been living with adhd all my life but I had no idea what it was, and it really put back my ability to learn, and concentrate and focus, and I've always felt like I was just doing something wrong and wasn't good enough. But I've been researching and researching my symptoms after seeing some Instagram posts about adhd, and have come to the conclusion that I do in fact have adhd, and even though it's been hard I've been learning to accept myself.

Same goes with my gender and sexuality, I have recently learnt over the past few months that I am in fact a transmasc person, demiboy doesn't feel right so I am just a transmasc enby. I have been learning to accept my gay and trans identity as well as my adhd, and the fact that even though I may be a boy or somewhere on the masc scale I do still like some feminine clothing and it's ok to be gender non conforming, I typed a lot here but yea that's it : )

Edit: forgot to mention the symbol on my shirt is an adhd butterfly symbol I found and I have a trans flag on my cheek!

This may sound an offensive question and if so I apologise for my ignorance.
Your picture looks how I would have expected them to look.
Would you be able to explain how what the media shows is incorrect from your knowledge?
(I hope my question doesn't come across as offensive, it comes from a genuine place of learning)
No worries! The Ao Dai garb is common as a Vietnamese traditional symbol now (there was some historical conflict with flaunting it during the Communist takeover).
Usually Viet girls are depicted as having long silky black hair that is very straight and manageable, lol.

Wikipedia image:
1624655218739.png

And the East Asian ideal tends to lean toward more slender, paler girls. I am not pale, my hair is crazy big sometimes, and I am fairly stocky / big-boned. It's fine, just not what people expect. :p

No worries! The Ao Dai garb is common as a Vietnamese traditional symbol now (there was some historical conflict with flaunting it during the Communist takeover).
Usually Viet girls are depicted as having long silky black hair that is very straight and manageable, lol.

Wikipedia image:
View attachment 381992
And the East Asian ideal tends to lean toward more slender, paler girls. I am not pale, my hair is crazy big sometimes, and I am fairly stocky / big-boned. It's fine, just not what people expect. :p
While I see your skin colour as something similar between the pictures, I completely get your point about the hair. I always considered hair styles to be a choice (history not withstanding) so didn't think anything of it.
But you have raised a good point about how hair styles are also genetic based on if you have curly or straight hair. It wasnt even something I considered before so thank you for letting me know more about the topic.

Please never feel afraid to express yourself on TBT. If anyone ever reacts badly concerning a person's identity please report them and we will take care of it.

IMG_5106.jpg

This entry is a celebration of my Mexican heritage and asexuality. The blouse is designed after the "china poblana" dresses, whereas, the humming bird incorporates the colors of the Asexual flag. The Los Angeles flag is being used to represent the dreams and labor of the immigrants that call this city home.

Quick update, everyone: I added a four hour buffer to each selection round, so last minute entries are less last minute. That means that the current round still ends in about an hour, so keep voting! However, only the entries made until 6:00 PM EDT will be included in this round. Everything after that will be included in the next one.

Also, I added another winner to the last round, so we'll have four characters in the banner at the end, which is a total of ten for the whole event.

Hope I'm not too late to join :LOL:

892B1DBB-BF7A-45DF-BC6F-78C9700D61FD.jpeg

Hello and this is a Chinese player here. I am wearing Han Fu, with a pair of embroidered shoes. Han Fu often gets confused with kimonos and many other Asian traditional clothes, there are many different styles other than this one I'm wearing. It has a very long history of generally around 3000-4000 years. I'm not an expert of history but I really like Han Fu, and would love to wear my own during my free time. Unfortunately wearing this to the streets often people think I'm Japanese (but I do love Yukata and Kimonos as well). I hope more people would know Han Fu and like this, they are very pretty and awsome~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back