• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Mafia Cop 9er mafia thread

Morning everyone - I'm awake and ready to look at posts.
I see Ghost has arrived & is confused.

Is there anything in specific that is confusing you right now? I can try to answer while I do my morning rounds.
. Are you actually a sheep???!!!!!!

Wdym read me??

I think you're asking what it means for someone to 'read you'? It means that based on your posts and interactions they think you are a certain role. (Mafia, town.)

the game is all about solving who is secretly mafia, so 'reading' people (i.e. Examining their posts and actions and then drawing conclusions about whether they are mafia) is probably the most important thing you can do if you are towny.

I think you're asking what it means for someone to 'read you'? It means that based on your posts and interactions they think you are a certain role. (Mafia, town.)

the game is all about solving who is secretly mafia, so 'reading' people (i.e. Examining their posts and actions and then drawing conclusions about whether they are mafia) is probably the most important thing you can do if you are towny.
thank you for clarifying @droquen really helps.😁

Alright so this is something that I've been silently thinking about since yesterday and I've not seen brought up (except for by Misty, sort of?).

Am I the only one who feels Betsy is way off here? Everything Betsy has done so far has felt extremely shallow and I'm trying not to tunnel here but the things she has done feel more like she's going through specific motions for the sake of it than actually trying to accomplish something with them.

The progression so far has been:
Learning about RVS -> Going for a RV -> Nothing coming of said RV due to Betsys actions -> RV on to Geoni now.

A part of why I think this whole RV thing seems very shallow and theatre-y to me is openly stating they're RVs before doing them. I feel if you were to gauge reactions with RVs you'd do it without saying it was one, right? It's almost on the side of over explaining things before doing them just to make sure everyone knows what you're doing.

Which is why I followed up on it. Anytime I see something that seems off to me, I'm gonna follow up/ question it. The response can only clarify things further, which I think is beneficial overall.
That makes sense. I get it. I guess I should post more of my thoughts/reactions instead of keeping it all in my head. But I'm also pushing for reactions because I'm hoping to either a) get a very obvious reaction /lack of reaction that I can use to read someone, or b) I'm hoping better players can get something useful out of them that I would miss and then follow up on it.

From this side of things, I think I could be very good at stirring the pot, but very bad at figuring out what to do with what comes from the stirring.

... Also there's this. I found this inconsistent.

If anyone wants to talk me out of my tunnel, go for it. I need to know if I'm genuinely the only one who is seeing this. I know Misty/Geoni have both expressed liking Betsys tone, but I just cannot bring myself to agree. I'm posting this whole Betsy thing before I go over anything else going on in my head as I want input on this before EOD.

And here's the not bloodthirsty tunnel parts:

Droqen- Finding him dubious, honestly. Low activity for such a previously high activity person. After being put on the spotlight the reaction was pretty weird all around. Doing Geonis RQS before addressing anything else in the moment feels like trying to buy more time before responding. The whole no-vote slip I've already expressed interest in due to this being something he should have known. I remember in my wolf game I purposefully dwelled on no-voting for a brief bit as putting on a front of worry about miseliminating town/cop felt like a way to get town points. #64 feels a bit panicked. Wolf panic or town panic, I wonder. The nintendo direct thing does hold up for me though.

@Armadillo lover - Are you even here? I know you panicking/talking a lot almost got you yeeted d1 in the last game you were in but what you're doing right now isn't doing any favours either. I cannot tell if this is a frozen wolf or someone just afraid of a repeat of last game. I'm pinging this on purpose because I straight up do not want to deal with a silent slot.

Ghost- New. I feel like this slot may quickly turn in to a headache too (no offence! just very hard to read such new people!) Null on it for now.

Misty- I've had minor beef with some of the things she's done but by now most of it has been cleared up. The only thing remaining rn is the LHF thing, but I won't repeat what Geoni said as he pretty much echoed my thoughts on the matter.

Tessa- Surprising lack of content for Tessa? I wish I had more to say but there just isn't anything.

Bianca- Feels in line with what I recall from her last game but at the same time anything that happened early on during that game is ??? to me due to being sick. Nothing pings out to me about her so far. Not a lot of content but she's hosting another game rn so. I do like the stance of being open to getting rid of inactives since I personally find them a bit frustrating in later game phases.

Betsy- The only person besides me in this tunnel is my echo and by god is it making a compelling argument.

Geoni- Yeah that's Geoni alright. I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary, but it does seem wallposter Geoni is back from his brief vacation which I do personally like. That echoes some sort of greater investment in the game though and I do know he's been hoping to wolf for a while now so he has my interest. Invested in town or hype to wolf, we shall see.

Current reads-

Geoni, Misty, Bianca
Tessa, Ghost, Armadillo, Droq
en

Betsy

Who am I open to voting-

Betsy, Droqen, Ghost, Armadillo, Tessa?

Both of my current most suspected + inactives and hard to read slots. Tessa I am the least inclined to vote purely because if she starts talking I find her slot easier to get a read on than the other two.

Droqen: Banking on the excuse that you need more content to work with before you really get into things is not how I remember you last game when I was still alive and interacting with you. Denied.

I think I mellowed out a lot when my Damniel paranoia turned out to be pure paranoia. I still haven't totally recovered from that. Was more eager last game to throw shade d1, this time I'm taking some notes but a bit afraid to really make any strong claims. I'll get over it as things progress -- as facts pile up, and as possibilities dwindle. @Miss Misty commented that "Betsy's moves seem less calculated than last time" and I can't help but see a similar sort of pattern. Both our second games without a lot of recovery time between. Seems likely that our play styles will change after having the experiences that we did.
Post automatically merged:

That said, I do WANT to be more d1 vicious, but damn, it hurts to have been on every winning town elim vote and to have been wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME :p

And one last contribution for my wall before I go stew on things and vacuum carpets for an hour and a half. (I will be back before EOD! Don't worry!)

Quotes 2 and 3 more mechanic questions so you didn't know where to get the ball rolling in spite of that hunger I got. Were you finding nothing you wanted to address from a tonal perspective yet either?

I had a very minor off feel about Misty at that point but wanted to see it play out and the situation resolved on its own.
This theory doesn't feel relevant any more so I'm putting in a spoiler, I guess mostly for archival reasons at this point.

Misty greeting only Armadillo with a direct wolf question when Armadillo has a history of panicking. This would have been a set up for a wagon/chaos if Armadillo had taken the "bait". I tossed this theory out when funnily enough Misty also greeted me with a wolf question the next morning.

Ghost08 - New player, confused. A lot of not engaging with direct confrontation, which reads as potentially sus to me - like, a new player not sure how to react, so just deflects. Towny new player would probably have an easier time answering. Don't want to vote him for now, to give him some time to get his bearings...

Miss Misty - Drawing theories ("world-building"), making connections to previous games. Good effort, which I appreciate, but not necessarily town. that pattern will continue throughout my reads; I don't think effort is either wolf or town to me, but... it makes for good play.

BetsySundrop - Throwing darts. as commented above, this is Betsy's second game and last game she won as mafia, so if she's mafia again that's probably weird/scary. if she's town again though... it's a whole new game. her play style changing dramatically make a lot of sense. Mild townread. Will @ sheep about this.

Geoni - Walls!!! Appreciate the thoughts on meta and IoA, a lot of stuff I haven't considered. Good/high effort.

Armadillo lover - Pretty inactive. My vote will hover on Armadillo, though tessa is also sus.
Armadillo has a history of panicking

^ Hmm... should I back off of Armadillo? Is this what a panicking Armadillo looks like?

tessa. - Also pretty inactive. I'm torn between her and Armadillo for my vote.

Biancasbotique - Pretty chill d1 commentary, nice to see individual reads on a lot of players. No read at all yet.

Sheep Villager - Super interesting observations. Glad we're getting to play together this game! I don't have a read on you yet. Good/high effort.

summary

high effort: Geoni, Betsy, Sheep, Misty; within this category, I am least trusting of Misty. don't know why yet, and it's not a strong feeling. to be clear this category is not "TOWN". i have trust issues.

low activity: tessa., Armadillo lover; not sure if it's good strategy to vote out low-activity players, i don't think this is out of sus though... it just seems like a reasonable way to play. i'll be around near EoD, hopefully not change my vote too late though

confused: Ghost008, we'll see how he develops. right now i'm very on the fence.

Biancasbotique somehow escaped classification. no read.

if she's mafia again that's probably weird/scary

Not to me, but to Betsy. I'm not falling for the gambler's fallacy... Betsy's as likely as anyone else to have flipped maf.

Also, in retrospect, I regret this choice of adjectives. I can imagine Betsy laughing and going full wolf if she flipped mafia.

yknow what, i'm switching my vote to @tessa.
I hope you can poke your head in during lunch!

Okay i'm now actually leaning more towards @Armadillo lover damn... i hope we get some messages from the less-active players. Also I'm going to post a proper read list sometime later today, this effort-stratification is not really helping me at all. Scary tho.

Last edited:
Alright so this is something that I've been silently thinking about since yesterday and I've not seen brought up (except for by Misty, sort of?).

Am I the only one who feels Betsy is way off here? Everything Betsy has done so far has felt extremely shallow and I'm trying not to tunnel here but the things she has done feel more like she's going through specific motions for the sake of it than actually trying to accomplish something with them.

The progression so far has been:
Learning about RVS -> Going for a RV -> Nothing coming of said RV due to Betsys actions -> RV on to Geoni now.

A part of why I think this whole RV thing seems very shallow and theatre-y to me is openly stating they're RVs before doing them. I feel if you were to gauge reactions with RVs you'd do it without saying it was one, right? It's almost on the side of over explaining things before doing them just to make sure everyone knows what you're doing.

... Also there's this. I found this inconsistent.

I can possibly clear up a couple things, here. You may have a different play style from me, and mine may change over time as I get more experience. For now, I like to state what I'm doing before I do it. So when I said I was throwing a dart, casting a vote, I was very interested in getting more input from people who had been quiet so far. I don't think that's shallow or theatre? I just was a bit frustrated at having nothing to go on for any sort of sus/clear readings.

Last game, droqen was verrry active d1 as town. This game (at that point) was verry quiet. So I decided to start with droqen, and question why he was so quiet. (At that point he only had 1 introduction post, I believe). A few hours later, droqen responded, and has been active ever since. So I think my rv for droqen was very helpful. I wouldn't call it nothing.

And the next rv for geoni was meant in a joking manner, referring to a joke from last game (old dogs) and also because of his earlier comment of not having a d1 vote yet, which is why I specifically stated it was so he didn't feel left out.

I also have directly questioned some on wolf/town status, and noted their reactions (or lack of response at all), and followed up on questioning things that seemed off to me in order to clarify.

Ghost08 - New player, confused. A lot of not engaging with direct confrontation, which reads as potentially sus to me - like, a new player not sure how to react, so just deflects. Towny new player would probably have an easier time answering. Don't want to vote him for now, to give him some time to get his bearings...

Miss Misty - Drawing theories ("world-building"), making connections to previous games. Good effort, which I appreciate, but not necessarily town. that pattern will continue throughout my reads; I don't think effort is either wolf or town to me, but... it makes for good play.

BetsySundrop - Throwing darts. as commented above, this is Betsy's second game and last game she won as mafia, so if she's mafia again that's probably weird/scary. if she's town again though... it's a whole new game. her play style changing dramatically make a lot of sense. Mild townread. Will @ sheep about this.

Geoni - Walls!!! Appreciate the thoughts on meta and IoA, a lot of stuff I haven't considered. Good/high effort.

Armadillo lover - Pretty inactive. My vote will hover on Armadillo, though tessa is also sus.
^ Hmm... should I back off of Armadillo? Is this what a panicking Armadillo looks like?

tessa. - Also pretty inactive. I'm torn between her and Armadillo for my vote.

Biancasbotique - Pretty chill d1 commentary, nice to see individual reads on a lot of players. No read at all yet.

Sheep Villager - Super interesting observations. Glad we're getting to play together this game! I don't have a read on you yet. Good/high effort.

summary

high effort: Geoni, Betsy, Sheep, Misty; within this category, I am least trusting of Misty. don't know why yet, and it's not a strong feeling. to be clear this category is not "TOWN". i have trust issues.

low activity: tessa., Armadillo lover; not sure if it's good strategy to vote out low-activity players, i don't think this is out of sus though... it just seems like a reasonable way to play. i'll be around near EoD, hopefully not change my vote too late though

confused: Ghost008, we'll see how he develops. right now i'm very on the fence.

Biancasbotique somehow escaped classification. no read.

Not to me, but to Betsy. I'm not falling for the gambler's fallacy... Betsy's as likely as anyone else to have flipped maf.

Also, in retrospect, I regret this choice of adjectives. I can imagine Betsy laughing and going full wolf if she flipped mafia.

yknow what, i'm switching my vote to @tessa.
I hope you can poke your head in during lunch!

Okay i'm now actually leaning more towards @Armadillo lover damn... i hope we get some messages from the less-active players. Also I'm going to post a proper read list sometime later today, this effort-stratification is not really helping me at all. Scary tho.

I love the end of this wall. It's exactly the same type of d1 vibes from last game. Voting for x, but nope wait, should vote y, but wait... I may have other suspicion for the d1 quietness, but this chaos is very much d1 town points for droqen. And I hope I'm not wrong...

Last edited:
LOL good to know my severe indecisiveness is good for something 😂

This is not about Betsy but about strategy more generally... I often want to explain my actions (e.g. rxn) so that people can see what I see, but at the same time it seems to go against the idea of doing it because then the person I'm doing it to also knows why I'm doing it and can react appropriately...

How do you deal with the timing of this kind of thing, if you ever reveal your intentions at all (re: something like reaction testing)?

Last edited:
Quick microread before I respond to the more lengthy posts;

. Are you actually a sheep???!!!!!!

New person who is extremely confused yet chose to not ask me anything about the game when I was very obviously online at the same time.
To humour the joke aspect; Baa.

My early lunch break, so posting my thoughts so far and will be back on later for eod (and will try to check in when I can).

My inactive reads-

Ghost- New player, and I understand the confusion. I think he's been given good advice and am looking forward to reading his thoughts on things so far. Also- he might have missed my direct question, so I'll ask it again.
Hey Ghost- are you playing as town or wolf this game?

Tessa- I got nothing firm here. I noticed that tessa was glad not to have the burden/responsibility of a previous game, and did not seem to be under pressure, and also mentioned being in school, so I would not put tessa in wolf category at this time. I'd say null with busy irl. I'm hoping to see more, because if town, it isn't helpful town, so for now- null.

Armadillo- I don't actually know, because I don't know the experience level. If experienced player, I'd put as wolf leaning, because of response to Misty's question, you wolfin it? Armadillo responded with 'What do you mean?' If experienced, that's odd. If not experienced, then not sus. I just haven't seen much activity, and I would like to see more from armadillo, because inactive town doesn't help town much...

Back with more in a bit.

Actually second quick microread:

Interesting choice of wording. Does it mean anything in the grand scheme of things? Eh.

Actually second quick microread:

Interesting choice of wording. Does it mean anything in the grand scheme of things? Eh.
In this case just trying to give good general-purpose advice to a seemingly pretty confused player... Not thinking about my in-game flip, but going meta and taking role as impartial rules explainer :)

@droqen Addressing your stuff first.

Regarding panicking Armadillo; No. Her behaviour this game is not the same type of panic as when she was town and a d1 wagon. She was very very vocal and desperate.

Side note: I enjoy the fact you're not taking the high-effort = town approach so you get points for that.

This is not about Betsy but about strategy more generally... I often want to explain my actions (e.g. rxn) so that people can see what I see, but at the same time it seems to go against the idea of doing it because then the person I'm doing it to also knows why I'm doing it and can react appropriately...

How do you deal with the timing of this kind of thing, if you ever reveal your intentions at all (re: something like reaction testing)?

My prior experience is only as a long time spectator & wolf (you may panic now), but I'm of the opinion that you do first, explain later. Just to pull a recent example, I believe Antonio did this last game with his check on who agreed to his fake take on Geoni. Had he said it was fake there wouldn't have been any point to it. Plays like these do hold some risk to them always and that's just something you have to live with.

I have some more stuff regarding you but I need to run afk for a brief moment yet again.

I also notice Betsy was here and I will get back to that too.

My early lunch break, so posting my thoughts so far and will be back on later for eod (and will try to check in when I can).

My inactive reads-

Ghost- New player, and I understand the confusion. I think he's been given good advice and am looking forward to reading his thoughts on things so far. Also- he might have missed my direct question, so I'll ask it again.
Hey Ghost- are you playing as town or wolf this game?

Tessa- I got nothing firm here. I noticed that tessa was glad not to have the burden/responsibility of a previous game, and did not seem to be under pressure, and also mentioned being in school, so I would not put tessa in wolf category at this time. I'd say null with busy irl. I'm hoping to see more, because if town, it isn't helpful town, so for now- null.

Armadillo- I don't actually know, because I don't know the experience level. If experienced player, I'd put as wolf leaning, because of response to Misty's question, you wolfin it? Armadillo responded with 'What do you mean?' If experienced, that's odd. If not experienced, then not sus. I just haven't seen much activity, and I would like to see more from armadillo, because inactive town doesn't help town much...

Back with more in a bit.
Sadly, I’m towny😞

So far I don’t know about really anything. I will try to get some real information.

I do feel like droqen is a little off, but I can’t figure out why.

Last edited:
Back