• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Favorite Nintendo RPG Game/Series?

Your favorite?

• [Nintendo/Advance] Wars (Strategy Game)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Magical Vacation/Starsign

• ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat

• Other? (Third Party Doesn’t Count)

• Total voters
My favorite series has to be Pokemon. Despite feeling as though the series has been backsliding in quality ever since Gen 7 (the Dexit Dark Ages as I call it), I still can't help but love this franchise.

My favorite individual Nintendo RPG is Super Mario RPG. It's my very favorite video game of all time. I also loved Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door, but SMRPG is a flawless masterpiece and will simply never be matched.

I voted Pokemon cus it's an important part of my childhood and pretty much the thing that got me into video games in the first place. I haven't tried most of the options in the poll tho. Been meaning to try Golden Sun for a long time but never found the motivation for it...

I voted Pokémon because it's special to me. It's also really fun to collect all the Pokémon, and all the different forms. My first game was Pokémon White, but possibly before that or shortly after getting White, I would play Pokémon Red on a website called Playr because I knew nothing of how emulation worked and it was a really bad computer anyways (it struggled to run Minecraft on beta 1.3, for instance). I'm currently playing through Pokémon Legends: Arceus and it's probably my favorite mainline game so far.

I voted before I saw Pokemon... it's almost grown into its own type of game at this point. Nothing beats the early Pokemon games for me.

But came here to say how great the 1st two Paper Mario games were. Especially the original for N64... the little partner creatures were fantastic. Great world design, the battles were fun, the right level of customizability/RPG-iness... I need to go back and replay Paper Mario at some point :)

I chose Mother out of instict then I realized Pokemon was on the list.

I have a few favorites like Fire Emblem and Pokemon as well. I still like them even if they "fell off" (Pokemon in particular). I honestly liked them for story and worldbuilding. I always liked Pokemon when I was a kid. I didn't get into FE and Mother until my middle school years. Mother/Earthbound was how I found my favorite YouTuber of all time (Chuggaaconroy). Fire Emblem is what enhanced my love of fantasy.

Now I wanna make special mention of Miitopia. While it was only a oneshot it still a decent RPG game. I love going on adventures with my favorite characters, family, and friends. It makes for so many great moments (like making Gilgamesh a crybaby). I hope we see another game with the Miis like this someday

Big toss up between Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario games for me. I think I would have to say I had an immense amount of fun with Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door especially. Kind of disappointed you listed only the first two, as I thought Super Paper Mario was genuinely a good game. Definitely not anywhere as good as the first two, but a lot of fun nevertheless.

If I was younger, probably would have went with Pokemon. Sadly, I lost interest in Pokemon the same time gen 6 rolled around and they introduced a lot of things I didn't agree with or care about.

The first two Paper Mario games will always hold a special place in my heart. I loved all of the different locations, stories, mini-quests & mini-games, characters, music, and turn-based battle system.

When I was younger, I used to role-play within the game and add my own voices/story as I traveled to different locations (e.g.: acting as a traveling salesman riding the Excess Express to sell wares in Poshley Heights). I still do the same kind of thing today, haha.

I always rented and re-rented the first Paper Mario from the local video store. When it closed, they sold their games to the public and my mom happened to be in-store and bought it for me; it was one of the best days of my life. 🥰

Last edited:
I actually really liked the latest Paper Mario game on Switch. I know it's not a traditional RPG and kind of more of an adventure game, but I think it's underrated.

Last edited:
It definitely has to be Pokémon for me. It's not about being a franchise, but Nintendo or otherwise, Pokémon has been the franchise that I've liked for the longest, since I was about 7 or 8. 😊

For me it’s Fire Emblem which I got into as a late teen. Pokémon was a big part of my childhood and I still play the games today but as an adult I enjoy Fire Emblem much more. I’ve played and love both the old (not officially translated games) as well as the new ones. There’s nothing more satisfying than planning out complex strategies in order to tackle some of the trickiest chapters. I really love the characters as well.

Pokémon, for sure. I do like some FE games but yeah I've played a lot of the main games and they definitely remains my fave ones still.

I have an obsession for Pokémon that I’ve had since childhood. If I try to pull away from it, I end up getting attached again.. I guess it’s nostalgia. 😅

Mario + Rabbids gets my vote. When I picked up Kingdom Battle as a pre-owned game, I was unsure if I would like it. But after getting through the whole game (I beat it again recently with Mario, Rabbid Luigi, and Yoshi), I realized how fun it was.

i'm so torn lol i haven't voted because i unfortunately can't decided between the paper mario series or the mario & luigi series. a lot of the reasons why i love these series overlap actually! i love the story telling/characters/dialogue/and gameplay (well, depending on the game i guess. i'm looking at you more modern paper mario 😔 )

I don't remember this thread. It seems I voted for Paper Mario. Don't think I will change my answer but I'd like to say I prefer the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon spin-off series over the main one and it's likely the reason I didn't vote Pokemon.
I also really liked Earthbound...

It's basically a tough question, because I juggled multiple Nintendo rpg games especially with the fact that my curiosity tends to try the new series as a whole:
  • Pokemon- Although I didn't consider this a rpg game fully owned or made by Nintendo since the Pokemon Company/Gamefreak entirely makes and owns the IP (Nintendo owns only 1/3 of it, I think). I consider this one of the stepping stones to my full exposure to RPGs. The DS gens (4 and 5) are peak Pokemon in my opinion.
  • Fire Emblem- love it or hate it, it's one of the strategy RPGs I've played with high replay value. And the fact that characters can permanently die adds to the difficulty of the game and encourages you to plan strategically especially when even the critical RNG gets into play. The battle OSTs especially interwoven between overworld and in-battle are a nice bonus. My first exposure to Fire Emblem as a whole is Awakening.
  • Paper Mario- Super Paper Mario is peak fiction of the Mario universe. (Change my mind)
  • Earthbound/MOTHER- I'm one of the people who basically discovered and played the game after seeing Ness and Lucas in Smash Bros. Thank you, Sakurai.

Last edited:
Awww, why is the Paper Mario option only the first two games?

I voted for Mario and Luigi at first before realizing that Pokémon was an option, because I didn't for some reason. Mario and Luigi is pretty close, but Pokémon is better for multiple reasons, such as the fact that the series is still going on (although that's not really much of an advantage anymore considering the current state of Pokémon), and that there's a lot more variety. Mario and Luigi has really good music and stories (most of the time), and was very original before Paper Jam. And Yoko Shimomura is an extremely amazing composer. Paper Mario is a series that I actually do think is still pretty decent. Besides that, I don't really play RPGs. Even with the ones I do currently play, there's stuff I hate about RPGs, such as grinding.

Back