• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How did you name your island?

My first island was named Rosebud after sims money cheat, second one was Beechwood, third was Celestia, fourth Gardenia and fifth and current one is named Forestia. The last three were named because of their theme.

I spent a lot of time before the release of the game trying to come up with a name, and most were based on a general tropical or island theme. Ended up going with Poku, from the Hawaiian word for rock (pōhaku), then when I restarted my island because my plaza was one tile off from being perfectly aligned with my airport, I went with New Poku.

Other names I considered were Kolibri (hummingbird in some languages) and Punk Rock (which is an actual island in Arizona, lol).

I was inspired by the guy that's kept up with this AC Gamecube town since the game came out, which is named Forest. So I admittedly stole it since I actually just love the simplicity of "Forest Town," and my towns have always been foresty anyway.

I started Animal Crossing New Horizons but I've played very little, I can't wait to be able to dedicate myself seriously.
I was a bit undecided about the name of the Island, in recent years I have been invaded by all the creative possibilities that the game offers by seeing the posts on social networks, despite this I am not very interested in the artistic part but I prefer the "cozy game" side. I think I won't have an elaborate theme for my island, it will probably be very simple.
Initially I wanted to call it "Kairos", it is one of the ways to indicate time in Greek, it can be easily rendered with the Latin expression "Carpe diem" by Horace, which means "pluck the day", but it is very simplistic. "Kairos" is not chronological time, but it is qualitative time, it has a subjective nature and is therefore indeterminate and indefinite. For me Animal Crossing is the place where objective time, made up of anxiety and torment, stops, and time of the heart begins to flow.
"Kairos" renders this meaning well, but it has many others, I refer you to the wikipedia page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairos#:~:text=Kairos%20(Ancient%20Greek%3A%20%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%B9%CF%81%CF%8C%CF%82),weather'%20or%20'time'.

Another way to express this meaning was with the name "Escape", or a synonym in another language, but eventually I realized I could call it "Foglialuna" which means "Moonleaf", the name of my town in New Leaf.
Since in New Leaf you could use up to 8 characters for the town name, I had to use English, but in my head it was always "Foglialuna".
I like to think that my island in New Horizons is a vacation island that belongs to the town mayor of New Leaf(me LOL), which is why they have the same name.
It is not the island of Foglialuna but Foglialuna(Moonleaf)'s Island❤️
I'm a bit sentimental and I like to carry my roots with me, I don't know where this name came from, I simply think the moon has always been a poetic image that has fascinated millions of generations, and the new adventure (the "new leaf") that I started 7 years ago, is a clear and pure leaf as the moon(because it's "new"), and in a continuous and cyclical transformation just like I would have changed over the years, but whose essence always remains the same.
It's just... a safe place.
P.s. I don't believe in commercial astrology but I appreciate astrology in its cultural value, I like to think I'm of the sign of cancer whose ruling planet is the Moon(obviously the moon is not a planet but the ancients didn't know that)

Last edited:
just went by moonlight since that's what i tend to go by online nowadays (and just used my real name for my character)

always loved anything related to the moon or stars and i think moonlight is just a pretty name tbh

also i believe island names that begin with moon are the prettiest, so like moonlight, moonbeam, moonbell, moonhaven, moonfall, moonrise, moondrop, etc

I decided on Faraway pretty much as soon as the island-setting was revealed.
I wanted something very simple and non-themed so that it could be versatile in terms of decorating.

When restarting I’ve considered Evenlull a few times, but ultimately it just didn’t feel right despite being more unique

I decided on Faraway pretty much as soon as the island-setting was revealed.
I wanted something very simple and non-themed so that it could be versatile in terms of decorating.

When restarting I’ve considered Evenlull a few times, but ultimately it just didn’t feel right despite being more unique
Not sure if you're a Pokemon fan, but "Faraway Island" was an event-only location in the 3rd gen games that you could catch Mew at. It's the only time you've been able to legitimately find and catch Mew in the games.

My boyfriend brought me a switch as a thank you present and because i'm a doughnut for not transferring my old island from the lite to the switch, i had to restart all over again. So i paid homage to my boyfriend by naming it "Goose Love" as that's his catch phrase and his nick name is Goose (yes he knows about the villager, hence i have the amiibo for him lol).

Not sure if you're a Pokemon fan, but "Faraway Island" was an event-only location in the 3rd gen games that you could catch Mew at. It's the only time you've been able to legitimately find and catch Mew in the games.
You know, I have played a lot of Pokémon games but I didn’t know that. Very neat though!

Maybe that’s what Dom is trying so hard to catch with his net—sadly no success so far, poor thing

You know, I have played a lot of Pokémon games but I didn’t know that. Very neat though!

Maybe that’s what Dom is trying so hard to catch with his net—sadly no success so far, poor thing
Haha, maybe one day!

My islands name is Tropicana. I simply wanted something that sounded tropical, and thought that was very cute!

I sort of wanted to create a Pride themed Island and so I called it Rainbow. My Island flag is the Pride flag and My Island song is Windmills of Your Mind which has a recording by Dusty Springfield who was actually a lesbian in her private life and it just felt fitting.

My island name is Leafton because I wanted to find a town name that I could stick around with for years when I did my last reset in 2015 for New Leaf.

Years later I then named it NeoLeafton because it was a new game of course, but later on I changed it to just Leafton as I didn’t like the idea of adding “Neo” to the name despite aiming for a city theme.

My towns usually are just very simple and have no particular theme. Just a regular type of town/island. I have tried some names in the past like language words (Esperanza) and names from books and stuff but for some reason I never felt connected to it so I always kept resetting. This time around, I wanted to keep it simple that had no meaning to it. I started thinking of island terms or what is normally found on islands since we're on islands this time around. I settled on Waterfalls and started thinking of how some waterfalls have a sort of mist around it. I put it the two together and viola, Mistfall. Ever since, I have managed to keep the island without the feeling of having to restart. I think it because although the name has no meaning behind it, everything I've done for the island gave it the meaning instead. So it kept the island personal to me. There are times I do want to redecorate it, but I like my island the way it is.

The name of my current island is Mistywood which I think I got from one of those random island name generators. I just thought it sounded cool. All of my previous ones were space themed though (the names, not the islands themselves) since I love space :) Jupiter, Ursa Major like the constellation, Dubhe like the star, and Red Moon!

I named mine Wildshore. I wanted something that symbolised an untouched, uninhabited island and I also wanted it to call back to my first ac game, Wild World.

My other town names in Wild World and New Leaf, were both Widmouth after a holiday farm in Devon I used to visit as a kid.

Dogfish, I was looking around my room for a name and I found a book called "To Nightowl from Dogfish"

so my towns name is dogfish

My island is called “Okaeri”! It’s named after a song (which I set as my island tune) that has the vibe that I wanted to give my island (cute, happy, and colorful), plus, it means “welcome home” in Japanese and I thought it would be a cute way of saying “welcome home!” to the villagers. My villager’s little saying is also “welcome home!”

One of my runner ups was Halcyon. “Halcyon days” refers to a peaceful/blissful time.

Last edited:
Back