• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Join My Shiny Hunting Club!

Woo! Just managed to get a japanese cleffa off GTS! ..Course, its a female, and not a male =_=

edit: Found a male one now. Now I can breed my female IV'd pikachu with a male japanese clefairy and have a good shot a shiny pichu's while I'm breeding them out x3(And I just found out the male cleffa has x/31/31/31/31/31 for IVs! Couldn't ask for a better mate for my pikachu!)

Last edited:
Apparently I can't use the Battle Institution because my Pokemon aren't "Strong" enough. Ugh...
I'll try to pass the rest of the game today, sorry Dizzi I won't be able to get one for you today as I can't check them to see which has 5iv. I'm currently on the road for the 6th badge so I'm not to far from finishing.

Hey, no worries! Wasn't expecting anything today anyway. You'll get there when you get there.

Congrats! Hope it goes well for you, Jinjiro!

I'm not expecting a shiny to be born any time soon[nor am I stopping until I get a shiny female pichu out of them. Mommy chu MIGHT be half dead by the time that happens though xD]

Ok, I finished the game and breed some Mareep, I've only been able to end up with 31/31/31/xx/31/31, darn little things don't want to inherent their father's Sp. Attack.

I'm so happy...
007.jpg
Thanks to those Mareeps I finally got my favorite shiny. And he has 4ivs.
Big thanks to Dizzi also for helping, if it wasn't for those Mareeps I wouldn't be able to get my little Demon. Hope you can hatch your shiny soon!
It took me 128 eggs.

I'm so happy...
Thanks to those Mareeps I finally got my favorite shiny. And he has 4ivs.
Big thanks to Dizzi also for helping, if it wasn't for those Mareeps I wouldn't be able to get my little Demon. Hope you can hatch your shiny soon!
It took me 128 eggs.

Congrats on ruining your secret shiny santa gift =P

I'm so happy...

I am so happy for you, and so happy that one of my Mareep had its part in it all ;)

And I am a bit sad that Jinjiro's Christmas shiny won't be as special as I was hoping :( but I shall leave it up to you guys to decide what you'd like to do. I am slightly overwhelmed by the amount of work the swap was and still is, and am really looking forward to getting stuck into Zelda once the trades are all done.

Incidentally, does anyone know where I can get an extra Dragon Scale? I've KO-ed countless Horsea with a Gengar using Thief and not one of them had one.

Sorry Jinjiro. I wasn't expecting to get anything super special, so I kinda just started hatching eggs for one... It's kind of the reason why I wanted to breed a foreign Pokemon on that game I rented. ^^''
But it's fine, there's other shiny Pokemon I really like.

@Dizzi
Yeah sorry. ^^'' Hehe... But it'll be special none the less.
Dratini also carries Dragon Scales but it's the same percentage as Horsea's holding it.

So this might be a stupid question, but when breeding for shinies - how are you all doing it? Just collecting eggs all at once and then once you're full you start hatching them? Or do you do them in batches? Is there an amount you roughly have to reach? And do you keep them all in your PC until you get a shiny or can you start releasing/wonder-trading them slowly? I'M SORRY I'M SUCH A NOOB. D;

* I apologize if this needs to be asked in Pokemon General AND if this makes no sense

Last edited:
I always have a Talonflame in my first slot and then once everything else is filled with eggs I go to Lumiose City and do that looping trick over by the front of the gym till all the eggs in my party hatch. I'll then store them in the boxes and grab a new batch.

I would usually just store them till I get a shiny but you can start wonder trade/ release them if you want. I usually stop at around 1,000 - 1,500 eggs if none hatch out shiny (Or till I run out of boxes to store them in).

Well I'm breeding for shinies with good IVs, so my method is a bit more complex than just shiny breeding. But yes, just collect eggs and hatch 'em. You need at least one parent that's foreign (I usually use a Japanese one as they are so plentiful on WT), both parents can be foreign but not from the same language (so you can use a Japanese one with a Spanish one, for example). And then I just collect the eggs from the Day Care Man and ride up and down Route 7 to hatch them. You can Wonder Trade them out as you go, or fill up boxes until you have no space and then Wonder Trade them, or just release them - makes no difference to the chances of hatching a shiny. I prefer to WT them as I'm collecting Pokemiles for Rare Candies and PP Ups to send out at Christmas. And it makes no difference if you box the eggs before hatching them.

ETA yep, a Pokemon with Flame Body in your party is a must. And don't expect anything too soon - I've hatched goodness knows how many eggs since the competition we had a few weeks ago and haven't got a single shiny. Must be several thousand eggs. Yes, I have no life (actually, no work - I'm self-employed and there is NOTHING happening right now. Grrrrr.)

Last edited:
Okay, thanks a lot for answering my questions! I'm currently breeding my 5IV Eevee with a Japanese Ditto, so hopefully a shiny will pop up. If not, I'll start working on getting Vulpix to the IV's I want. :)

<3

Dratini also carries Dragon Scales but it's the same percentage as Horsea's holding it.

Thanks DemonOtaku, I've got it working now. As Horsea are so common with a Good Rod I'm farming them for the scales and usually get one within Thief's 25PP. I've already got a shiny Clauncher out of it too! Chain fishing is a breeze once you get the hang of it!

What does the community think of "legal" hacked pokemon? I have a few shinies which look legit in my White 2 game but I can never be sure -- does anyone really care how legit pokemon are as long as they are legal?

What does the community think of "legal" hacked pokemon? I have a few shinies which look legit in my White 2 game but I can never be sure -- does anyone really care how legit pokemon are as long as they are legal?
Do you mean Pok?checked ones or ones gotten via Gameshark, AR or Cloning?

Also, I'd like to join in order to get better at running into shinies. :)

Last edited:

I honestly don't care too much about how a shiny was obtained due to how rare they are as it is. Plus, when I picked up my copy of Black 2, I got it used and it came with a bunch of shinies and pokerus infected pokemon on it(moved them all to my black version before restarting Black2); course I have no way of knowing if they're legit or hacked.

Never went online before X/Y, and never found a shiny before X/Y either (apart from the usual Gyrados and just one of the event legendaries before X/Y came out). Before this, I only traded with myself or with my son. Never cloned anything except the occasional evolve item in Gold/Silver (which meant cloning a Pokemon as well of course). So all this online battling, trading, IV breeding, shiny breeding etc is totally new to me. You have to remember that, although I've been playing since Yellow, I was in my late twenties then, am a lot older now and I have always played in isolation - until now. So my take on this is probably not the same as most players.

I don't approve of hacked Pokemon at all, legal or not. I personally don't give a stuff what other people do, so long as they don't ruin it for everyone else. Asking on the GTS for Mudkip (currently impossible) or Milotic or Articuno for a shiny verson-exclusive, rather than trading for the other version's equivalent (or similar), is insane. And that is the end result of hacking Pokemon. Everything available can only be traded for another hacked Pokemon. All will be shiny, all will have 6IVs, and it will be impossible for anyone trading a legit Poke to get anything decent in return, unless they've spent a million hours breeding for it or got a really lucky wild encounter - and then it will be assumed their trade is hacked anyway. So why bother? Yeah, I don't approve of hacked Pokemon.

Never went online before X/Y, and never found a shiny before X/Y either (apart from the usual Gyrados and just one of the event legendaries before X/Y came out). Before this, I only traded with myself or with my son. Never cloned anything except the occasional evolve item in Gold/Silver (which meant cloning a Pokemon as well of course). So all this online battling, trading, IV breeding, shiny breeding etc is totally new to me. You have to remember that, although I've been playing since Yellow, I was in my late twenties then, am a lot older now and I have always played in isolation - until now. So my take on this is probably not the same as most players.

I don't approve of hacked Pokemon at all, legal or not. I personally don't give a stuff what other people do, so long as they don't ruin it for everyone else. Asking on the GTS for Mudkip (currently impossible) or Milotic or Articuno for a shiny verson-exclusive, rather than trading for the other version's equivalent (or similar), is insane. And that is the end result of hacking Pokemon. Everything available can only be traded for another hacked Pokemon. All will be shiny, all will have 6IVs, and it will be impossible for anyone trading a legit Poke to get anything decent in return, unless they've spent a million hours breeding for it or got a really lucky wild encounter - and then it will be assumed their trade is hacked anyway. So why bother? Yeah, I don't approve of hacked Pokemon.

I agree completely. I feel that if players want to hack, they should hack offline (just so that the effect of their hacking is for them only). When they play with hacks (or hacked Pok?mon) online then that is a major deal for me.

Back