• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

New Leaf English Localisation Terms (New Names Revealed April 11th)

Digby? DIGBY?
That sounds like some kind of Australian animal, what the heck Nintendo?
I don't see why they changed Community Projects. It makes more sense as that, plus it's faster to say.

Shoe Shank is also called Kicks.
This makes sense, as shank isn't all that nice of a word in English terms.
I found this out by watching gameplay of the English demo at SXSW.

Kicks owns Kicks. Obviously he didn't put much thought into what he would call his store when spending all that time on a doorstep in CF.

Digby reminds me of a CBBC show ha! For those who watch CBBC, gah! I know I don't? >.<

Shoe Shank is also called Kicks.
This makes sense, as shank isn't all that nice of a word in English terms.
I found this out by watching gameplay of the English demo at SXSW.

Shank is the JP name. They went for the "owner-name-in-the-shop-name" kind of deal. So, in the US, Kick's Kicks. Since the damn skunk is named Kicks.

The shop is only called Kicks', not Kicks' Kicks. Super T&T is the second shop upgrade and the name is a reference to Super Shop & Save, an old grocery store chain that became Hannaford supermarkets nowadays. Digby is a reference to SOMETHING, it's just slipping my tongue though... or fingertips.

New localization name revealed

If you watched the video of SXSW when the guy plays ACNL, He went to the mainstreet and checked out the shoe store and they revealed the name it's called 'Kicks' and the streetpass plaza name.

Anyway which is better? JP name (Shoe Shanks) or NA (Kicks)

Kent is named Digby in the game too >w< Sounds like Rigby from Regular show.
and Streetpass plaza is called HH Showcase

Sorry to EU and Australia players I don't really know if those are going to be your localization game names.

Source: http://acnewleaf.com/2013/03/11/5-m...l-crossing-new-leaf-footage-from-sxsw-gaming/

Last edited:
Hmm... i guess that it's okay that the store is called Kicks. But anyway, what happened to creativity? They could've tried a teeny bit harder.

I think they spent all their creativity trying to convince someone that Digby was a good replacement for Kent. :p

I think Kicks is a good name for a shoe store. Maybe if they'd named him something besides Kicks they could have done something different with the name. But the Japanese version had his name in the title, so they likely wanted to make sure they did the same.

If you watched the video of SXSW when the guy plays ACNL, He went to the mainstreet and checked out the shoe store and they revealed the name it's called 'Kicks' and the streetpass plaza name.

Anyway which is better? JP name (Shoe Shanks) or NA (Kicks)

Kent is named Digby in the game too >w< Sounds like Rigby from Regular show.
and Streetpass plaza is called HH Showcase

Sorry to EU and Australia players I don't really know if those are going to be your localization game names.

Source: http://acnewleaf.com/2013/03/11/5-m...l-crossing-new-leaf-footage-from-sxsw-gaming/

Rude. I already did this;
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showt...-March-12th)&p=1303777&viewfull=1#post1303777

This whole thread is killing me inside! There is a lot of useful info here... Digby... Reese?... As some one said before Kaizo should have been named Reese and Lisa should have been named Cyra, but i guess since Reese/Lisa is the main one there it only makes sense. Digby?! Isabelle... I think shizue is better but i don't mind too much. DIGBY?! I seriously kent bear this.

I don't minds most of the other changes. I just find everything funny.
I wonder if the name Digby has anything to do with "Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World"
That would be kinda stupid though XD

Back