• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

New Leaf English Localisation Terms (New Names Revealed April 11th)

Not that Shoe Shank was a bad name, but I actually love the store just being called Kicks, perfect name for a shoe store.

Hmm... i guess that it's okay that the store is called Kicks. But anyway, what happened to creativity? They could've tried a teeny bit harder.

They didn't try in the Japanese version either.

I think Kicks' is better than Shank, because of obvious reasons in the english language slang.

But I don't think they were being uncreative about it. Every one of Nook's stores had his name or a variation of it in it. lol

Can someone please tell me how Digby is an actual name? I'm admittedly out of the know when it comes to references to things that are not video games, if it's something like that. Is it an actual name in another country?

I don't mind it. While I didn't like the name Kent, I do agree with changing it. Considering its slang meaning in Australia and I think England, it wouldn't be exactly appropriate to keep that name lol
Digby is cute, though for some reason I would've renamed him as "Max"

Can someone please tell me how Digby is an actual name? I'm admittedly out of the know when it comes to references to things that are not video games, if it's something like that. Is it an actual name in another country?

It's an actual name, albeit a pretty uncommon one. Not sure where it originates, but I'd guess it probably has to do something with the ground or digging.

Ah alright, thanks. I always get thrown for a loop when a game company changes a name to something that sounds completely out of left field to me. I didn't even expect them to change Kent's name, since it's one of the common names I've heard a lot here in the US... I'm actually surprised to hear it's a slang-y name in other countries!

It reminds me of Doctor Who because the most recent Christmas special had a character called Digby. It's meant to sound kinda British as I'm assuming that Kent speaks quite politely in the Japanese so the easiest way to localise it is British, like Ryou Bakura from Yu-Gi-Oh.

I know this is an old thread, but I just found out that:

Reiji [JP] / Lazy [EN] = Leif! Here is the source.

I'm unaware on whether you know this, but I thought I'd just point it out.
There's also Luna, the tapir who works at the Dream Suite.

Was just about to post that. ^

Personally, I'm not at all sure about Leif, but I like Luna!

I love their names, I honestly hated the name "Reiji" and "Lazy".
Leif is so much better suited and Luna fits the Dream Suite lady perfectly!

I actually got these puns right away this time. :D

Those are both very nice names. I was actually thinking something along the lines of Luna, either that or Starla. I'm glad they went with Luna though. The name Leif made the sloth a little cuter.

Not sure why a lot of people don't seem to like the name Reese. I think it's cute :3 Better than Lisa, personally. Cyrus is a neat name too!

I like Reese and Cyrus. I also like the name Lisa.

I think they named her Reese for two reasons.

1. Re - reese and Cy -Cyrus = Recy, part of the word Recycle!

2. Reese's peanut butter cups are a favorite candy of a lot of American kids.

I like the name of Luna. Leif is an okay name, but I think of Vikings.

Back