• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Nintendo Direct: E3 2018

As a hardcore Smash fan since the N64, I completely agree. No, I will not stop bashing on how much they focused on Super Smash Bros.

smash isn't even a bad game. it's just frustrating how they focused the majority of their presentation on it. feels like a huge waste of an opportunity. pocket camp is probably at its peak popularity right now, this would've been a great time.

smash isn't even a bad game. it's just frustrating how they focused the majority of their presentation on it. feels like a huge waste of an opportunity. pocket camp is probably at its peak popularity right now, this would've been a great time.

30 minutes dedicated to smash was a bit excessive I agree.
I wish they'd give smash a loooong break. It's a good game I agree, I'm not a fan of it but it is a good game, but it definately needs a break, same with fire emblem. A new game coming out nearly every year...
The final wave of smash amiibo have only just rolled off the shelves and they've just dedicated half an E3 presentation to a port to the switch...

I know everyone thinks I'm super negative and apparently act like everything is the end of the world, but I just want everyone to set that aside and let me share some news that should legitimately concerning to everyone here.

In an interview with Reggie that NintendoEverything posted, we get...this:

? Reggie says lootboxes have gotten a bit of a bad rap broadly speaking
? The mechanic is as old as baseball cards Reggie says
? For Nintendo, a gameplay mechanic that offers consumers something to buy where you?re not sure what?s inside could be interesting if it?s not the only way to get those items

Being someone who has played some mobile "F2P" games, this is by far the worst trend I have ever seen in gaming, and I will make it no secret that it could seriously drive me away from gaming altogether if it expands into the console/handheld actual games I love.

And...Reggie... Reggie has just gone and validated it and strongly imply that he wants to bring it into Nintendo's games.

What does this mean, exactly? If you've played Pocket Camp lately, you have almost certainly noticed the fortune cookie system. The limited time objects that are only available from that. They hide them behind a currency that has limited availability in the game and then they make the items that you from 'purchasing' them random. The typical most desired items are very rare to get. This is to encourage you to spend REAL MONEY. But it's all RNG. You could pay lots of money and not get what you want.

This is what Reggie thinks is getting too much of bad reputation. And I hope you all can see this could turn out quite badly.

Is the Animal Crossing we're all looking forward to on Switch going to be like this? Please no. I will be so done with everything. =(

EDIT: So, I will change up a little bit of the pessimism I posted before now due to having misread it a little. He says "if the objects are available elsewhere". That is significantly better than what we've seen before. Usually these kinds of mechanics get you because the items are NOT available elsewhere. So disregard my "the world is ending" speech here... FOr the most part. Except take note that Nintendo is not always honest with what they say, and this may be here to make us feel like "Oh it won't be so bad" before they pull the rug out from under us.

Remember, Nintendo once said that they wouldn't do paid DLC. Literally within weeks (IIRC) they turned around and brought paid Fire Emblem Awakening DLC.

While what was said here wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be (my mistake). I do want everyone to be extremely cautious, because lootboxes are bad news. And I think anyone who has dealt with them knows this.

Last edited:
30 minutes dedicated to smash was a bit excessive I agree.
I wish they'd give smash a loooong break. It's a good game I agree, I'm not a fan of it but it is a good game, but it definately needs a break, same with fire emblem. A new game coming out nearly every year...
The final wave of smash amiibo have only just rolled off the shelves and they've just dedicated half an E3 presentation to a port to the switch...

Fire Emblem, while not the oldest, is among the older of Nintendo's franchises. It has existed since 1990. That's older than F-Zero by a few months, and also older than Star Fox, Kirby, Pok?mon, and I can go on from there. I'm half convinced that it would be a bigger household name if they released the series outside of Japan with the first game back then instead of waiting until 2003 because they didn't think American audiences could appreciate the gameplay. It has gained increased popularity in recent years. Other than the admittedly bad stories in the recent games like Awakening and Fates, there's no reason for Fire Emblem to not release games as often just because some people still don't look at it as one of Nintendo's important franchises. If Pok?mon can have the ridiculous release cycle it has, I see no reason for Fire Emblem to slow down if they put enough effort into making the stories and characters worthwhile.

As for Smash, they're cashing in on the people who like Super Smash Bros. but who did not buy the previous game on Wii U. They'd be fools not to, really. They're working off of the 3DS/Wii U skeleton, and there's a new Smash Bros. game for each home console since the Nintendo 64, so it's not unreasonable.

Last edited:
im sad about animal crossing and i really hope we get something soon but i like the smash stuff. ik roy was downloadable in smash for wii u and 3ds (which i didnt get bc im not a huge smash fan and it?s expensive) but i?m glad he?s going to be back in the game from the start bc he was my first main

but mostly i wish we got something about animal crossing

I know everyone thinks I'm super negative and apparently act like everything is the end of the world, but I just want everyone to set that aside and let me share some news that should legitimately concerning to everyone here.

In an interview with Reggie that NintendoEverything posted, we get...this:

Being someone who has played some mobile "F2P" games, this is by far the worst trend I have ever seen in gaming, and I will make it no secret that it could seriously drive me away from gaming altogether if it expands into the console/handheld actual games I love.

And...Reggie... Reggie has just gone and validated it and strongly imply that he wants to bring it into Nintendo's games.

What does this mean, exactly? If you've played Pocket Camp lately, you have almost certainly noticed the fortune cookie system. The limited time objects that are only available from that. They hide them behind a currency that has limited availability in the game and then they make the items that you from 'purchasing' them random. The typical most desired items are very rare to get. This is to encourage you to spend REAL MONEY. But it's all RNG. You could pay lots of money and not get what you want.

This is what Reggie thinks is getting too much of bad reputation. And I hope you all can see this could turn out quite badly.

Is the Animal Crossing we're all looking forward to on Switch going to be like this? Please no. I will be so done with everything. =(

EDIT: So, I will change up a little bit of the pessimism I posted before now due to having misread it a little. He says "if the objects are available elsewhere". That is significantly better than what we've seen before. Usually these kinds of mechanics get you because the items are NOT available elsewhere. So disregard my "the world is ending" speech here... FOr the most part. Except take note that Nintendo is not always honest with what they say, and this may be here to make us feel like "Oh it won't be so bad" before they pull the rug out from under us.

Remember, Nintendo once said that they wouldn't do paid DLC. Literally within weeks (IIRC) they turned around and brought paid Fire Emblem Awakening DLC.

While what was said here wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be (my mistake). I do want everyone to be extremely cautious, because lootboxes are bad news. And I think anyone who has dealt with them knows this.

Nintendo has never put straight up microtransactions/loot boxes in any of their true core games (Mario/Zelda/Animal Crossing/etc) and I doubt they ever will. DLC and loot boxes are two completely different things, and Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC was an addition to the game past what was already a complete game. Most games have paid DLC for things that actually make the game good (looking at EA), but I do not mind paying for extra content if the original game's experience was as good as I expected.

If you've played Pocket Camp lately, you have almost certainly noticed the fortune cookie system. The limited time objects that are only available from that. They hide them behind a currency that has limited availability in the game and then they make the items that you from 'purchasing' them random. The typical most desired items are very rare to get. This is to encourage you to spend REAL MONEY. But it's all RNG. You could pay lots of money and not get what you want.
He did say 'as long as it isn't the only way to get those items.' As long as that is true, I don't mind surprise boxes that randomly reward you with something from an item pool of differing rarities. As the previous poster said, Nintendo has never put paywalls in a console game's core story, and I don't see why they'd start doing so now.

I hope not.

I will never buy a game where I have to spend more money just to complete something.

I've already paid for the game, and that's all the money anyone should have to lay out.

Back