• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Nintendo Direct: E3 2018

I think a huge detail people are missing is that Nintendo are changing their E3 strategy and treating it more or less like a Nintendo Direct

This is the first time I actually got really disappointed but then I remember they don't do big or surprise people on E3. There'll probably be more Nintendo Direct(s) in the future for those kind of stuff. I just hope they won't be contented by Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! and Smash being only the "ber" month/holiday releases.

Since I went in with no expectations set, I was honestly happy with what they showed off. I can understand and sympathize with the disappointment some feel about the fact that there is still no announcement for the next Animal Crossing game, but for my own part, I still enjoy New Leaf enough that I'm not clamoring for the next one yet. I'm fine with them taking their time to make the next installment the best they can.

I'm cautiously optimistic with regards to Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I've been burned a few too many times in recent years (Awakening, Fates, Warriors, the Atlus abomination) but Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was presented very well with regards to characters, story, music, and voice acting despite its archaic gameplay being lifted from Gaiden back from 1992. The gameplay for Fire Emblem: Three Houses both looks gorgeous and really fun to play. I'm going to just have to hope that the characters and story this time around aren't awful because just from what we've seen I really want to like it.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate honestly blew me away. All the things that the fans thought they had figured out about which characters get cut when and for what reasons were completely thrown out the window when it was revealed that every character who has ever been in a Super Smash Bros. game would be returning and playable. The game, like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, looks gorgeous. I was overjoyed to see a few key things:

- Ike having both his Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn designs as playable options, along with the voice difference. Since they're my favorite games of all, and as an Ike main, that was a treat.

- Paula and Poo helping Ness and Kumatora and Boney helping Lucas during their respective Final Smashes. I would honestly have prefered to have Kumatora as a playable character, but I'm glad to see that more of the characters from the Mother games are getting acknowledgement.

- Ridley's reveal cinematic. I'm not even a fan of Metroid but I know how many people wanted him as a playable character and the way they showed him off here was awesome.

Daisy's reveal as a playable character was pretty neat too. I'm intrigued by Echo fighters.

As someone who has been wrestling with whether I should bother with purchasing a Switch in the future due to some issues it has, I am definitely interested in acquiring one before December for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's release, and hopefully for Fire Emblem: Three Houses too if they don't drop the ball.

It is unfortunate that they didn't announce any new games that we didn't know about already. Was it a bad conference for most people? Yeah. I am nonetheless content with what was shown.

I'm really disappointed. Thought it would happen last year, thought it would happen this year. I bought the switch and tried a few games, but those experiences are just not as fun as ac for me. Bleh smh

Last edited:
Its not disappointing. You all knew that it was going to be focused on Smash 5.

AC Switch will be announced, just not in E3's anymore. Don't forget, we got no info on Yoshi for the Nintendo Switch this E3. It would seem as an AC Switch may be announced and Yoshi Switch may have more info in a later Nintendo Direct this year.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also, Pocket Camp is still too new. Give the game a few more months and it'll be quite old.

ACNL was announced at E3 2010 so we have every right to be salty.

Also we knew there would be smash news but over HALF of the damn direct on it? Give me a break. So many of those details should have been spared for a different announcement.

No Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, AC, news? When I'm the most hyped over the Doom sequel you know Nintendo ****ed up hard. Don't get me wrong, Doom is awesome, but like...I should be hyped over way more games. Nintendo's presentation was not only bad, this whole E3 sucked

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also why on earth is Daisy in smash but not Waluigi? And the fact they are canonizing the clone fighters is Sakurai basically middle fingering all of us. Daisy should have been given a unique moveset but no, they made her a Peach clone. Predictable Sakurai disappointment. I'm ok with Daisy and Ridley being in but seriously Sakurai, ANOTHER clone was not what I wanted out of Daisy.

such a let down wtf
smash is literally not even that good (no offence smash fans but come on why focus the whole thing on smash? like there are so many other options)

As a hardcore Smash fan since the N64, I completely agree. No, I will not stop bashing on how much they focused on Super Smash Bros.

smash 4.5 looks bleak in all honesty
all the other games were unimpressive
hopefully AC will be announced relatively quickly

smh at ppl over reacting to no ac like go do something more productive lol >_>

This is the one time of the year where we hear about the upcoming slate of games and things to ACTUALLY be excited about. Like I said in my last posts, this Nintendo direct was such a huge letdown because it was focused exclusively on games we already knew about and spent OVER HALFFFF of the time on smash. No Yoshi news, no Metroid news, no new AC, NOTHING.

So please spare us the self-righteousness. This is the time of year where we tune in and hope for hype. And you're essentially commanding us to not be salty when there isn't any hype. Puh-lease.

Beyond disappointing. Inb4 "it's because no AC" although I had hoped for it by some miracle I didn't expect it to happen. Just upset that Smash took up as much time as it did. Seemed like other stuff barely got any attention

Maybe New Leaf was their final installment. They are just not interested in continuing the series. Would explain why there is ZERO information about a new AC game. Maybe they are content with a few spin offs and the mobile game.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this game. But I do wonder if they are just done.

i tried not to get my hopes up, but it's still just so disheartening to see that there's still no animal crossing for switch.

Maybe New Leaf was their final installment. They are just not interested in continuing the series. Would explain why there is ZERO information about a new AC game. Maybe they are content with a few spin offs and the mobile game.

I highly doubt that, trademarks were filed for a new game and the website was updated with placeholders so it's coming it's just a matter of when

I highly doubt this is the case. You have to remember Nintendo is a business, and is primarily concerned with making money. Unless they have somehow concluded a new AC will not make them much money, they are going to make a new game.

Even if it doesn't happen this year, it's going to happen at some point.

smh at ppl over reacting to no ac like go do something more productive lol >_>

Don't act like you're better than everyone because you're not voicing displeasure about the Direct. The whole point of this thread is to discuss what we do and don't like about Nintendo's presentation. So if you don't want to see people complaining about Nintendo on a thread revolving around Nintendo, then get off of the thread and "do something more productive".

Last edited:

I don't think you need to worry that much. Animal Crossing is a big franchise for them. That is the very reason they made spin-offs and the mobile game. They're not jeopardizing the series, they mean that Animal Crossing is doing well and they want to make it a bigger franchise.

It is a disappointment that AC Switch didn't show up here. I do wonder why they're holding off on it, but I'm sure it's coming. I'm also sure that if we had gotten a new AC back when Happy Home Designer and Amiibo Festival was released, it wouldn't have been anything impressive. There is a heck of a lot they have to do to follow-up New Leaf, and I hope the time they've had is helping them do that.

I don't think you need to worry that much. Animal Crossing is a big franchise for them. That is the very reason they made spin-offs and the mobile game. They're not jeopardizing the series, they mean that Animal Crossing is doing well and they want to make it a bigger franchise.

It is a disappointment that AC Switch didn't show up here. I do wonder why they're holding off on it, but I'm sure it's coming. I'm also sure that if we had gotten a new AC back when Happy Home Designer and Amiibo Festival was released, it wouldn't have been anything impressive. There is a heck of a lot they have to do to follow-up New Leaf, and I hope the time they've had is helping them do that.

I hope so! I was actually ready to buy a Switch today just to play AC. I’m just concerned with no information at all. Not even a little tiny hint.

I'm just sad about the complete lack of news on AC. I mean yeah, gameplay footage and a release date would be amazing, but I just want a "hey, we're working on it! Don't know when to expect it but we're doing something! " I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember some AC news back when the switch was still the NX. Didn't the animal crossing team say they were developing a new game for the NX? Any tidbit of info would be welcome, a little leaf logo like the metroid prime 4 teaser would be fantastic. Anything!

I ****ing knew it, trademarks are bull**** when it comes to nintendo lmao
smash is not enough for me to buy a switch so on the bright side im glad I'm saving money :)

Does anyone remember that this E3 Direct was focusing only on games releasing in 2018? Well, 2 games were revealed in this direct, and they are coming in 2019.

I'm not saying that Nintendo had a chance to announce AC Switch, i'm just pointing that out.

Like I said, AC Switch will be announced, maybe even out of the blue. But i'd hate it if they don't announce AC at all this year. There was a reason why they didn't announce AC Switch in 2016 and 2017. They were working on the AC:NL Update and Pocket Camp. Now that those two games are out of the way, they'll be working on AC Switch.

I do believe Nintendo was planning on announcing AC Switch at E3, but 1: They had no room for other extra games. 2: Its a popular game, as to with Smash Bros. 3: It was focused on Smash Bros content. And finally: 4. There will be more hype for AC Switch than to Smash Bros Switch.

In Conclusion: There is a best bet for Animal Crossing Switch to be announced on its own. Quite possibly as a teaser trailer that will be announced at a random date, and maybe in late Fall, they'll show a direct focusing on Animal Crossing Switch. So, if this is all true, you'll know why AC Switch wasn't announced at E3. And don't forget that no news for AC:NL was revealed at E3 in 2012, but there was new corocoro info and AC:NL info on a Nintendo Direct on 10/25/12. So, there is still hope for Animal Crossing Switch. Believe in AC Switch!

Back