Phantom in the Fairgrounds

A few of the actions text responses were so funny. How did you make it? I've always wanted to make one.
There's a few different parts to this, but I think "how do the commands/progression work" is probably what would be easiest to explain and the most interesting! So, very generally speaking, the idea is:
  • Keep track of states and add/remove them as needed
  • You specify commands and targets, as well as the response for that pair
    • The responses may vary depending on the current states
  • As an example:
    • Maybe we have the command "take candy" which would give some response and adds a state called HAS_CANDY.
    • We could also then have the command "eat candy" which would remove the HAS_CANDY state.
      • This would also require players to have the HAS_CANDY state already -- if they don't, maybe we can give them a different message!
  • Generalizing more, a lot of the states are pretty much:
    • What items have been taken?
    • Where is the player currently?
    • Has the player seen certain prompts yet?
... And then the majority of the work is in keeping track of states and writing responses as needed! To be honest, most game development things are just "keep track of the current state and respond accordingly".

As for how I set it up and write everything... it's in a spreadsheet! The entirety of the game, in a silly little spreadsheet \( ' w ' )/
1729864855495.png

Which is maybe a bit of a whacky way to do things, but it's what works best for me. I have my own little scripts to parse that into what I need for the game.

If you wanted to know the actual technical part of everything, uh... it's in pure Javascript (and HTML/CSS).
Most of the games I make are, just because I find it fun to do the logic and 'engine' programming myself.

... and yeah I'm just going to leave my answer at that, because it'll probably get longer and... probably more detail than anyone cares to know. 💦
you can also just view the source code from the website though. it's readable and just a bit weird in some places for my own sake.

thank you for coming to my ted talk. i feel like i always go on a really long tangent when asked how to do something. im sorry lmao

There's a few different parts to this, but I think "how do the commands/progression work" is probably what would be easiest to explain and the most interesting! So, very generally speaking, the idea is:
  • Keep track of states and add/remove them as needed
  • You specify commands and targets, as well as the response for that pair
    • The responses may vary depending on the current states
  • As an example:
    • Maybe we have the command "take candy" which would give some response and adds a state called HAS_CANDY.
    • We could also then have the command "eat candy" which would removethe HAS_CANDY state.
      • This would also require players to have the HAS_CANDY state already -- if they don't, maybe we can give them a different message!
  • Generalizing more, a lot of the states are pretty much:
    • What items have been taken?
    • Where is the player currently?
    • Has the player seen certain prompts yet?
... And then the majority of the work is in keeping track of states and writing responses as needed! To be honest, most game development things are just "keep track of the current state and respond accordingly".

As for how I set it up and write everything... it's in a spreadsheet! The entirety of the game, in a silly little spreadsheet \( ' w ' )/
View attachment 593484
Which is maybe a bit of a whacky way to do things, but it's what works best for me. I have my own little scripts to parse that into what I need for the game.

If you wanted to know the actual technical part of everything, uh... it's in pure Javascript (and HTML/CSS).
Most of the games I make are, just because I find it fun to do the logic and 'engine' programming myself.

... and yeah I'm just going to leave my answer at that, because it'll probably get longer and... probably more detail than anyone cares to know. 💦
you can also just view the source code from the website though. it's readable and just a bit weird in some places for my own sake.

thank you for coming to my ted talk. i feel like i always go on a really long tangent when asked how to do something. im sorry lmao
me: I understand! (does not understand)

What a fun lil' adventure!
A lil unsure on the second clue but I got there in the end! Really loved the lil messages

Screenshot 2024-10-25 20.29.12.png

Theres actually a game called Buddy Simulator 1984 that has this typr of adventuer for a bit, and boi is it fun! Still havent finished it yet. If you do try it out you may figure out why ahah. I would suggest for more fun, to take frequent breaks to see what happens once you're back in the game 0-0

Back