• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Place your random thoughts.

@Americans, what does it mean to be a southern belle? Is it a compliment?? I am confusion
It's mostly used as a sort of archetypal descriptor term; a southern belle refers to a young, rich/upperclass southern white woman from the Antebellum ("pre-war", in reference to the American Civil War) period. It definitely shouldn't be used as a compliment, seeing as they'd be from families that owned (or were closely financially connected to) plantations that profited off of slave labor.
The archetype is unfortunately still romanticized in certain parts of the south, where you'll see occasional "Antebellum" or "plantation" themed parties that try to evoke the image of the historical parties held by plantation owners, with similar style of dress, a heavy emphasis on ""manners"", and typically held on real plantation estates. Of course, the ugly truth of it is that these families' wealth was gained from the forced labor of enslaved people, and all the preparation and entertainment for these parties would've been done by house slaves.

Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind is probably the most famous fictional example of this archetype.

Today is the first time I got the yellow connections last, probably because they're all pretty easy today imo.

Also got the mini done in 00:38, very smart day for me. It won't continue.

you know you’re sick when you miss your daily duolingo streak. (that was me last night, i had a horrible headache)

It's mostly used as a sort of archetypal descriptor term; a southern belle refers to a young, rich/upperclass southern white woman from the Antebellum ("pre-war", in reference to the American Civil War) period. It definitely shouldn't be used as a compliment, seeing as they'd be from families that owned (or were closely financially connected to) plantations that profited off of slave labor.
The archetype is unfortunately still romanticized in certain parts of the south, where you'll see occasional "Antebellum" or "plantation" themed parties that try to evoke the image of the historical parties held by plantation owners, with similar style of dress, a heavy emphasis on ""manners"", and typically held on real plantation estates. Of course, the ugly truth of it is that these families' wealth was gained from the forced labor of enslaved people, and all the preparation and entertainment for these parties would've been done by house slaves.

Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind is probably the most famous fictional example of this archetype.
Thanks for answering! I tried googling it and I couldn’t get a grasp of what it was meaning. Yeah definitely not a compliment, and in the context it was used it could be very racial and I hope that’s not what he meant or what I’m like 😬

Someone from Discord shared this screenshot, so I thought I'd show it here because it's interesting. I censored part of it myself BTW.
IMG_3501.jpeg

@Americans, what does it mean to be a southern belle? Is it a compliment?? I am confusion
I think a southern belle refers to a prim and proper lady. I've definitely heard it before, but I think it's not really a term that's used much anymore. my mum is from the south (Mississippi) so that's basically how I know.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 566656

A perfect example of proper songwriting. It appears that 'hate' does indeed rhyme with 'hate'. 🤔
"hmmm yes, the floor here is made of floor."

I tried Wild World for the first time and I just couldn't. If it was my first Animal Crossing game I think I would've loved it, but having spent hundreds of hours on New Leaf and New Horizons first it's hard to go to Wild World as a third game. I don't mind the graphics like other people do. For a fully 3D DS game it actually looks really good. The cartoony art style the series is known for helped the game age better visually than other 3D DS games and it's surprisingly detailed. It's just how sluggish the movement is compared to newer games because of the extremely low framerate that bothers me.

If it makes you feel any better I was watching the stream and I thought you did great at the game and chatting on discord. I'm always happy to see you in the chat but if you need a little break I understand. I've also been diagnosed with ocd so I know how bad feelings can linger. I hope you feel better about the situation soon my friend

Thanks so much; I really appreciate it 🫂💜💜. Sorry for being a broken record about this. No need to apologize either. I know I shouldn’t let this stop me from chatting or participating; it makes me anxious though it will happen again and worry that I’m only embarrassing myself.
Post automatically merged:

If it makes you feel any better I was watching the stream and I thought you did great at the game and chatting on discord. I'm always happy to see you in the chat but if you need a little break I understand. I've also been diagnosed with ocd so I know how bad feelings can linger. I hope you feel better about the situation soon my friend
Thanks so much Oak; that is really kind of you to say. I really appreciate it 🫂💜💜

This one time, before we were going to go for a field trip for band, one of the juniors said that he was going to airdrop everyone an mp4 of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. Like, the full thing. And he actually did it, and the band teacher let him do it because it was funny so why not. Anyway, that was two years ago, so he’s in college now, but I never got that mp4 so I’ll probably never get it. Rip.

I like how I always get two reactions from two specific people as soon as I post in the out of context quotes thread. It makes me wonder why they love this thread so much...
I love how I come back to this after "❤️"ing your recent post in that thread... XD

The "out of context quotes" thread is one of my favorite TBT threads, and I often find quotes from shows I love posted by a few users (you know who you are!), which is why I started reacting to almost all the posts (even if it's out of habit now).

Back