• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Smash Bros Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Am I the only one who plays World of Lights on the easy mode and still has troubles to win some
matches? Like there are matches which are so hard that I needed over 10 takes till I finally won
them... And right now I have big problems to win that one match with Iggy. Kinda sucks to be
honest. :/

I have hardly touched World of Light, but have played through a number of the Spirits matches and yeah they're pretty difficult. I also don't like the little reflexes mini-game afterward in Spirits mode which can easily cost you a Spirit that you fought really hard to beat just because your reflexes failed you. D:

This game is certainly difficult. I hope all of the people complaining about games being "too easy" these days are satisfied.

Last edited:
I've had lots of time with the game and overall I love it. I think my hype for it this entire time keeps making me just love it. I unlocked all the characters so we shall see if it holds up without the excitement of having a challenger every 5 minutes.

The online seems wonky, i need to go back to change characters... like really? maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it still seems weird. Also the people I've encountered on it seem very campy. I'm giving it a pass for now since its new for everyone, but still. When you encounter a lot of people consistently running away from you its annoying

My best character so far has been duck hunt. He translated well from Sm4sh, his cans combo better this game but it made it more difficult to actually hit people with them so I'm already getting better at using them for pressure and set-ups rather than damage (especially when people are trying to just run away and spam projectiles). I know lots of people think he is "cheap," but I've been cognizant of how cheap everyone is... there is a neutral, but then there is just straight running away and doing the same tactic each time. Duck hunt has been great in providing lots of avenues for mix-ups and keeping these runaways on their toes. I feel no remorse if I "spam" cans when everytime I use it to try to lead to an opening, but the person scampers out and runs to the other side.

I would def say I'm a zoning and pressure type of player, hence why duck hunt has been so natural to me so far. I'm really drawn to the options with simon and richter, but damn if there recovery isn't just terrible. My old main Game and watch is completely different feeling, I liked his bomb option at first, but I miss the brick lol (thank god it can't hurt me too). I still need to get used to the feeling of this game vs the last for sure, I have so many mistakes or times when I'm like "that's not what I did" that its unreal.

I enjoy World of Light so far, I've had some difficulties on normal, but its clear what I can and can't do.... so like all the legendary spirits. I did cheese out M.Bison though so I've been using his. I mostly like it for the sheer variety and all the different scenarios that have shown up, especially from series that I actually know. Like Snorlax battle where he just doesn't move. It's not subspace, but I still think its enjoyable in its own right. The story is meh, I liked Game theory's video on it.

Overall I'm super pleased with the game. Is it super easy conversion from my past experience, no but I'm fine with it and working up to make it feel super smooth and work to get down the mechanics. I wouldn't want it to be easy like that anyway. Isabelle is also the cutest thing ever, but damn is her neutral game terrible.... her fishing pole and victory screen with the gyroid is like my favorite thing ever though

Online is really weird and idk if I'll ever get used to it lmao

I think it's a good change but I'm not happy that when the game can't find a match with my preferred rules it'll just throw me in a laggy 4 player match anyways even though I intentially picked 1-on-1 to prevent that

I would go as far as saying that it annoys me a LOT

Arena thingies are cool tho

Last edited:
I still don't even have the game yet, but I wanted to throw out a suggestion on the stagelist for any tournaments that get run here.
At least for the first few tournaments, I think it would be best to have as many stages allowed as possible. From there, we can see which ones (if any) need to be cut. I'd also say that hazards should be permanently off. For irl tournaments, switching between hazards being on and off is fine, but for online games you could turn on hazards and pick Smashville, but then your opponent picks Unova League and thanks to random selection, congrats now you have Reshiram lighting the entire stage on fire. And hazards off allows so many more stages to be picked soooooo yeah. Anyways for the stages:
  • Battlefield (plus any Battlefield forms of other stages)
  • Final Destination (plus any FD forms of other stages)
  • Dream Land 64
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2
  • Warioware Inc.
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville
  • Town & City
  • Unova Pokemon League
  • Kalos Pokemon League
  • Midgar
And the next few idk since again I don't have the game yet and I haven't seen how these stages work out, but just to consider:
  • Brinstar
  • Delfino Plaza (I think it still travels with hazards off? so prob not. Same with other traveling stages like Wuhu Island and Skyloft)
  • Norfair
  • Frigate Orpheon (this section is pretty much just the Metroid stages)
  • Halberd
  • Castle Siege
  • Arena Ferox
  • Pictochat 2 (isn't it just Final Destination but with the slightly dipped edges?)
  • Umbra Clock Tower
Either way please just don't limit the stage selection to Battlefield and FD. For this first tournament it's fine since everyone is still trying to get a feel for the game, but for later ones it absolutely has to include more stages. Maybe not as many as what I listed, but we need more than 2 options.
yes I purposely left off that mess of a stage known as Lylat

Last edited:
I played World of Light and there's something I noticed. I took a look at my milestones and I noticed that the characters I unlocked during that play session displayed times that are the same as each other. For example, I awakened Luigi and Jigglypuff and they both displayed the time of 20:40, the time you would stop playing adventure mode. So if you're pretty sentimental of your milestones, be sure to exit adventure mode everytime you awaken a fighter. Unless of course, you already unlocked them from different modes.

so I'm guessing these smashvil threads are popular again
YESSSSS cause every other game forums like splat zone are not popular

so I'm guessing these smashvil threads are popular again
YESSSSS cause every other game forums like splat zone are not popular

I think it's mainly because we haven't gotten a new Animal Crossing game in a long time so the active userbase on here has shrunk compared to a couple years ago. Just give it some time :)

Only had this game for a month and it’s already my most played game. I’ve outplayed Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Mario Odyssey.

If nobody else puts a new tourney up before the weekend, I will probably put one up. There will be no limited fighter pool like the first tourney, obviously. It was a lot worse than I expected :p

If nobody else puts a new tourney up before the weekend, I will probably put one up. There will be no limited fighter pool like the first tourney, obviously. It was a lot worse than I expected :p

I'll try to set it up later today or tomorrow I think.

I have an arena open rn, the ID is GCFWW and the password is 8062! Done for now, thanks to the 2 people who joined!

Last edited:
I updated but forgot to change my replays to videos. ;(

Yeah but I'm not sure if they even said when the paid DLC for Piranha Plant comes available. I really hope that it has a lower price point, too. Since you're only getting a fighter (with unique moveset though, pretty nice). The other paid DLCs include a stage and several new music tracks, presumably also a handful of spirits. So Piranha Plant theoretically has less value than the rest. I'd say €3 to €4 would be a good price point but they'll probably sell it for €5. Smash DLC has always been expensive :/

Anyway it could still take a couple months for it to become available for everyone. Unless they surprise release it like just about everything they did last week (Splatoon update, Switch update, what's next?).

Back