• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Smash Bros Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Now that I've had time to collect my thoughts and think about everything that was revealed in the Direct, I shall talk about it. First of all, Incineroar. This is probably the best newcomer that was revealed in that direct, in my opinion. At first, I was very iffy about Incineroar. But I saw it's moveset and how it'll play, and that quickly changed. Incineroar looks fun as hell and I can't wait to play him. Looks like my type of fighter for sure. I also like Ken, but I'll probably rarely play Ken because I can't play Ryu to save my life already. Now, for the big one - Piranha Plant. Sakurai, you madman. I love this idea, and it's something I never knew I wanted in Smash until now. Characters aside, if I had to nitpick one thing, I suppose it'd be that I'm not 100% confident that the online will be good still. I guess we'll have to wait and see, and the changes look good on paper, but I don't have faith in Nintendo to do online stuff properly after failing to do it with Brawl and Smash 4. As long as I can do 1v1, Stock, No Items with other people with similar preferences without a whole bunch of lag, I'll be happy. They did say they'd try to match you up against people with similar preferences, granted, but again, I don't have faith in Nintendo to deliver. We'll see, I guess. Also, why is Global Smash Power back? I didn't care about this in Smash 4 and the only reason I'll care here is because I'll want to be able to play Elite Smash online. But why not just have like...a normal leveling system like literally every other competitive game? Other than that, the game is looking wonderful and I can't wait to play it on December 7th.

@NoUsernameHere

Yeah I agree about the online mechanics. It looks pretty bad. It seems like there is no way to confirm a match with your preferred settings (and everyone else who wants to play competitively). I kinda wish there was a League of Legends or CS:GO type laddered ranking system for Smash. Also I wish it was no longer P2P. They haven't confirmed anything but client/server looks like it won't be happening.

@NoUsernameHere

Yeah I agree about the online mechanics. It looks pretty bad. It seems like there is no way to confirm a match with your preferred settings (and everyone else who wants to play competitively). I kinda wish there was a League of Legends or CS:GO type laddered ranking system for Smash. Also I wish it was no longer P2P. They haven't confirmed anything but client/server looks like it won't be happening.

Yeah. I suppose there's always 3rd party websites like Anther's Ladder, but you shouldn't have to go through 3rd party websites in the first place to get a decent and competitive match. I should be able to get that from the official servers, but I'm not surprised that the online looks pretty bad I guess. Splatoon 2, one of Nintendo's biggest online games, still uses P2P iirc.

I wonder if the young Link amiibo is going to have the same item spawns as the Majora's Mask, or the Ocarina of Time version in Breath of the Wild.

I wasn't hyped for this game very much until they revealed the Spirits. I'm all about the unlocking aspects of Smash rather than the online play. So with the huge roster to unlock and the massive amount of spirits, I think I can safely say there's enough content to keep me busy for a long while lol

I was watching a new video of some gameplay... they gave my boi Mr Gdub some new moves! he drops a bomb for forward air and his up air is a multi hit upward projectile almost. I AM QUAKING

https://youtu.be/Z_Pcs6Fympw

There has been news of a tweet Mr. Sakurai stating: "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's DLC is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan."

Looks like there wont be a fighter ballot this time.

P l e a s e all i want is one thing

KSA_Bandana_Dee.jpg

Removing G&W's racist imagery

Guys, it's recently come to my attention that Game & Watch's front smash is going to be altered in the final game in terms of appearance. Apparently, there are people who are actually offended by two frames of his animation.

Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/rr_gale/status/1058633923738193920

And an article as well talking more about this: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/super-smash-bros-ultimate-native-american-reference-1203021909/

For those who don't know, Mr. Game & Watch's front smash attack calls back to one of the old games called Fire Attack. In that game, the objective is to protect your fort from catching fire from the Native Americans.

Now, I understand that there's some dark history about them and I'm not saying that I'm belittling them on that. My point is, why do people get easily offended by something that is just from a video game?! There are FAR more serious issues that are to be dealt with than this! And even that they achieved the goal of changing G&W's depiction of that move, what good will it bring them? Will it reduce crime? Will it help fight against mistreatment? No, because it's just a video game that is meant for people of all ages. If this really offends those types of people, what more of the real issues? And if they really go all out on tackling these simple things to the next level, those people really need to get their priorities checked. Don't waste your energy on simple things!

I'm actually mad at this. First, those types of people were complaining about Mario Odyssey because of Mexican representation and now this. Absolutely infuriating.

Note to mods: Please feel free to delete this post if needed. I feel like there are some things that are taken way too far and needs to be addressed.

Guys, it's recently come to my attention that Game & Watch's front smash is going to be altered in the final game in terms of appearance. Apparently, there are people who are actually offended by two frames of his animation.

Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/rr_gale/status/1058633923738193920

And an article as well talking more about this: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/super-smash-bros-ultimate-native-american-reference-1203021909/

For those who don't know, Mr. Game & Watch's front smash attack calls back to one of the old games called Fire Attack. In that game, the objective is to protect your fort from catching fire from the Native Americans.

Now, I understand that there's some dark history about them and I'm not saying that I'm belittling them on that. My point is, why do people get easily offended by something that is just from a video game?! There are FAR more serious issues that are to be dealt with than this! And even that they achieved the goal of changing G&W's depiction of that move, what good will it bring them? Will it reduce crime? Will it help fight against mistreatment? No, because it's just a video game that is meant for people of all ages. If this really offends those types of people, what more of the real issues? And if they really go all out on tackling these simple things to the next level, those people really need to get their priorities checked. Don't waste your energy on simple things!

I'm actually mad at this. First, those types of people were complaining about Mario Odyssey because of Mexican representation and now this. Absolutely infuriating.

Note to mods: Please feel free to delete this post if needed. I feel like there are some things that are taken way too far and needs to be addressed.

I first want to point out that this is an actual Native who is complaining about a negative depiction of his/her culture, while all the complaints about Mario Odyssey that I have seen were from non-Mexican people who were getting rebutted by actual Mexicans who appreciate a positive aspect of their culture being featured in such a big hit title as Super Mario. I personally have not seen any Mexican anger towards it, but feel free to share if there were cases you're aware of that may help me get a better understanding.

But to the actual point you made: You are 100% allowed to feel how you do about the matter. I can't talk from the perspective of a Native American either, as I am not one. From experience though, when an issue is very draining on my spirit, smaller things embodying the issue can get very frustrating, especially when entering into something beloved that has brought brought joy into my life. It's like a stain on a favourite blouse; it's an eye-sore. If you don't see it, it's a killer piece! If you do, it can be irritating. Other media depictions of Native Americans through the decades have been very negative as well (though there have been some more positive ones recently), so it's understandably frustrating when it is continually being perpetuated- even into the 21st century. It may not be a big deal to those who are not offended, but if it doesn't matter, then it also shouldn't matter if they change the aesthetic slightly. Anyway, it's still staying the same forward smash, so there's no difference in gameplay to worry about. :)

I first want to point out that this is an actual Native who is complaining about a negative depiction of his/her culture, while all the complaints about Mario Odyssey that I have seen were from non-Mexican people who were getting rebutted by actual Mexicans who appreciate a positive aspect of their culture being featured in such a big hit title as Super Mario. I personally have not seen any Mexican anger towards it, but feel free to share if there were cases you're aware of that may help me get a better understanding.

But to the actual point you made: You are 100% allowed to feel how you do about the matter. I can't talk from the perspective of a Native American either, as I am not one. From experience though, when an issue is very draining on my spirit, smaller things embodying the issue can get very frustrating, especially when entering into something beloved that has brought brought joy into my life. It's like a stain on a favourite blouse; it's an eye-sore. If you don't see it, it's a killer piece! If you do, it can be irritating. Other media depictions of Native Americans through the decades have been very negative as well (though there have been some more positive ones recently), so it's understandably frustrating when it is continually being perpetuated- even into the 21st century. It may not be a big deal to those who are not offended, but if it doesn't matter, then it also shouldn't matter if they change the aesthetic slightly. Anyway, it's still staying the same forward smash, so there's no difference in gameplay to worry about. :)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :) Honestly, it's quite refreshing to hear what you have to say on this particular subject. On the other side of the internet, it's kind of a different story but it has something to do with certain types of people that I don't wanna get into.

Relating back to smash, Mr. Game & Watch is one of my favourite characters to play as. Considering the fact that the game collection and himself is over 35 years old really blows my mind! So old that my parents were able to play it when they were kids! To me, Smash Bros. is a celebration of gaming. Grabbing different characters from different eras is a great idea if you want to represent video games as a whole. Granted, there are some characters like Crash Bandicoot, Banjo-Kazooie and others that didn't make it in, but DLC has already been announced with five characters decided so we'll see!

I think if you're gonna be against racism you have to against all forms, big and small. I don't think sakurai or nintendo did this knowingly and I think it can be chocked up as an oversight that when opened up to more people became prevalent. People shouldn't be angry on either side of this argument. People upset over the depiction in the first place, should recognize they were heard and be happy it's changing. The people upset at it changing or saying the people wanting changed are "dumb for wanting a video game changed" need to chill because they are even worse and probably never faced racial prejudice in their life.

I think we should see this example as how things should be handled. Nintendo got feedback on something, and heard these outcries and will fix it. That is so big and the type of actions we need to see in these times. You can make mistakes, but it's how you handle them that matters most

Yeah I agree with toadsworthy on this. It was an unintentional inclusion of a racism, and Nintendo is trying to be respectful by removing it. How will the removal of this negatively affect your gameplay experience? Societal racism is usually brought in by normalizing offensive stereotypes. By leaving it in, you're normalizing it and contributing to the problem.

I think if you're gonna be against racism you have to against all forms, big and small. I don't think sakurai or nintendo did this knowingly and I think it can be chocked up as an oversight that when opened up to more people became prevalent. People shouldn't be angry on either side of this argument. People upset over the depiction in the first place, should recognize they were heard and be happy it's changing. The people upset at it changing or saying the people wanting changed are "dumb for wanting a video game changed" need to chill because they are even worse and probably never faced racial prejudice in their life.

I think we should see this example as how things should be handled. Nintendo got feedback on something, and heard these outcries and will fix it. That is so big and the type of actions we need to see in these times. You can make mistakes, but it's how you handle them that matters most

That was well said. Coudln't have said it better myself. <3

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently bought the smash switch and is loving in. Well worth being broke for the month.

in Japan they're selling boxes with 63 amiibo. Nice.
2018-11-20-smash-amiibo-box.jpg

Last edited:
Back