• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Smash Bros Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Yes, I could totally see Goombella from TTYD as an assist who would explain things about your opponents. Maybe ways to counter them, their history, their background ect. And her text would also block the screen somewhat.

I also see Paper Mario having specials that utilize his paper abilities. Like the paper airplane thing that happens in one of the games. Maybe that's his recovery.

^That Goombella feature sounds more akin to Snake's and Pit's special taunts (but for Paper Mario) than an assist trophy. Unless that's what you mean and I'm too immersed in this game's terminology. :p

You know what I think? Now that King K. Rool has been revealed from Smash, I think in the next Donkey Kong Country game it'll star him as the main antagonist in either a new or a remake of the 3 original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy games. Just like Crash and Spyro did.

Yeah I was going to say. I don't recall Rool being in any of the most recent installments. Last few games have had cursed tiki items or something.

Also is anyone here a fan of Phantasy Star? (I'm not talking about Online 2) It'd be cool if they somehow had one of their characters as a fighter. It'd bring life back to what was a pretty good series and get a bunch of new comers interested in it again.

You know what I think? Now that King K. Rool has been revealed from Smash, I think in the next Donkey Kong Country game it'll star him as the main antagonist in either a new or a remake of the 3 original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy games. Just like Crash and Spyro did.

I wouldn't mind seeing a DKC Trilogy Analogy. :)

The director of Smash 5 told us from the previous Direct that there's going to be some more character reveals before its release. And alpharadtv pointed out that most of the new characters we know so far had their Mii DLC Costumes in Smash 4. Odds are those who previously didn't make the cut as full-fledged/echo playable character could possibly appear in the Switch installment.

Here's a quick and dirty list of hinted characters:

• Isabelle
  • K.K. Slider
  • Toad (Super Mario Bros.)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn)
  • Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  • Dunban (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  • Mega Man X
  • Mega Man.EXE
  • Proto Man (Mega Man)
  • Zero (Mega Man X)
  • Heihachi (Tekken)
  • Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
  • Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
  • Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
  • Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

Source: https://twitter.com/alpharadtv/status/1027237378233180160

The director of Smash 5 told us from the previous Direct that there's going to be some more character reveals before its release. And alpharadtv pointed out that most of the new characters we know so far had their Mii DLC Costumes in Smash 4. Odds are those who previously didn't make the cut as full-fledged/echo playable character could possibly appear in the Switch installment.

Here's a quick and dirty list of hinted characters:

• Isabelle
  • K.K. Slider
  • Toad (Super Mario Bros.)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn)
  • Viridi (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
  • Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  • Dunban (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  • Mega Man X
  • Mega Man.EXE
  • Proto Man (Mega Man)
  • Zero (Mega Man X)
  • Heihachi (Tekken)
  • Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
  • Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
  • Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
  • Chocobo (Final Fantasy)

Source: https://twitter.com/alpharadtv/status/1027237378233180160

-K.K. will still be a background character in Smashville and Town & City.
-Toad is still a part of Peach's (and now Daisy's) moveset. And for those thinking Captain Toad can get in instead, he was shown in the background of New Donk City so rip him.
-Ashley is an assist trophy.
-Viridi is still in the background for Reset Bomb Forest.
-Dunban is still in Shulk's final smash.
-Zero is an assistant trophy.

But the rest are possible!

Another fun idea going around Twitter is that the Sandbag hasn't been shown off yet anywhere. We could possibly get the sandbag as a playable character, as ridiculous as that sounds. New main tbh

-Toad is still a part of Peach's (and now Daisy's) moveset. And for those thinking Captain Toad can get in instead, he was shown in the background of New Donk City so rip him.

Another fun idea going around Twitter is that the Sandbag hasn't been shown off yet anywhere. We could possibly get the sandbag as a playable character, as ridiculous as that sounds. New main tbh

The sandbag idea sounds great, LOL! Just imagine jumping around the stage as a sandbag, taking people’s attacks, and then having a final smash where you return all the damage taken. That would be hilarious, xD

Actually Captain Toad and Viridi are still possible, there's Toon Link in Smash 3DS where many thought he was removed but it ended with someone else replacing him when he went into battle, so yeah there's still a possibility in seeing them. (Although Captain Toad's lack of jumping in his games regardless makes his chances rather low.)

Takamaru has also been confirmed as an Assist Trophy.

Have they announced anything regarding smash online? Like if there are plans to battle the horrible lag on smash 4. Cause 2 min games crawled to 5 or more minutes. And a lot of times my game would say it's looking for a match and would just kick me completely with a 'can't find server' screen. I just don't want to pay an online fee for that sort of aggravation again.

Have they announced anything regarding smash online? Like if there are plans to battle the horrible lag on smash 4. Cause 2 min games crawled to 5 or more minutes. And a lot of times my game would say it's looking for a match and would just kick me completely with a 'can't find server' screen. I just don't want to pay an online fee for that sort of aggravation again.

Yeah, that’s my main concern for this game. Whether the paid online subscription makes the online games run smooth or not. If it still kicks you out and takes awhile for matches to be done, I’m not sure if I’ll be picking up the game in that case.

Honestly, regardless of whether the online's good or not, I'll probably still pick up Ultimate regardless. However, the online is a big concern of mine as well. The online in Smash has been bad since Brawl, and to see it stay bad for the third entry in a row (if you count Smash 3DS and Wii U as essentially the same game), that would be pretty crappy. I'm more of a Wi-Fi Warrior than anything, and I've always loved just doing sessions of For Glory for hours with the character of my choice, but searching for a match only to not connect multiple times then finally getting into a match but the match is cancelled right away due to a bad connection is not a fun scenario at all.

Also, back on the topic of characters who haven't been confirmed to be Assist Trophies and could potentially be playable, I really want to see Isabelle as an Echo of Villager. I've always been a fan of Isabelle and I'd probably even consider putting her on my roster of characters I play often. Plus it'd be funny since you'd now have a scenario where a character as innocent as Isabelle could be going up against characters like freaking Ridley or Snake.

I know a ton of people on smash love the for glory 1 on 1 thing, but that isn't my cup of tea. You can easily find a match on 1 vs 1 so quickly. I kind of like glory/for fun free for all and team battles. I don't know, it's how I played all the other installments with my friends and its how I do it now.

With that said, it's harder to get a game started on those modes as opposed to 1 vs 1. Sometimes when you select the mode, it just does an endless black loading screen before promptly kicking you with 'can't find any game bs' which is a load. That needs to be fixed, because it's not the user's fault, it's the servers. (No one's paying $20 online for that when they had to endure it for free on Smash 4)

When I do get into a mode, you have to wait for four people to join (for team) or for the timer to finally reach a minute. If someone enters into the mode the timer resets back to a minute which prompts the other people who were waiting to leave if the new entry is too slow to hit start or leaves right away (troll or indecisive?) It's honestly annoying is what it is. This needs to be addressed to somehow. Maybe if half of the group wants to just start the match they have the option to select some confirmation on screen to opt out of waiting for another possible entry or troll.

Lastly when the game finally does start, you sometimes get a loading screen of death which then promptly kicks you to the main menu or the game lags to a crawl. This to needs to be addressed somehow. I know I have blocked people who I've played with who had godawful connections and later on I still somehow managed to play a laggy game with them. What is blocking for exactly then?

No one finds a laggy five minute match as fun, especially when it was supposed to be two minutes. Doesn't help if you bail from the match you get a 10 to 20 minute penalty. I understand why they do that, but it shouldn't be the players fault that they don't want to play a excruciatingly laggy match.

When you join a match the ping for a user's internet should be shown. And it will be colored green, yellow, and red for when it's absolute crap. So if you see red, just get out of there.

I mean these are just ideas that come to my mind and I'm not even in charge of Nintendo/Smash. It can't possibly be that hard...

I have a feeling it will be better, although perhaps not fixed all the way. We will see.

Also, I’m not much of a 1v1 or “for glory” person either. With all the new characters in this game, it’s going to be interesting to see all the new “free for all” combinations play out.

I've never really been a huge fan of FFAs unless I'm playing with my friends. I would much rather do 1v1s since I am a sweaty tryhard, and outside of playing with friends, I pretty much exclusively play 1v1. 1v1 For Glory is built better than FFA/Team For Glory anyway, and they actually have the mode I want to play enabled (Stocks).

I've never really been a huge fan of FFAs unless I'm playing with my friends. I would much rather do 1v1s since I am a sweaty tryhard, and outside of playing with friends, I pretty much exclusively play 1v1. 1v1 For Glory is built better than FFA/Team For Glory anyway, and they actually have the mode I want to play enabled (Stocks).

Huh, I didn’t know stocks were enabled in 1v1 For Glory. I may try it out again then and see. :)

I might as well predict any Smash Trailers here. Sooooo...
---
In a forest, Villager is out catching bugs, when a rain of arrows start to embark upon him. Villager tries to run, and is almost successful, but one last arrow hits him square on the noggin, freezing him in place. Out comes some laughter, which sounds a bit like "Nya Ha Ha!" is heard. Villager fears the worst, as another arrow starts its aim on Villager, with the intent on finishing him off, when out comes a white beam of light, vaporizing the arrow. The owner of the beam soon leaps from the sky, and wipes some 'sweat' off its brow, revealing... Geno! The owner of the arrows is Bowyer, and being annoyed at Geno protecting his target, the two square off against each other...

Bonus points if afterwards, Villager is dragged back to Town Hall by Geno, he explains what happened to Isabelle, and she decides to join in the fight. ^^

Last edited:
I had a dream last night that captain Toad was put into smash. The trailer had to do with donkey long and diddy and mine carts. Lol but I highly doubt he is in it

Back