The "I learned something new today!" Thread

TIL that, at one point, the admins here decided that people would have to pay TBT bells to use invisible mode on here. and some users actually defended the decision. I don't mean to judge staff but that was really dumb and I'm glad that they don't charge us for it now. just let people be invisible if they want.

Well I learned that if you have Xfinity if you plan on moving to a new address make sure you get in touch with Xfinity to see if the area is servicable with Xfinity because if it isn't you cannot use their service there, which means you'll be forced to switch to a different provider. Just learned about this right now.

TIL that giraffes are extant in only about 16 out of the 52 countries in Africa.

also the Masai Giraffe has a really cool spot pattern hehehe
1619px-014-giraffe-in-the-serengeti-national-park-photo-by-giles-laurentjpg.webp

A few days ago, I learned in history that for most of human history, water was unsafe to drink. It was only a couple of centuries ago that it became safe. So before that, people put alcohol in the water to kill all of the bacteria. That meant that everyone had to drink beer, but there wasn’t enough alcohol in it to get you drunk.

It seems that selling your home is not as simple as it is. These are things I wish I learned before moving out that I just now learned:

You need to a Realtor. You need to pay money to hire a moving company.You need to get a dumpster to throw away stuff you do not want.You also need to sign a lot of papers agreeing to the selling and of course getting ownership of the new home you are moving too.

I really wished it was simple but I learned the hard way. So please remember this if you're thinking about moving out 😕

Last edited:
A lot people leave plastic pink flamingos on Divine’s grave. (For those who don’t know, the drag queen Divine was John Waters’ muse and favorite actor. She also inspired Ursula’s appearance in Disney’s Little Mermaid movie.) in honor of her movie “Pink Flamingos.”
1725761307880.jpeg

I found this by total accident yesterday. I saw a post on Instagram of a Mongolian girl herding reindeer and one comment joked about Santa being Mongolian. Chuckling as I pictured some of my favorite Mongolian sumo wrestlers (Hakuho, Terunofuji, etc.) dressed as Santa, I Googled “Mongolian Santa Claus” and discovered a new language!

Back