• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The Unpopular Opinions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not okay to force a label on someone, but if someone wants to put a label on themselves then they should be allowed to. also some people don't choose their labels, as convenient as it would be to just "stop labeling [themselves]".
My only issue with labels is that people try so hard to fit different labels. Yeah, labels are adjectives to describe you as a person but the problem comes when people say they can’t do certain things or be a certain way because they are supposed to be “this label.” I think labels are good, though. They help people understand themselves and others better. I don’t use labels personally because they change and you don’t necessarily have to stick to one label. I used to struggle with whether I was lesbian, pan, or something else entirely. I came to the point where I stopped trying to find a label and just be myself. If I like someone, I like them. So when people ask, I just say I’m me. 🙃 It’s better than thinking “oh I can’t be lesbian because I think this guy is attractive” or something.

People need to stop self-diagnosing themselves with various mental illnesses. It's dangerous at worst and outright stupid at best. If you suspect you're mentally unwell, go see a doctor ASAP because what you need is to be referred to a psychiatrist to determine the problem and a mental health team to assist you into getting back to a stable enough level that you can at least somewhat function in society. I say this both as someone who is on meds for life for my mental health conditions and someone who worked in mental health for 5 years. Too many people are self-diagnosing and sometimes they're self-diagnosing illnesses they don't have, or alarmingly, don't even exist in the way they're trying to tell you it does.

If you are genuinely mentally ill, you cannot get better on your own. You need therapy and medication, which you are responsible for doing/taking. If you can't even manage that, then you need to be under far stricter care to ensure you do take the meds and do the tasks required to get to a functional level. But if you're functional enough not to need round the clock care/supervision, then you are responsible for yourself and your recovery, part of which is forcing yourself to therapy even when you don't want to go and it uses up all your energy plus taking meds.

If you haven't been prescribed meds then that's either because the doctor didn't feel this was more than an environmental/temporary bout of poor mental health that pretty much everyone gets, or you haven't actually been diagnosed with anything. If that seems wrong, then go back to them and explain why. But people with actual long term severe mental health issues cannot get better without meds and therapy, that's just a fact. You have to be willing to put in the effort to aid your recovery though, or it will never change.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. But as someone who has seen both sides of psychiatric care, I'm becoming increasingly tired of seeing people self-disgnose issues they clearly don't have or trying to use issues as an excuse not to do anything beyond eating and gaming, which isn't what severe mental health looks like at all. I sympathise with any struggles, it's been a funny couple of years, but I'm also firm in my belief that you have to WANT to get better to achieve that and severely mentally ill people don't really know either way.

I instantly click off any Youtube video that does memes every 5 seconds, It's annoying and it's worse when they're talking about something serious.

Similarly but not similarly to the above post, I always click off videos of people ask you to subscribe before they even get into the video. Why would I subscribe if this is the first video I click on and I’ve yet to see the content? Give me a minute to discover if I enjoy your content or not. Don’t ask me within the first ten seconds to subscribe and click the notifications bell. It’s a MAJOR turn off.

Last edited:
idc about being on medication for the rest of my life. even my doctor is like "well, the end goal is to get off medication eventually" and i mean Yeah Probably Would Be Great if my brain wasn't hardwired to be suicidal but here we are and i'm not getting off meds (probably) Ever unless i want to self destruct. i get that medication is not for everyone but i mention i'm on meds and someone will be like "wow i tried once and i could neverrrr keep taking them, they changed my personality!!!!! u lose ur sparkle on antidepressants/antipsychotics/psychiatric medication. doctors just want to throw medication at you when you don't need it". i'm not interested in my "true personality" if that's who i was before antipsychotics. like u do u besties but i'll keep my stable brain, weight gain and life. thx

there's such a huge push against psychiatric medication especially online and i get that many people aren't helped by it. but to write them off and tell people not to take them because they "don't help" is harmful. i was on meds for years before i found something that worked. i'm still finding my correct dosage and combination. but if i never took these pills i'd be dead. so i can NOT relate to anyone who's like "anyways psychiatric medication sucks lol don't bother"

People need to stop self-diagnosing themselves with various mental illnesses. It's dangerous at worst and outright stupid at best. If you suspect you're mentally unwell, go see a doctor ASAP because what you need is to be referred to a psychiatrist to determine the problem and a mental health team to assist you into getting back to a stable enough level that you can at least somewhat function in society. I say this both as someone who is on meds for life for my mental health conditions and someone who worked in mental health for 5 years. Too many people are self-diagnosing and sometimes they're self-diagnosing illnesses they don't have, or alarmingly, don't even exist in the way they're trying to tell you it does.

-snip-

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. But as someone who has seen both sides of psychiatric care, I'm becoming increasingly tired of seeing people self-disgnose issues they clearly don't have or trying to use issues as an excuse not to do anything beyond eating and gaming, which isn't what severe mental health looks like at all. I sympathise with any struggles, it's been a funny couple of years, but I'm also firm in my belief that you have to WANT to get better to achieve that and severely mentally ill people don't really know either way.
100% this, no matter what they are trying to self-diagnose. There are healthcare professions for reasons and I see way too many think it's okay to either do it to themselves or just tell others what they are/have etc.

And yeah I agree with the gaming/eating stuff, sure it might be a (bad/good) way to cope but then you also need help identifying things as well so you don't use it as an excuse.

Yeah, exactly. I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was younger BY A PHYSICIAN. I’ve been on an antipsychotic for most of my life, and even though I’ve come down on the dosage, I can’t get rid of it completely. If I do, my mood will spiral downwards into oblivion. I remember what it was like when I had a freak out episode when I was a kid because I had stopped taking it for too long. I don’t even want to think about what would happen if that happened to me as an adult. It wouldn’t be pretty…

Yeah, exactly. I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was younger BY A PHYSICIAN. I’ve been on an antipsychotic for most of my life, and even though I’ve come down on the dosage, I can’t get rid of it completely. If I do, my mood will spiral downwards into oblivion. I remember what it was like when I had a freak out episode when I was a kid because I had stopped taking it for too long. I don’t even want to think about what would happen if that happened to me as an adult. It wouldn’t be pretty…
Yeah I got my Asperger's from a shrink and dr. as well and while I don't need meds as of now and I got it rather late I'd never even think of getting meds or a diagnosis by myself.
Post automatically merged:

I’m so sick of only seeing high rise or mom or boyfriend jeans and crop tops in clothing stores. I know it’s the fashion right now but I mean some of us just want to dress comfortable and normal but also be cute!
This, they are very uncomfy and I don't get cropped shirts with long sleeves either like what the **** lol. I do like high waist if it's like 70s style flares but that's it.

Also I don't really get why people like to watch snooker, it's basically two random dudes chasing after balls but x10 dragging to watch..which is a lot of sports but really watching two penguins walking around for hours why lol.

This, they are very uncomfy and I don't get cropped shirts with long sleeves either like what the **** lol. I do like high waist if it's like 70s style flares but that's it.
Yeah. It’s either too cold for a crop top or too warm for long sleeves… just pick one, lmao. I see this more often than I’d like, honestly.

About sports fashion, which was mentioned more than a few posts back, I think it really depends? I only wear track pants and I guess my clothes are considered sports fashion. It can look nice depending on how you wear it. It’s more just comfort for me. I think anything can look good or bad depending on how you present it.

Yeah. It’s either too cold for a crop top or too warm for long sleeves… just pick one, lmao. I see this more often than I’d like, honestly.

About sports fashion, which was mentioned more than a few posts back, I think it really depends? I only wear track pants and I guess my clothes are considered sports fashion. It can look nice depending on how you wear it. It’s more just comfort for me. I think anything can look good or bad depending on how you present it.
Yeah, I do have like a top with large bell sleeves you tie under your chest but it's definitely only for summer, but yeah I don't get like year-round/winter stuff that are cropped like wtf lol why do you want to be cold around your waist?
-

Yeah I don't like lazy/sports clothes in general so I guess that's why. People can wear what they want but I'd never go out in that, but then I don't really own a pair so, shrug.

I honestly prefer slushies over milkshakes. Milkshakes are kind of thick and slushies are refreshing. Slushies actually quench your thirst. Milkshakes don’t really do that, especially in the summer.

Yeah I don't like lazy/sports clothes in general so I guess that's why. People can wear what they want but I'd never go out in that, but then I don't really own a pair so, shrug.
Yeah, I get that. People can dress how they want. There are some things I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing, lol.

Salted popcorn is so very superior to sweet popcorn.
I agree! I can't eat them much(since they destroy my teeth) but salted caramel and whatnot flavoured stuff is absolutely disgusting for me personally...why are those candy popcorn even a thing.
Post automatically merged:

I honestly prefer slushies over milkshakes. Milkshakes are kind of thick and slushies are refreshing. Slushies actually quench your thirst. Milkshakes don’t really do that, especially in the summer.

Yeah, I get that. People can dress how they want. There are some things I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing, lol.
Agree, the occasional milkshake with your burger is alright but it's too thick and basically taste milk anyway.

Yeah same here 😂

gonna disagree with the anti-self diagnosing post as someone who self-diagnosed my anxiety disorder(s) and depression for years before being able to get officially diagnosed with those exact illnesses by a doctor. it's not even close to being a black and white topic. i have a family that isn't/wasn't supportive or particularly interested in my well-being, and so even if i had raised my suspicions with them, they would have written it off as they still often do. (my nan repeatedly tells me i don't need medication, my mom seems to agree, and they're both convinced i'm 'fine'.) the counselors at my school were completely useless when i was bullied, so i didn't trust them, and they were also convinced i was a classic 'predatory homosexual' from age fifteen based on a homophobic teacher's accusations, so getting help through the school wasn't an option. i couldn't call the doctors myself because i had (and still have) severe anxiety re: phone calls. it wasn't until i was 18/19 that i got help and an official diagnosis when i broke down in front of my coach at the local job center and she guilted my mom into finally contacting the doctor for me at my next appointment.

i knew i wasn't right from a young-ish age. i would come home from school and have to nap because i was completely exhausted. i struggled to make friends. i was always tired. i tried to unalive myself for the first time when i was twelve. the thought of class presentations freaked me out so much i would bunk off of school for days at a time to avoid them. i didn't need a doctor to tell me something wasn't right, and i spent a lot of time looking into depression and anxiety before realizing that had to be it. i couldn't get professional help, but those labels helped me find advice online and gave me some semblance of comfort knowing there was actually something wrong, and i was right.

should you self-diagnose and never get help? no, probably not, especially if you need it. should you self-diagnose for attention or just to seem 'different'? no, obviously not. should you self-diagnose knowing full well you likely don't have x illness? no. should you self-diagnose to excuse your crappy/lazy behavior? no, although it still might be worth seeing a doctor if you feel genuinely exhausted/demotivated/etc. should you self-diagnose without doing any research? no. but should you not self-diagnose period? no. sometimes you can't get to a doctor for help immediately or even in the foreseeable future. sometimes your circumstances just don't allow that, which was my case, whether that's due to age, location, finances, family, surroundings etc. as someone who doesn't do very much beyond eating and gaming (and that's being generous, because i don't usually eat either), severe mental illness can look like that. one size does not fit all.

gonna disagree with the anti-self diagnosing post as someone who self-diagnosed my anxiety disorder(s) and depression for years before being able to get officially diagnosed with those exact illnesses by a doctor. it's not even close to being a black and white topic. i have a family that isn't/wasn't supportive or particularly interested in my well-being, and so even if i had raised my suspicions with them, they would have written it off as they still often do. (my nan repeatedly tells me i don't need medication, my mom seems to agree, and they're both convinced i'm 'fine'.) the counselors at my school were completely useless when i was bullied, so i didn't trust them, and they were also convinced i was a classic 'predatory homosexual' from age fifteen based on a homophobic teacher's accusations, so getting help through the school wasn't an option. i couldn't call the doctors myself because i had (and still have) severe anxiety re: phone calls. it wasn't until i was 18/19 that i got help and an official diagnosis when i broke down in front of my coach at the local job center and she guilted my mom into finally contacting the doctor for me at my next appointment.

i knew i wasn't right from a young-ish age. i would come home from school and have to nap because i was completely exhausted. i struggled to make friends. i was always tired. i tried to unalive myself for the first time when i was twelve. the thought of class presentations freaked me out so much i would bunk off of school for days at a time to avoid them. i didn't need a doctor to tell me something wasn't right, and i spent a lot of time looking into depression and anxiety before realizing that had to be it. i couldn't get professional help, but those labels helped me find advice online and gave me some semblance of comfort knowing there was actually something wrong, and i was right.

should you self-diagnose and never get help? no, probably not, especially if you need it. should you self-diagnose for attention or just to seem 'different'? no, obviously not. should you self-diagnose knowing full well you likely don't have x illness? no. should you self-diagnose to excuse your crappy/lazy behavior? no, although it still might be worth seeing a doctor if you feel genuinely exhausted/demotivated/etc. should you self-diagnose without doing any research? no. but should you not self-diagnose period? no. sometimes you can't get to a doctor for help immediately or even in the foreseeable future. sometimes your circumstances just don't allow that, which was my case, whether that's due to age, location, finances, family, surroundings etc. as someone who doesn't do very much beyond eating and gaming (and that's being generous, because i don't usually eat either), severe mental illness can look like that. one size does not fit all.
But what if you self diagnosed and the doctor just agreed with you, instead of sending you to get checked by the appropriate people, ie people who have studied and subsequently worked in the relevant fields? That could result in disaster, because they missed something much worse going on in there? And therefore they've not given you the right meds? They're professionals for a reason and they know more than any of us do, or ever will. We should respect that really. Of course there are shoddy professionals out there too and it's unlucky if you've encountered those types more than once, but I would still tell someone in that position to find a new doctor etc.

But what if you self diagnosed and the doctor just agreed with you, instead of sending you to get checked by the appropriate people, ie people who have studied and subsequently worked in the relevant fields? That could result in disaster, because they missed something much worse going on in there? And therefore they've not given you the right meds? They're professionals for a reason and they know more than any of us do, or ever will. We should respect that really. Of course there are shoddy professionals out there too and it's unlucky if you've encountered those types more than once, but I would still tell someone in that position to find a new doctor etc.

i hope you didn't just accuse me of not being mentally ill, because two different doctors both agreed i have the mental illnesses i suspected, and a therapist agreed after an hour's assessment to the point of putting me down for therapy. if you're convinced medical professionals are too lazy to properly assess and diagnose someone based on their own suspicions because they know their own mind and body well enough to tell when something's wrong, then that's very much a you issue and, frankly, offensive to the majority of doctors who put in the work and try their best to diagnose and help their patients. i'm not sure what part of the world you live in, but here it's not standard practice, to my knowledge, to "send you to get checked by the 'appropriate' people". a gp diagnoses you and puts you on medication and/or refers you to therapy. only failing that, and if it's available, will you be referred to a mental health team, and only if your depression is severe.

Closed because high-waisted trousers are flattering and I'm not prepared to listen to anyone badmouth them.

That was a joke. More seriously, this thread is being closed indefinitely because we feel that its usage has gone against the threads original intentions in a way that is harmful to the community. What was intended as a thread for light-hearted opinions, e.g. Immortals Fenyx Rising is better than Breath of the Wild, has instead been increasingly used to make comments that are harmful towards marginalised groups without the risk of repercussion. People also tend to avoid reporting content in this thread, instead opting to fan the flames or just sit and watch the fire burn with popcorn in hand—sweet is better than salted; fight me @Mick—rather than bringing it to our attention. This leads to debates getting out of hand before we are even aware they are happening which often results in hurt feelings, members feeling unsafe on the forum, and sometimes hours of moderation work to clean-up. Furthermore, most of the less problematic posts in this thread of late technically aren't unpopular opinions but rather are just misplaced posts that would have been better off voiced in the What's Bothering You? or Place Your Random Thoughts threads. With the closure of this thread, you are free to continue posting the type of content you would usually post here in those threads if you'd like - but keep in mind that it will be without the cushy safety net that this thread provided. Over there it won't be considered off topic for people to engage you in debate or state that they disagree with you. Oh, and you won't get forum bells for it.

This thread may return/reopen eventually. If it does it will be under much stricter rules and be more closely moderated.

P.S. go and play Immortals Fenyx Rising.
P.P.S. @Mick: no items, Fox only, Final Destination - let's go man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back