• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What are your thoughts on gifting/ gifted villagers?

Do you like gifted villagers?

• It never bothers me

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • Mostly good but on occasions its bad

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Its rarely good but some things work out well

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • I want fully original at all times

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

Moritz

Bells
Tickets
Throwback Tickets
Confetti
Tasty Cake
I'm very cautious when gifting my villagers.
Tybalt is my only villager who's not 100% original as I did some gambling and it paid off. Other villagers their house and clothes got so messed up they had to get kicked off my island.

I once got timbra move to my island as a random move in from my friends island.
They were gifted a peach hat and they looked so awful I hated her for the longest time!
But then I moved in a clean version of her and I actually really liked her. It turned out it was only because she was gifted I didn't like her.

The first time I had raymond I gave him a vampire costume and it did not look good. I ended up not liking him all that much. I let him go and later got him again but ungifted. Found he has a lot of charm when not dressed up.

I like making villagers unoriginal in theory but we have so little control I just can't risk it.

I now refuse to let the void pick my villagers for me.

How about you?

Usually I like island hopping to find villagers or use amiibos so its something I don't think about. I'll occasionally take villagers off my friends hands tho

Eh, it doesnt really matter to me, it's the villager that matters more then its items. If anything getting a gifted villager is more fun, cause you see what the person, before you gave them!

All mine are highly gifted, but I can really build out their character that way. So a gifted villager doesnt faise me

I don't mind gifted villagers, and I gift my villagers all the time

I've had random villagers show up from other people wearing inappropriate designs, tho, and that bothers me lol
but gifts in general don't

I don’t gift my villagers and I don’t want them gifted. Ruined houses and silly clothing really bother me. I have friends though who love to gift villagers, it’s personal choice.

I have friends though who love to gift villagers, it’s personal choice.
When I said about gifted villagers (as opposed to gifting) I was thinking more about it from the angle of having them move to your island as opposed to if others have gifted villagers.
Didn't actually cross my mind aha

I think its good fun seeing what other people have done. It's nice to see it when it works, and when the house is a mess, it's a nice reminder of why I don't do it XD

Giving my villagers gifts is one of my favorite parts of the game! I don’t care what their houses look like, so I love just giving them different bugs and fish and other things I think they’ll like. I also love giving them clothes, and I often like to pick silly fun clothes that make them stand out. The only time “gifting” didn’t work out was when I delivered a package to Friga from another villager that turned out to be a cafe uniform or something, and it didn’t look very good on her, but she LOVED it and wore it constantly until she moved out. I didn’t mind too much, though, I just imagined that she was trying to start a new fashion trend!

I am a bit wary when it comes to gifting furniture, furniture seems risky to me. But I gift out a ton of clothes since you can try them on ahead of time at Harv's island.

If I have a villager on my island that I know I won't be keeping I try to keep them original just for the possibility of passing them on later, but when it comes to villagers I'm keeping or receiving villagers from others I don't mind them having a few different outfits.

But I gift out a ton of clothes since you can try them on ahead of time at Harv's island.
I wish I had known about that when I first started the game. Raymond never would have got that vampire costume lol
Its just a shame clothes can end up on the walls of their house. Or worse, on a mannequin!

I have found so many outfits I would love to give my villagers if I knew they wouldn't display it

I used to not care back in NL, but in New Horizons sometime after I messed up Rudy’s house, I decided I liked to keep them original better. I do from time to time think I’m missing out by not giving them items to personalize their house or just gifts aside from coconuts. I have given one outfit to a few villagers and haven’t thought about giving them more.

I don't care too much, because I know I can fix it with a bit of effort if it does start to bother me. I adopted a Flora that has lots of outfits from her last island and I actually like all of those! It gives her a bit more personality.

A few days ago on a delivery quest one of the villagers tried giving Hornsby a safety vest though, and I did turn off the game when he tried that on. Some items are just too horrible. :')

I adopted Megan and Reneigh gifted. Both have their houses original but were given clothing. They both wear the clothes and don't display them, which is cool. Reneigh's clothes are all awesome. One or two of the items Megan brought with her aren't my favorites but she likes them and wears them, so it's okay.

For me, giving villagers gifts and seeing what they choose to wear each day or display in their house is part of the fun of the game and helps make each day feel a little different. One of my favorite things in the game is when a villager matches their outfit with a hat or glasses. I also like when they keep a special gift displayed in their house (like from Toy Day or their birthday).

Earlier on I was OCD about having their houses and wardrobes be perfect and it hampered my enjoyment of the game at times, so now I try to go with the flow and not let it bother me. I'm still hesitant to deliver random gifts though, haha.

I actually gave all my keeper boys noble coats and the girls Renaissance dresses. For items I try to keep it as something that would fit them. I don’t really care about authenticity with them.

I’ve only ever adopted one villager from someone, so it is hard to know for sure, but generally I feel like if it was a friend it could be fun to get a gifted villager, but otherwise I want the villager to be ungifted when I get them….

so that I can gift them myself! I love giving my villagers things, especially clothes, and I never say no to any deliveries/ requests ever. Most of them I don’t want to ruin their houses exactly, but I just like giving them fun gifts and dressing them up, and never saying no to them 😅 it seems like I do not get as attached to villagers if I don’t enjoy dressing them up, not sure why.

unfortunately, the two villagers I have right now whose houses I do really really want to ruin (because I love the villagers but hate their houses) are Weber and deena, and their houses are pretty much impossible for me to ruin/improve 😩

I actually gave all my keeper boys noble coats and the girls Renaissance dresses. For items I try to keep it as something that would fit them. I don’t really care about authenticity with them.

I did that with Colton when I had him 😅 His only gifts were either super expensive furniture or noble style clothes.

I like giving gifts to my villagers, mostly clothes. A few of them I gave to other people, but I always specify what I gifted them so they're not taken by surprise. I didn't try to find a new home for my Raymond though, since I accidentally got him to replace some of his furniture with a black bass and a cat tree 😅.

I'd say the surprise is the worst part. When I bought Diana I didn't know she was gifted, the day after she moved in she was walking around in just a towel... For 45 tbt, a heads up would've been nice. The Audie living on my previous island also had a bunch of clothes, some of which I didn't like. But sometimes it's tricky to tell , since it's possible for a villager to be originan and to randomly pick up a custom design and bring it with him.

Back