• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't even think about Groundhogs day. It's one of those holidays that's just there and not that much of a nuisance. I actually dislike most of the main holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving, ect in the sense that how Capitalism has changed them into a materialistic holiday.

With my line of work it's these kind of holidays where it's the busiest. So even if I have off for the holiday or a day or two after I'm too exhausted to really enjoy it. People chasing these rat race of holidays and stressing themselves over nothing.

Yeah, I agree on pretty much all of this. I don't even enjoy holidays anymore aside from being off from work, lol. The capitalism aspect has definitely ruined most all for me. I used to love Christmas at least, but not anymore since my mom's death day is in December.

And I also don't really even think about Groundhog day that much. Like yeah it's there, but it's like, I don't really care???

---

Anyway, came here to say that it's annoying AF when people say, "fine. you win." I win WHAT? Arguments aren't about winning or at least they shouldn't be, it's supposed to be about understanding the other person's point of view better. Save that crap for debate class.

Yeah, I agree on pretty much all of this. I don't even enjoy holidays anymore aside from being off from work, lol. The capitalism aspect has definitely ruined most all for me. I used to love Christmas at least, but not anymore since my mom's death day is in December.

And I also don't really even think about Groundhog day that much. Like yeah it's there, but it's like, I don't really care???

---

Anyway, came here to say that it's annoying AF when people say, "fine. you win." I win WHAT? Arguments aren't about winning or at least they shouldn't be, it's supposed to be about understanding the other person's point of view better. Save that crap for debate class.
You won a lifetime supply of Nickelodeon putty.

If you have to do overtime at your job in order to make more money, you should just get a better paying job instead.

i don’t like cereal in general but cinnamon toast crunch is ESPECIALLY gross.

If you have to do overtime at your job in order to make more money, you should just get a better paying job instead.
There's always extenuating circumstances for people when it comes to their jobs. A single mother of 3 struggling to make ends meet doesn't always have the luxury of simply getting a better-paying job. Especially taking into account where a person lives or if they don't have anyone else to support them/fall back on

Wearing flags all the time (outside of a specific event) just makes a person appear hostile. Because 99% of the time it's for a political reason, even if it's not intended to be. And we can't achieve peace this way.

There's always extenuating circumstances for people when it comes to their jobs. A single mother of 3 struggling to make ends meet doesn't always have the luxury of simply getting a better-paying job. Especially taking into account where a person lives or if they don't have anyone else to support them/fall back on
it's also just needlessly difficult to get a job nowadays. let's just assume for a minute that everyone is in a stable home with no financial, mental, or physical disabilities. applicants for just about anything need years of experience to be considered, but you can't get experience if you can't get the job, so job searching is an endless vicious cycle. you also need the most flexible hours to be a top applicant which means little to no outside responsibilities. you're also competing with tens to hundreds of other applicants depending on the company/job you're applying to. to tell anyone to "just get a better job" is ignorant and privileged.

Wearing flags all the time (outside of a specific event) just makes a person appear hostile. Because 99% of the time it's for a political reason, even if it's not intended to be. And we can't achieve peace this way.
which flags would this be? i don't really see people wearing flags here so i'm just wondering what this means

Don't hate me for this one, but PARENTS ARE BAD AT THEIR JOBS. I am a high school freshman, and on my bus ride home or to therapy (therapy on thursdays), I always, and I mean ALWAYS, see at least ONE elementary schooler with a phone, and hear MULTIPLE swear words thrown around by elementary kids. The job of a parent is to protect children from inappropriate stuff (i.e. social media and swears). Yet, I hear and see so many kids, some as young as KINDERGARTEN, dropping F-bombs and using phones. WHY. The parents don't even reprimand these kids, as they do it DAILY. (the teachers don't stop it either, but they at least try). If you are a parent and you read this, I am not attacking you, I am just speaking my opinion based on my experiences after school.

which flags would this be? i don't really see people wearing flags here so i'm just wondering what this means
I’m going to assume by ‘wearing a flag’ she didn’t mean draping an entire flag around themselves as a cloak. I suspect it means badges and the like in the form of flags?

Here's my biggest unpopular/ controversial opinion.
I don't get the appeal of the Apollo and Whitney romance, I know it's from that AC movie. It's just so meh to me. Not to mention it felt forced ....at least to me.

Last edited:
So you don’t see people wearing badges where you are? I see flags for both sides of a current overseas conflict being worn here quite a lot.
nope, the only flags i sometimes see are pride flags or sports team flags.

i've seen maybe one palestinian flag around my school and it isn't calling for hostility at all, it's supporting a group of people who have lost their home and been violently oppressed for over 50 years.

nope, the only flags i sometimes see are pride flags or sports team flags.

i've seen maybe one palestinian flag around my school and it isn't calling for hostility at all, it's supporting a group of people who have lost their home and been violently oppressed for over 50 years.

Well interestingly you've just declared your own opinion on the conflict simply by describing your interpretation of why someone was wearing a flag - so I can see how flag-wearing can become political and why in some circumstances it could lead to trouble, rows and maybe even a fight. I'm going with Goldie's 'unpopular oppinion' -no more flags on bags or jackets!

I don’t see pride flags as political, and the people who do likely lean very far right and assuming it’s being shoved down their throats. The LGBT+ community are more likely to lean left, but that’s nothing to do with the identity. There are definitely cis-straight people leaning left. If anyone’s assuming any flag is political it’s most likely the right and it’s based on their own interpretation. They are using not necessarily political flags as a political statement (ie: confederate flag or the blue line police flag). As @/seliph said, that seems like a you problem and not the flag wearer’s problem.

Don't hate me for this one, but PARENTS ARE BAD AT THEIR JOBS. I am a high school freshman, and on my bus ride home or to therapy (therapy on thursdays), I always, and I mean ALWAYS, see at least ONE elementary schooler with a phone, and hear MULTIPLE swear words thrown around by elementary kids. The job of a parent is to protect children from inappropriate stuff (i.e. social media and swears). Yet, I hear and see so many kids, some as young as KINDERGARTEN, dropping F-bombs and using phones. WHY. The parents don't even reprimand these kids, as they do it DAILY. (the teachers don't stop it either, but they at least try). If you are a parent and you read this, I am not attacking you, I am just speaking my opinion based on my experiences after school.
I think it's always a good point to remember that there is no guide to parenting - they will make mistakes but are usually just trying their best and doing what they think is best for their kids. Transitioning, though, to your point about phones, I do agree. I think kids are being started on electronic devices, at least devices in which they can access various social platforms, far too early. My guess in these behaviors the kids display are learned through these platforms (and then each other) as opposed to from the parents. Perhaps many parents could take additional steps to limit their children from their access to social media and other multimedia platforms, but we also live in an age where technology is becoming far more prominent and integral. Kids often start using electronic devices like Chromebooks or iPads as early as a kindergarten/First Grade (at least in the U.S.), thus honing their "device-using skills". Especially as newer parents and current younger adults begin to have kids, this is one of the first generations of parents who had "earlier" access to technology. It would make sense, then, that technology would be more accessible in the homes of these kids. Whether the parents do or do not know what the kid is accessing, it is likely that the child's knowledge and technology ability is aided by more than just the what the parent showed them/knows. It's also pertinent to understand that as technology becomes more prominent in the lives of the younger generation, more and more will start to have personal access to devices due to changing societal norms. As I previously mentioned, pretty much every parent wants to be a "good parent" and this often includes doing your best to ensure your children will "fit in" (please note I'm not in any way referring to or condoning efforts to change the core beliefs or identity of said child). In a material sense, this encompasses providing your child with what everyone else may like or have, such as a phone. Especially in an age where communication has vastly shifted to a digital medium, these devices may serve as a tool to fit in, stay connected, and make/maintain friendships. In this sense, I think it's less of an argument on "bad parenting" and one of more on changing societal and technological norms, and whether the benefits outweigh the costs (especially pertaining to those of a younger age).

I do agree with you though. I think early exposure to technology is important, especially in a technologically driven society, but to an extent. Given the many negative (increasing) impacts social media is seen to have on society today, I think it is important to shield younger-aged children from it. In fact, I think it's important to limit use as an adult too, but that is a personal choice each person must make for themselves. The increasing use of social media and communication platforms, especially pertaining to younger children whereas that of physical communication could greatly impact the future generations' communication capabilities. Grade school is an extremely formative time of our lives. Replacing physical communication with that of a digital variety deprives us of the ability to hone our interpersonal communication skills, which do come in quite useful later in life. Additionally, increased exposure to various online platforms not only exposes kids to indecent language which they likely don't understand the implications of yet, but also various other forms of harmful information: harmful self-images, stereotypes, misinformation, etc.. Not yet possessing the critical thinking skills to process right from wrong, true from false, these media platforms could serve an early dose of harmful information to kids.

Perhaps parents could do more to limit their kids' access to these sites, as well as social media companies being more stringent on age restrictions and content. And/or, perhaps, we as a society need to move the emphasis away from online presence and instead focus on more in-person connections.

I am a parent and I appreciate how you see things. I didn’t parent the way you described. You only see a snapshot of life on school transport. I am a dinosaur and hate kids swearing and my son didn’t have a phone until he was 12.

I am not attacked by you. Parents hopefully do the best they can. I know some don’t. High school is a nightmare for a lot of kids. My son was badly bullied so I do agree.

Full disclosure, single parent, grown up child at university. Some parents take “their job” seriously.

I would say that flags are political, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Using pride flags as an example since that was mentioned, there are a ton of anti-LGBT laws being passed throughout the world right now and in general the basic rights of the LGBTQ+ community have been up for debate throughout history, so whether you want it to be the case or not, displaying a pride flag is a sign of support for queer people and resistance against structural oppression, something which is inherently political.

Also, I think that people who are oppressed (and those who support them) are allowed to be angry and resist oppression, and placing too much focus on politeness and 'peacefulness' is a tactic aimed at maintaining the status quo and preventing any positive change from happening. This goes for Palestine too, and for any other minority group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back