• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
item worth in games with trading (animal jam especially) should not exist. This drives people to scam because of the innate desire known as I WANT PIXELS.

Not sure if this counts as a controversial/unpopular opinion, but In Star Wars Episode II, Anakin’s revenge against the Tusken Raiders is absolutely justified, despite the Jedi Code forbidding revenge.

Going to the beach sucks. 🏖👎 The sun is hot, the sand is hot, sand gets all over your belongings and towel, there's dozens of other beach-goers crowding around you, it's loud, you smell afterwards, the bathroom facilities there are gross, need I go on? 😂 What am I supposed to do at the beach? 🤷‍♀️ If I want to read a book or play games, I can do that at home or a more serene outdoor setting like a park or lake. 🌲⛲ Perhaps beaches are more appreciated by children and people who like volleyball or surfing. 🏐

Going to the beach sucks. 🏖👎 The sun is hot, the sand is hot, sand gets all over your belongings and towel, there's dozens of other beach-goers crowding around you, it's loud, you smell afterwards, the bathroom facilities there are gross, need I go on? 😂 What am I supposed to do at the beach? 🤷‍♀️ If I want to read a book or play games, I can do that at home or a more serene outdoor setting like a park or lake. 🌲⛲ Perhaps beaches are more appreciated by children and people who like volleyball or surfing. 🏐
lol I don't know if it was intentional, but your post right after Alolan's is ironic and funny.

58648a8f7bd67.jpeg

I prefer swimming pools, but I loved experiencing the ocean as a kid…even though I got sand in my toes lol.

Character customization... I get the appeal, but does it really need to be in every damn game? 😂 it didn't need to be in Pikmin 4, Nintendo. I wanted to play as an actual Captain with a name, with hopes and dreams and a personality or something, not a generic NPC type. If anything, Oatchi should have been the main character. After all, he is a good boy 🥲🐶🌱 every other game you would control a Captain, but this could have been the wacky, silly fun game where you are a chubbo doggo pack leader rather than a human-type alien person...thing lol
It's a cool feature and all, but some games go way over the top with the amount of stuff you can tweak. And I just want to play the game lol. I don't want to spend 20+ minutes messing with all the crazy features. Some of which the slider barely does anything anyway.

What's a sitcom you do find funny, for comparison?
To be honest, I don't watch many sitcoms to begin with, and I've sort of grown out of most of the ones I did used to watch. The only two I still like that come to mind are older ones (as in, before my own time) - specifically Red Dwarf and Only Fools and Horses. Aside from having a few jokes that are, uh... dated, I find the humour in both of them to be solid.

I would chalk it up to the differences between American and British humour - but again, a lot of the people I meet like Friends, so it's probably just personal preference ^^;

To be honest, I don't watch many sitcoms to begin with, and I've sort of grown out of most of the ones I did used to watch. The only two I still like that come to mind are older ones (as in, before my own time) - specifically Red Dwarf and Only Fools and Horses. Aside from having a few jokes that are, uh... dated, I find the humour in both of them to be solid.

I would chalk it up to the differences between American and British humour - but again, a lot of the people I meet like Friends, so it's probably just personal preference ^^;
Only Fools and Horses is my dad's fave. Probably because it's based on his people.

As for an unpopular/controversial opinion (or not, depending on how you look at it and who you ask), I like Konstantin Kisin and think he's right to point out that all of us who live in the first world are privileged.

Okay yes, OFAH and Red Dwarf are both very well written sitcoms. I think Friends is too, but it's absolutely a very different style of comedy to them. I get you.

I think it’s OK to bring back old/inactive threads as long as what is being said upon bringing it back is relevant to the topic.

Of course, I’m only talking about discussion threads. It is obviously extremely pointless to try to bring back…let’s say…an art shop thread or a villager adoption thread that has been abandoned.

Marge vs. the Monorail is not the best episode of The Simpsons. It is not one of the best episodes, in fact, I don’t even think it’s the best of the season. I held this viewpoint even when I first watched it and didn’t even know it was so popular. It’s good, but not that good. The episode would be in the lower half of the list if I were ranking every episode of the season, but that’s not a bad thing, because I think most of the season is good, except maybe Last Exit to Springfield.

The best episode of season four, instead, goes to either Lisa’s First Word or I Love Lisa.

Just because you like a problematic fictional character doesn't mean you would necessarily support their actions/behaviors in real life. The characters you like are not a reflection on you as a person.
For real, some of the stuff I see online has me deeply concerned for the state of media literacy right now. I like battle anime; that doesn't mean I want to see real-life gladiatorial death matches. And I'll add that, even when a character is one of the good guys, it doesn't mean they're meant to be a role model, or that everything they do is what the writer thinks is correct.

Disclaimer: let me make this clear: I do not like TikTok. At all. But there’s one thing I can say in defense of it. Parents need to stop blaming TikTok and social media in general for their kids’ behavior. Sure, social media may have something to do with it, but you can always, I don’t know, set a screen time limit. Block certain apps. There’s a lot more and way more effective solutions than just blaming social media. This has happened with basically anything that kids like doing, like playing video games or watching TV, but social media is a more recent example. It’s just like the South Park movie. Some parents will blame anything else than just being a better parent.

Let me re-iterate, I don’t like TikTok, but I just think this is ridiculous.

For real, some of the stuff I see online has me deeply concerned for the state of media literacy right now. I like battle anime; that doesn't mean I want to see real-life gladiatorial death matches. And I'll add that, even when a character is one of the good guys, it doesn't mean they're meant to be a role model, or that everything they do is what the writer thinks is correct.
Some characters make for a good scene, but you would never want to be in their presence because they could be super annoying to be around. Which is what makes them so good for the show. They're not annoying in a bad way. They're annoying in a way that makes the show funny and entertaining at some other person's expense or their own.

Disclaimer: let me make this clear: I do not like TikTok. At all. But there’s one thing I can say in defense of it. Parents need to stop blaming TikTok and social media in general for their kids’ behavior. Sure, social media may have something to do with it, but you can always, I don’t know, set a screen time limit. Block certain apps. There’s a lot more and way more effective solutions than just blaming social media. This has happened with basically anything that kids like doing, like playing video games or watching TV, but social media is a more recent example. It’s just like the South Park movie. Some parents will blame anything else than just being a better parent.

You need to be 13 to use most social media. That should say enough about how toddlers and little kids shouldn't be on those sites. If you let the internet raise your kid instead of you putting in the work like you should, don't be surprised when that goes haywire.

I remember about a year or so ago seeing some random clip of a baby crying as they were asleep and making the motion as if they were using their tablet. While this could be staged, it's still an issue. Kid's are impressionable and many are being raised by social media and not their parents.

I personally also hate how people let social media and phones take precedence over everything. I don't know what it is. Addiction, fear of missing out? Whatever it is I hate if I'm in a conversation with someone and they get a notification from their phone now that has to take priority. I'm not talking about an emergency or something. Just stupid notifications for random messages.

Or if someone can't get off of their phone when they are out with people. Get off of your stupid phone if we're together or with a group at some restaurant or whatever. So many people let this dumb device rule their lives. I'm probably an outlier with this because I don't really have a good phone. Still have a flip-phone. But I still think it's dumb to let a phone control your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back