• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Which villagers are LGBT+?

I really don’t see villagers as having set sexualities, but I think that Julian and Marshal are definitely gay. I ship Audie x Whitney, but I’ve never read Flick and CJ as a gay couple. I interpreted “partners” as business partners my first time playing and was surprised so many people shipped them.

Also in the Japanese version, Saharah and Gracie are both effeminate men. So I guess you can interpret them to be canonly gay as well
Post automatically merged:

Tbh, I kinda get this as well since a lot of shippers annoy me. People really want to have my head if I say that I don’t like Flick x CJ. But ships don’t harm anyone so ‪¯\_(ツ)_/¯‬
Ah see I thought I was the only one who didn't ship Flick x CJ. I think people took the work "partners" and ran with it without even really thinking of the context. They're business partners maybe at most best friends but they're not gay lovers..that's a bit of a reach..

I think people see the LGBTQ as more "lewd" when you think about all the furry fans who like to sexualize Raymond in a maid dress and Marshal. I guess on the surface it's okay but I think when you see the nsfw fan art artist will produce for LGBTQ then I can see why it's less decent and more sexualized. In my opinion I don't see LGBTQ fitting in a game like ac. I just don't think it fits. Heck even kappn doesn't fit being an old man flirting with young girls.

I'm trying to figure out how to put this as gently as possible.

To say that LGBTQ doesn't fit in a game like AC, where we have marriage events and kangaroos with babies, is a problem. To say that it doesn't fit because people see it as more "lewd" is a problem. What does that say to all the kids who play AC who are coming to terms with their LGBTQ'ness?

If you have a game that involves relationships, it should represent the rainbow of relationships. If you have a game that involves anthropomorphized animals, it should represent the diversity of what it means to be human. Within moral and age-appropriate bounds of course.

To say that LGBTQ doesn't fit in a game like AC, where we have marriage events and kangaroos with babies, is a problem. To say that it doesn't fit because people see it as more "lewd" is a problem. What does that say to all the kids who play AC who are coming to terms with their LGBTQ'ness?

If you have a game that involves relationships, it should represent the rainbow of relationships.
I mean as a whole romance it self doesn't belong in ac games. I despise the wedding event and couldn't care less who was getting married or anything. I just say leave romance out as a whole. LGBTQ or not.

every single villager and npc is gay

also i didnt wanna get involved but as for "lgbt identities shouldn't be in ac because romance" like... it doesn't have to be a romance thing at all, gay ppl exist outside of relationships and hell yall know what the "t" stands for right??

Last edited:
I randomly came across this take on a meme with animal crossing characters on tumblr. Seemingly I'm not the only one who reads Gabi as LGBT c:

e5ae05d3a3b9989ce4df8c3d35f632763be4cb9b.png

Also guys, can we stop saying that people are "reaching"? It's just a bit of fun, no one is trying to find evidence of this stuff being Actually Canon Like Our God And Saviour Nintendo has intented they're japanese and wouldn't add anything non-cishetero anyway unless hidden in the margins. It's just harmless headcanons.

Last edited:

If you have a game that involves relationships, it should represent the rainbow of relationships. If you have a game that involves anthropomorphized animals, it should represent the diversity of what it means to be human. Within moral and age-appropriate bounds of course.
I mean as a whole romance it self doesn't belong in ac games. I despise the wedding event and couldn't care less who was getting married or anything. I just say leave romance out as a whole. LGBTQ or not.

Please let's bring the thread back to the original topic. That is which villagers you perceive to be LGBT. This is not a thread about whether or not romance or LGBT representation should be present in AC.

I get where you’re coming from, but slightly disagree about them all being asexual per the game. For example, I definitely remember Lopez showing a lot of interest in “the new girl in town” whenever a female villager moved in. The Smugs in general are pretty flirty imo, especially in NL.

Heck, I had a male character in NL and Shep was always saying suggestive stuff. They toned it down a lot in NH though. It's not like I want to bang any of them ever, though, as cute as Dobie and Ike may be. Anyway Reneigh is totally lez. Or bi. Maybe. Hope I don't get arrested for saying this.

Ah see I thought I was the only one who didn't ship Flick x CJ. I think people took the work "partners" and ran with it without even really thinking of the context. They're business partners maybe at most best friends but they're not gay lovers..that's a bit of a reach..

This I kind of agree with though. Partners can mean anything really but they do talk about commissions so it kind of implies business. But hey, you do you!

I really just get lesbian vibes from the sisterly dialogue. The first thing Plucky ever said to me made me think she's a lesbian.

Also, in NL the smugs gave me strong gay/bi vibes, and still kinda do in NH.

I don't ship villagers with each other though. If it's not official I don't acknowledge it. Just my preference.

I have Lopez and I always thought he was gay/bisexual. Olivia I think is a lesbian.

Some characters I would never headcanon anything because of how child-like they are, like Stitches or Kid Cat. Always wondered how old the villagers are
You're right about that. I've seen some people say Wade is gay. I have to strongly disagree. He's literally a baby penguin. He's not old enough to have any orientation. Leave him and his bugs alone!

Back