• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Your opinions about Raymond

I like him, but he's not my favorite.
Marshal is definitely superior to him in every way 🙃

I like that he has a theme, I like the gray/black combo and the heterochromia!
His popularity will die down drastically once an amiibo is released.

I found him w/ only 1 ticket; it was the first day of the swimming update and I wanted to go island hopping because I thought I'd get rare sea creatures! Ended up finding the most sought after villager in the game 😜

he's one of the most unique villagers out there for sure. Love his eye colours (not sure what this genetic occurrence is called) and his blond hair. Really contrasts well with his grey fur. And the fact that he's wearing smart is a bonus too

Last edited:
I think that he is cute. I like that he has a nose (which some of the cats don't) and has little fangs. And smugs are my favorite personality type.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get him and I like Hans more, but I wouldn't pass him up if I saw him either. :)

It's okay to like him despite his popularity and it's okay to not like him because of it -- us outsiders all have to establish that it is okay to be an outsider at some point in our lives by making it known that we don't like what the perceived majority like. After being bullied or ostracized for being different, how else are you supposed to feel that it is okay to be different than to express opinions that other people find contrary? But it is important to try not to do damage to other people, or else we are emulating the people who damaged us.

he was my first campsite villager on my current island and he grew on me a lot; it helps that i love the smug personality. that being said, i let him go and have marshal and julian as my smugs now because they fit my island theme better and i prefer them aesthetically. he's one of the better smugs though, imo.

i find people who love him rabidly and people who hate him rabidly equally tedious. (as in, like, love/hate whatever you want, but the performative nature of both extremes is what bugs me, if that makes sense!)

I honestly don't think anyone legitimately dislikes Raymond. Why would you, really? He just has the design of an accountant or office boy. At worse you might think he's bland but that's hardly a reason to hate the guy.

What people might actually hate, though, is the buzz surrounding him. I remember reading about someone who had been unironically told that there was no way they could appreciate Raymond for his true worth and that he should give them Raymond. Like, when you're treating an array of 0s and 1s as some sort of holy beacon that needs to be loved and respected, it just gets weird.

EmXTAgcVMAIMWxH.jpeg

Raymond reading this thread

I mean i like his Hetrochromia. But he's way too overrated for his own good.

he's a cutie. not even close to being on my list of dream villagers, but i can understand the appeal. i feel like the raymond craze overshadowed a bunch of the new villagers when it happened, though, and i’m glad it's died down a bit.

I really haven't had much interaction with him except on another villager's island, and he and I did a double take cause we both looked hipster-y lol

I love Raymond. He's got the most adorable tiny fangs and I see him going around all the time with a field guide, checking out flowers. I also think his house exterior is pretty and looks nice on a natural island. Having said all that, I've liked most of the smug villagers I've had; they're all adorable. Raymond isn't particularly special or better than the other smug guys.

He also gave me his photo super quick, which was a nice bonus.

I like Raymond because he also has the same glasses that I wear and reminds me of a cat I used to look after before! A lot of this is personal and I don’t find him as overrated anymore since I find the hype nowadays to be dead compared to back when the game first released (then again I don’t really interact with the AC community that much). I find the dislike or hatred for him a bit more vocal nowadays though.

I personally can't wait until the next version of Animal Crossing comes out with 5 more villagers all with heterochromia to ride this hype.
oh please Lord no
please i beg of you N O

I don’t have him on my island because I like Kyle better. But I kinda want him on my second island
- he’s adorable, I love cats and I love his little teeth
- he’s rare: Lolly is also adorable but I can and have bought her amiibo for peanuts on etsy, boom, Lolly. If I want Raymond it’s an achievement to find him

I think it’s fair that he’s more valuable than the old villagers. He’s desirable and you can’t get an amiibo

Ohh my boy Raymond. When I heard of him I wasn’t interested at all, given the fact that O’hare and Kyle has always been my favorite smug villagers. I started to play a couple of weeks after the game launched because my switch got delayed because of covid so I was witnessing the madness around Raymond and that made me dislike him. Then, he was my first campsite. I had to accept him but I was planning on getting read of him and giving him away to someone who wanted him for real. Turns out I love him and he is still on my island, making him the villager I had for the longest time. I don’t think I could ever replace him, he has charme and adorable features, like his blonde hair, his black tail and his two coloured eyes. Plus, he was the first villager to give me his picture. I could never part from him and the fact that I got him randomly through campiste makes him even more special.

I honestly don't think anyone legitimately dislikes Raymond. Why would you, really? He just has the design of an accountant or office boy. At worse you might think he's bland but that's hardly a reason to hate the guy.

What people might actually hate, though, is the buzz surrounding him. I remember reading about someone who had been unironically told that there was no way they could appreciate Raymond for his true worth and that he should give them Raymond. Like, when you're treating an array of 0s and 1s as some sort of holy beacon that needs to be loved and respected, it just gets weird.

With respect, while generally I agree with you, in the sense both that it is more the odd cult worship that developed over him in some circles is what causes most people to hate him. Either because they are turned off by the crazier fan antics or just don’t like to like popular things; and also the fact that my feelings about Raymond are more like a tepid ‘he’s alright’ than a strong dislike, cause his design isn’t anything particularly striking, I have one minor point to bring up.

I think it is untrue to say that no one can hate him because there is nothing bad about his design, because ultimately it is just so subjective that there will always be at least some people that just cannot stand a design. And who will not appreciate being told that they do not ‘really’ hate his design because it is objectively not hateable.

I am exaggerating the point you were making a little I think, but as someone who strongly dislikes Diana, for not entirely explainable reasons (she reminds me of this specific bleached creepy toy we have in our house - idk why) as well as Kyle and a lot of the wolves, I have read elsewhere that these designs are just So good that you can’t dislike them and it’s not like it makes me enraged or super hurt but...it irks me, like a bug burrowing under my skin.

So that got kind of long, but in short, while absolutely I like the overall point you are making and agree with you, I would just offer that one counterpoint, which is that we all have our weird aversions and there’s so many players and so many villagers that every villager has some people that are just going to really purely find them repulsive, and that is totally legitimate.

hope you get what I’m saying, really don’t want to make you feel attacked, because I appreciated reading your viewpoint a lot

He’s fine. His fangs are my favorite 🥺

I found him island hopping, but I decided to let him go bc two smugs was too many for me and I wanted to keep Marshal c:

I don’t understand what all the fuss is about really. I get not liking villagers, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a negative reaction to anyone else like this. I don’t think marshal was that bad, but maybe I just don’t remember

My opinion is who cares. I've been seeing so many posts beating Raymond up and it's kind of meh at this point. I like Raymond and his design a lot, he would've fit kinda nicely in my Asian-core island but I don't think his design vibes with the headcanons I made for all my other 9 villagers. He's really cute though.

Also hot take but saying "I respect your opinion, but why do you love a cat that can sing and wear a maid's dress when every villager can do that?" sounds borderline hurtful to the people who share this opinion. Not that I'm particularly hurt but that's probably just my understanding. I personally don't mind if people like Raymond for that aspect, or whatever reason; as you said, people have different tastes and opinions. I guess I agree that his fans are pretty wild/crazy about him but it's not like they're hurting anyone, so if it bothers you then just try not to pay attention to them.

Basically if you dislike Raymond then that's cool. But it's definitely not an unpopular opinion and at this point I'm still convinced some people think hating on a specific, overrated villager just because they're popular is somehow a personality trait.

I only have him on my island because of the hype tbh. I don't really have much of a connection with him and I'm planning on getting rid of him soon :')

Back