• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Are you still happy with...? PART 2: Your River Mouths

Where are your river mouths and would you change their position?

• Double South - I wouldn't change

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • Double South - I'd change to South & East

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Double South - I'd change to South & West

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • South & East - I wouldn't change

Votes: 73 30.9%
  • South & East - I'd change to Double South

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • South & East - I'd change to South & West

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • South & West - I wouldn't change

Votes: 66 28.0%
  • South & West - I'd change to Double South

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • South & West - I'd change to South & East

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
South and west on my island, and I like them. Neither one forced my rivers to get in the way of the things I wanted to build, like the X-shaped river surrounding my house and the forest at the middle of the island.

I'm south and west and I love my layout.

Then again, I also placed my house on the west corner right next to the river mouth (back of house faces the river mouth and part of the river) and I get the bonus of more privacy (one of the corners of my island), a beautiful view, an easy place to fish, and another corner of my island just a hop away out back...

Edit: Since people are also talking about terraforming, I'll share my thoughts on that as well.

For the most part, I started out with a map with relatively straight rivers where, to me, it mattered. Once I unlocked terraforming, straightening out my rivers wasn't too bad.

The westbound river more or less runs between my main island and the second and third level cliffs. It also makes a bit of a U shape along the way which I turned into an outdoor exercise area surrounded by trees.

The southbound river sections off my main island with Resident Services from the rest of the island that also has cliffs.

I've conveniently used the southbound river as the dividing point between the more "developed" part of the island and the "wilder" part. Essentially, you naturally get the eastern cliffs which are separate from the southern cliffs, the best fishing spots (the pier is on that side), a great view, and a lot more privacy away from the residents.

Eventually, I set aside my eastern cliffs for my second account so that I could have an area to play with outside of my main island and it works a treat.

Last edited:
I have south/east and wouldn't change them, though I did struggle with them for a while when I first started terraforming.

I have double south and I like it. I cut one of my rivers down almost completely after the second cliff, and really only have one full river now.

Neutral?

I haven't thought about this too deeply as I've always just worked with my south and east river mouths. If I could, I would adjust them to be south-south so I'm able to create a mini island or small port city, boardwalk, or little beach town near the center.

I have south and west mouths. When I first unlocked the terraforming and designing my island, I thought I had made a terrible mistake and even considered resetting because the mouths weren't working with my ideas. I changed my plans three or four times before settling on something that would work pretty well. I based my island on canal towns, with the mouths acting as a starting point and ending point for the rivers. I really love how it turned out. ❤

My river mouths are located on the southern and western parts of my island. I'm glad that they're set that way for me cause If I had both river mouth both on the south side I think that it would be too "symmetrical" for me; I like a bit of unevenness when designing my town. If I had both rivers on the south side I'm pretty sure I would've tried to make them line up more evenly and if my town ended up looking too organized i'd probably hate it and want to reset XD

I have a south & west river mouth combination! I don't think I would change it. I like the way my island is laid out for the most part and I've never really felt like my island would be better if I could change the river placement.

I have south and west river mouths and wouldn't change them. I also don't reset so I got them randomly but I'm happy with both.

The river has gone through a bunch of terraforming since then and is no longer connected, so now I have two little rivers that end in ponds.
just wanna update this - after writing this post I kind of wanted to make my rivers connect somehow so I did some terraforming and moved a villager house and now there's a tiny 1 square wide stream connecting the two 😊

My river mouths are located to the the south and east on my island. While I didn't ever re roll at the start, I would've preferred to have both my river mouths to the south, so that I can have a sort of main peninsula, with 3 bridges branching off into the deeper depths of my island. While I have used terraforming to move my rivers about before, right now my rivers aren't actually connected to each other and kind of just end pretty abruptly, since I find it kind of hard to connect the two when they're so far apart from each other. I am thinking of restarting my island though since i'm kind of stuck with my current one, and if I do, this is definitely something i'd reset for until I get a good double south river layout (unlike most other aspects of the game which don't tend to bother me too much, like native fruit and flowers).

When starting out in March, my top priority was my fruit and the RNG had it out for me that night to roll everything but.
I didn't know a thing about the river mouths, so I just went with an island that had 'a lot' of cliff area and a decent area to place my tent.
(what a mistake that was. My front yard is the fly-over, RIP. I've made it...kind of...work, though it's a very boring fly-over)
Yes, I know I can move my house/terraform, but I like the idea of keeping the island's layout mostly vanilla and keeping my house where it all began. Same with my permanent starter uchi; she's the only villager who actually got to place her own plot! :lemon:
That island is south/west and I'm perfectly happy with it!

My secondary island was founded with a very specific terraforming plan in mind, which only worked out with another south/west. Apparantly I'm a fool for south/west! 🤪

south+east for me

the placement doesn't mean much to me, given I utterly destroyed my rivers, and my current setup doesn't even flow out into the ocean

I have double south. The narrow strips on the sides are hard to work with, so I may change up my river shape in the future.

I think mine are south and east. I’m indifferent about it. I was more concerned about who my starting two villagers were.

South and west for me. I never notice my river mouths and never notice them in other towns either - so I'm happy no matter what I have. I terraformed my town around a lot of the original features anyways, so I never got to a point where I wanted to change it.

I have a south and west river mouth, but if I could I’d probably change to double south. I like how there are big stretches of beach on both sides. I now terraformed my river on my island all the way around Town Hall, so it kind of looks that my river is double south, but it’s really not. Still exits to the ocean on the west as well ;-)

My island has double south and I'm wouldn't change it at all, as I was looking specific for an island with this kind of river mouths to create the layout I was planning to make. Still works perfectly for me the way it is.

considering i reset until i got my preferred island with south + east river mouths, then yes i'm happy with them! i kinda wish i had double south because i've heard that's a little more challenging to terraform with

i have south & east and i'm happy with it! my old island had double south which was the main reason i decided to reset.

Back