• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Are you still happy with...? PART 2: Your River Mouths

Where are your river mouths and would you change their position?

• Double South - I wouldn't change

Votes: 50 21.2%
  • Double South - I'd change to South & East

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Double South - I'd change to South & West

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • South & East - I wouldn't change

Votes: 73 30.9%
  • South & East - I'd change to Double South

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • South & East - I'd change to South & West

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • South & West - I wouldn't change

Votes: 66 28.0%
  • South & West - I'd change to Double South

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • South & West - I'd change to South & East

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
I have a south and an east river mouth. I‘ve never really paid much attention to the placement of them to be honest. I did terraform my east river mouth to essentially block it off, but created a neat little nature area with cliffs in the process.

I've got south and east! my only thought going into the map was that I absolutely didn't want double south exits because I thought it'd block off my island too much, so I'm still happy with what I've got! I maybe wish my east exit was a bit lower down because its current placement leaves a quite small bit of land at the top right corner of my island but overall I'm still happy!

double south and i wouldn't change. i had a previous town with a south and west and ended up disliking it and found myself drawn to the way double south maps looked. i'm very happy with it!

I have a south and west river mouth and I like it. I have little secluded villages near each river mouth and they are my favourite areas of my island. I don’t think I could have achieved this with a double south river, which I had initially planned for until actual launch day when I changed my mind last minute.

I really like this poll series!

I have West and South, and am still fine with it.. though I gave struggled with terraforming.. though I would have the same problems with other river mouths. I just make do with what I have :')

South and West.
All I knew was that I didn’t want double south as I wanted to go for something more natural, and a symmetrical river flow wasn’t that for me.

Double-south. I wouldn't change them. I'm happy with them. There was a brief time where I felt limited in designing my island, due to the thinner strips of land along the west and east beaches. However, I enjoy dealing with the challenge a design limitation, and since then, I've dealt with those areas of land effectively, I think. Being able to terraform gives us a huge edge already, in my opinion. :)

Again, this was partly due to me not being aware of the different options for river mouth placement when I started the game.

Double south river exits was my only map requirement. I got the worst of the rest (blue airport, pears, cosmos), but I needed my symmetry.
Symmetry <3 That's what made me reconsider my initial choice of an eastern river mouth. I love island that look symmetrical!

I really enjoy where my river mouths are placed! It’s actually one of the things I considered when picking a map in the beginning. I kept resetting to find a good placement them. C:
It's a good thing we actually get map choices! I don't remember having them in older titles like Population Growing and Wild World, and thought they were a great way to save time,

Because unfortunately my map options were four south river mouths. It just seems counterintuitive that the player needs to reset to get more options when the game should give the player options upfront.
This is also true! I love the random element, but it is very time consumming! More options would be nice, or at least give us the options before asking for all the character details.

Judging by screenshots of base maps, it looks like it is impossible to have a pier on the same side as your starting area. That’s alright but I would’ve preferred to have my pier on the civilized side of Evwirt...I guess in any case it would be taken over by the spider crabs
:eek: Ooh, spider crabs! I bet they sneak around your beach when you aren't looking!

South and West. For the most part, I'm happy with it. I just wish the island was one acre wider so I could make use of my West river mouth a bit better.
I know what you mean! I wish my island was 10 acres wider sometimes... I'll take all the space I can get!

man no wonder it seemed south & east river mouths were always so hard to get lol there's way less of them!! i wonder if u were to overlap all the maps of one category together if there'd be any variance in where the river mouths are? bc it seems that just the shape of the river and placement of the town hall & stuff is different.

i would like to say thank u OP for posting those maps tho 👀 i havent seen an infographic like that and it'll definitely help my odds when i map reset.
You're welcome! You might want to check this out! It's an even more detailed analysis of all possible rivers. Hope this helps if you decide to reset!

I really like this poll series!

I have West and South, and am still fine with it.. though I gave struggled with terraforming.. though I would have the same problems with other river mouths. I just make do with what I have :')
Thank you so much! I love getting other people's point of view. Terraforming is hard, especially when you have so many limitations to work around.

Double-south. I wouldn't change them. I'm happy with them. There was a brief time where I felt limited in designing my island, due to the thinner strips of land along the west and east beaches. However, I enjoy dealing with the challenge a design limitation, and since then, I've dealt with those areas of land effectively, I think. Being able to terraform gives us a huge edge already, in my opinion. :)
I know what you mean! Terraforming was such a big step in the right direction. I also enjoy having some limitations, I think there's always a way to work around them, though sometimes it's hard to find!

Last edited:
I have the two south mouths and I'm happy with them. They frame my "main street" and "business section" nicely and give natural separation from the residential areas of my island.

Double south! It was hard to work with at first, but we have terraforming, so I changed it around a little and now it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I think that goes for all the layouts, really, we have so many options for changing it to personal preference that it doesn't matter all that much and I'm pretty sure I could be happy with any of the river layouts. :D

I have double south, if I could change it I would. I kinda just dealt with mine and I don't want to reset. It's an interesting challenge for sure that it's probably going to keep me working on my island until I find a solution to deal with the other river end.

I would rather move my plaza though

Are the OP map sets complete? My south hemisphere town started with a map that isn't in the OP. Its totally fine if they're not all the map presets, I was just wondering. But anyway, for my main town it's west and south, and no I wouldn't change it. I love watching the sunsets from where the river meets the sea. :)

I have south and west and honestly I'm really happy with them.
Even without too much fiddling with my river shapes they divide the map very nicely.

If I had a second island I would be interested in seeing what you could do with double south. I know a lot of people express regret over having double south, but I feel it has potential. Of course I can't say for sure since I've never had it.​

Ever since I saw double south river mouths in the map options before the game came out, I knew it was what I wanted! I'm still very happy with my choice. :) I love the way it divides up my town, especially because I like having rivers and water features winding throughout! It keeps my main area with my town hall and shopping center feeling like the "center of town" (which I don't think I would've achieved as nicely without double south river mouths) while having my villager housing, character housing, museum, and decorated areas feeling quite secluded.

Just like the first poll I didn’t know resetting was a thing when I first got the game, but I wouldn’t have reset regardless. I’m kinda going with the flow of what I was given and it’s working so far. I have the double south river and like another poster here, I used the inside of the river enclosure to frame my residential and shopping district. I do currently have some villagers in there as well, but might end up moving them to another area of my island. I could always close up one side of my river mouths if I feel the space is limited, but for now I’m happy and I wouldn’t have reset regardless. I like the random aspect of what I was given, makes it more of a it was meant to be rather than a I chose this feeling.

South and West! And with the exception of two squares of land behind my house (terraforming was easier than moving the entire house forward a square), I didn't have to do any other landscaping at all to make them work, so I'm very, very happy with them.

I went in not knowing the river mouths were permanent - and I ended up with double south. At first, it was annoying, as it cut off my sandy beaches into small chunks that made them hard to decorate. It still is hard to do so, but the trade off is the huge terraforming freedom: the mouths are out of the way of three other edges, so I can craft rivers and cliffs in a throwback style without the mouths sticking out like a sore thumb. In the end, I took advantage of such powers, and now I enjoy my double south layout.

Makes me wish I could move a mouth to facing the north side of the island - That would would be perfect.

Back