• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Join My Shiny Hunting Club!

I tried my hand at shiny fishing chaining and I got a shiny Skrelp. Woohoo! 20131113_183822.jpg

Lucky! I haven't gotten a Shiny yet.

I can say that shiny chaining does work but requires a ton of patience. I've been playing since Gold and I've yet to encounter a shiny in the wild. I had the worst luck. I can't fathom how people back then would amass hordes of shinies. Legit, I mean...

two day shiny streak with a shiny larvesta in someones safari zone! this hunt took me about 30 minutes, next target: growlithe!

I'm trying to get Kirlia in a friends safari, but I'm having no luck with FS shinies...

Got a shiny Sandile in FS last night, my first ever wild shiny encounter (if FS counts as "wild"). I'm trying to breed a perfect IV shiny Bulbasaur right now (yeah, I know, but if you shoot for the stars you might just hit the moon, right?) but I'm gonna be chain fishing once I'm done with that.

Happy hunting Dizzi(Sounds like you'll need crazy luck) Or a pair of perfect IV pokemon to breed. Say.. perfect IV bulbasaur and a perfect IV Ditto.

Thanks Jinjiro :) I've hatched 65 eggs so far, and used the first decent female (4 perfect IVs) to replace the Ditto (which had rubbish IVs). I gave an Outstanding male with 3x31 IVs to my son, figuring that was overall better than a Relatively Superior one with 4... This morning I have my first Outstanding with 5x31 IVs (HP/Atk/Def/SpAtk/SpDef), Adamant nature, unfortunately it's male so I'm going to have to forgo the Masuda Method for a bit til I've hatched a female with the same stats. I'm actually not bothered about the Speed stat really, Venusaur is never gonna be fast. But this is my first time breeding for IVs, so I'm using it as a learning exercise. No shiny Bulbasaur yet, but when I have my 5x31 IV female I can go back to using my Japanese 4x31 IV male which will improve my chances. Watch this space!

Last edited:
Question. I've decided I want to try and hatch a shiny. Does the Masuda Method work if one of the Pokemon in daycare is a Ditto? And would it help if the Ditto or the other Pokemon was the foreign one?

Any of them could be foreign, just make they are not of the same country.

Yesterday I caught my first shiny pok?mon ever, a Horsea and a Poliwag. I can only use the chain fishing method for now, since I restared my game and I haven't gotten to the E4 yet. It was surprisingly easy to get them though.

How is everyone finding shinies in the Friend Safari? I think it's refusing to get me one...

My shiny Sandile just popped up when I was going through all the Safaris to see who had what. Not chaining, not using any items, just lucky I guess?

Last edited:
Yesterday I caught my first shiny pok?mon ever, a Horsea and a Poliwag. I can only use the chain fishing method for now, since I restared my game and I haven't gotten to the E4 yet. It was surprisingly easy to get them though.

What is the chain fishing method? I've never heard of it! :O

What is the chain fishing method? I've never heard of it! :O
What I did was catch a Inkay with the ability suction cups, get the rod I used and stood in a spot without moving and fished up a bunch of pok?mon without missing a single nap. You can flee from battles and everything when doing this, just don't open any menus except the Y-button short-cut menu. I think that was pretty much it. I only needed to go reel up 21 pok?mon before getting a shiny Horsea and about the same for my Poliwag! I tried catching Magikarp too but that took forever.

What I did was catch a Inkay with the ability suction cups, get the rod I used and stood in a spot without moving and fished up a bunch of pok?mon without missing a single nap. You can flee from battles and everything when doing this, just don't open any menus except the Y-button short-cut menu. I think that was pretty much it. I only needed to go reel up 21 pok?mon before getting a shiny Horsea and about the same for my Poliwag! I tried catching Magikarp too but that took forever.
Thanks! I'll definitely try this!

I did not know that you can flee from battle. I thought it was the same as the pokeradar where you have to defeat the pokemon so much time I wasted. Thank you :)

Back