• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Join My Shiny Hunting Club!

So... Who wants to hold a Shiny Hunting competition? (I have absolutely no authority to do this)

If so, then...

Rules:

-(Sorry to all of y'all using this as the main method) NO chain-fishing, because shinies pop up waaaay too much using this method. SR Shinies, RE Shinies, Egg Shinies, and Chained Shinies are allowed. Again, sorry.

-If it is a water type Pok?mon, then evidence must be provided, including where it appeared, and a screenshot to verify that it was on land (In-battle screenshot). Or, if it is a Pok?mon that can appear in water.

-The competition will last for a week. It will end at 6:00 P.M., the Monday of next week, and will start the day after tomorrow, on Monday, November 18th (Eastern).

-The winner will win the satisfaction of winning (Or 100 Forum Bells, if I discover how to give these to others by then).

-Also, I again say sorry, but no Friend Safari Shinies will be accepted in your entry, along with Wonder trades or GTS trades.

-Winning is described as getting the most accepted shinies by the end of the week.

-I will be a judge. I will accept two others. Judges are used to decide if a Shiny is legitimate or not. You have to have two judges in your favour in order to be condsidered legitimate.

-Last, but not least, a screenshot of the summary screen showing the date of the catch must be presented in order to be accepted.

I may decide to allow Friend Safari Shinies. Feel free to add rules, and challenge any already there. Also, if only group admins, or moderators, or whatever are allowed to start Competions, then, by all means, sorry.

Also, at least six competitors must join for it to be "game on." These do not include myself.

Judges: BluRose, DemonOtaku

Last edited:
Ahh, too bad legendaries are shiny locked in X/Y. And I'd highly advise against allowing previous gens for this, since there's no way to prove if a person didn't use their AR for the previous gens. As the AR doesn't cause any visual signs if used to force all wild pokemon to spawn as shinies.

edit: And I don't understand why so many people hate fishing-chained shinies(I understand why they're not allowed for your contest idea though). I mean, fishing-chained shiny is still a shiny pokemon, though, thanks to chain-fishing shinies almost -all- water pokemon available in X/Y are valueless now to most people, which I find kind of sad.

edit edit: And before anyone responds with the usual method A is better than Method B banter, I am well aware of what made the fishing chain shinies valueless and I do not need my head chewed off again for that.

Last edited:
Yeah... Well, I say Soft-Reset because of the Starters and all that other good stuff. Anyways, I would perfectly agree with your addition to the rules by saying no previous Gens, but that would require sacrificing my entry (Not to be selfish...). Anyways, I should also say that I think there is a method for showing proof that AR was not used, but am not too sure how to do it. Also, if the Shiny is found on cartridge in III Gen, please show a screenshot of the whole GameBoy Advance, including the game slot.

View attachment 17414
(Sorry for how big it is)

If that Wingull were to be Shiny, I would consider it to be legitimate.

Yeah, that would be a safe legit shiny assumption[if it were shiny]

edit: Idea: for previous gen games, show the -entire- game console. That'll allow judges to determine if an AR was used or not since the AR always goes over the top of the console anyway.

Last edited:
Well, for one, it doesn't:

View attachment 17422

Compared to:

View attachment 17423

And, if the Action Replay weren't there, then I think this would be a legitimate shiny assumption (Again, if the Bidoof were Shiny):

View attachment 17434
(DON'T LOOK AT MY HORRIBLE FACIAL EXPRESSION!!!!!!!)

One could see the back of the DS, and can effectively see that the AR is in effect at the moment. If I had put on my Shiny code, then this would be considered illegitimate.

Does anyone like my Meeeeeeewwwwww?

Last edited:
That final screen shot would work for DS games. Take the picture in front of a mirror to prove your not using a AR[don't need to be in front of the mirror yourself].

And no, I hate your mew. My mews are better. One is shiny[used an AR to force the shiny status since we've yet to get one off wifi and have never had a way to farm one since sapphire/ruby and I never got those games.]

Last edited:
I'd be up for a shiny competition. I won't win of course (can't chain, I just can't get it to work for me) but it would be fun to try just through breeding.

*Silently cries*

Anyways, we need... 6 more participants, and one more judge by tomorrow. Any stepper-uppers?

Edit: Sorry, 5 more participants.

Edit Edit:
Judges: Blu Rose, DemonOtaku

Participants: Blu Rose, Dizzi Paradise

(Don't worry, Dizzi, I will NOT win either. You'd probably win over me, as I have been going at Ralts for forever now. I can chain, but it never works for me.)

Last edited:
*Silently cries*

Anyways, we need... 6 more participants, and one more judge by tomorrow. Any stepper-uppers?

Edit: Sorry, 5 more participants.

Edit Edit:
Judges: Blu Rose, DemonOtaku

Participants: Blu Rose, Dizzi Paradise

(Don't worry, Dizzi, I will NOT win either. You'd probably win over me, as I have been going at Ralts for forever now. I can chain, but it never works for me.)

I'd be a judge ;)
I have no chance of winning, since the only shinies I've had in this gen have been traded, and I can't seem to get them no matter how hard I try, but I can judge :p

Well over 12 hours in the friend safari now, no shinies yet. Its going to feel better when I do actually find one I guess.

The judges have all been chosen!

Judges: Blu Rose, DemonOtaku, and CreeperHugz.

5 participants by tomorrow! DemonOtaku, CreeperHugz and I (hopefully) all want some Shinies to judge.

Excellent. Looks like I've actually already had all my shiny luck with 2 hatched Larvitar and 1 FS Sandile. Since the Larvitar I've hatched upwards of 500 eggs, including the 120 Honedge today, and not so much as a sniff of a shiny. I've even failed at chain fishing, and chain-fished shinies aren't even legit in the comp. Oh well, it'll still be fun trying!

I will join the competition! Can we use shinies we've already caught?

I might as well join in, probably won't find any shinies myself.. I apparently used up my luck by hatching a shiny fennekin after 12 eggs lol(which I then traded 3 days later for two shinies, then traded one shiny for a perfect IV timid eevee[now a glaceon that is proving to be damn powerful thus far]).

I also got a free perfect IV female heracross from gamefaqs(same place my eevee came from)

Last edited:
No, no shinies already caught. As the rules on the previous page state something along those lines.

Update: Everyone, only three more competitors needed! But, by all means, we can get more!

Participants: Hikari, Dizzi Paradise, Blu Rose, Jinjiro

Now, who bets, out of the competitors gathered, that Hikari or Jinjiro will win?

*Promptly raises hand*

Last edited:
Back