• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

LGBTQA - Discussion and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - The Q word is totally a slur. Sorry I don't make the rules.
2 - I think I'm bisexual? I've kissed a girl before. We were both in a institution for suicide attempts and we were roommates and then we kissed. Woot. I wouldn't mind dating a girl but I've only officially dated guys, so...

Then why did the lesbian flag have a battle axe im laughing what the hell who designs these flags

Can anyone explain to me what nonbinary is? I want a good explanation not some sht.

What it sounds like. Not by the numbers, not really exclusively masculine or feminine gender identities. For example: agender, the lack of a gender. Genders in between like intergender. Genderfluid, pangender, bigender, etc.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me what nonbinary is? I want a good explanation not some sht.

Nonbinary essentially refers to an individual whose gender identity is outside the binary genders of male and female. For example, someone who is agender and doesn't wish to identify as male or female falls outside the binary genders, therefore is nonbinary. Someone who is genderfluid would also fit this description as well, since a gender that's fluid and not a stagnant male or female also falls outside the gender binary. Bigender people are also nonbinary as their gender is associated more or less with male and female sex characteristics at the same time, therefore they don't fall into a binary male/female category either.

It's basically anyone whose gender identity isn't strictly male or strictly female. A trans female wouldn't be nonbinary since their gender is strictly female, same goes for a trans male. You get what I'm saying?

Nonbinary essentially refers to an individual whose gender identity is outside the binary genders of male and female. For example, someone who is agender and doesn't wish to identify as male or female falls outside the binary genders, therefore is nonbinary. Someone who is genderfluid would also fit this description as well, since a gender that's fluid and not a stagnant male or female also falls outside the gender binary. Bigender people are also nonbinary as their gender is associated more or less with male and female sex characteristics at the same time, therefore they don't fall into a binary male/female category either.

It's basically anyone whose gender identity isn't strictly male or strictly female. A trans female wouldn't be nonbinary since their gender is strictly female, same goes for a trans male. You get what I'm saying?

Claps for you to being able to be the first to explain but at the same time, no.
I'm pretty blunt when it comes to learning new "things", so please bare with me if I sound rude. Can you explain the association of gender that contributes to being nonbinary. If they were born female and later states that their nonbinary, how would that work? If they have female parts, I simply ignore that and see them as "insert name"?
Also need help with they/them pronouns, I would ask questions saying that this pronoun mean multiple people but they would just comment saying "it's just pronouns".

Oh I have lot more questions to ask but I guess I shouldn't care that much or think that much into it.

a4e2d9c3004016cb7b36b9a5804adab0.jpg

Whenever I don't feel confident in myself fashionably, I look at images of Tilda Swinton and I am reminded that I could pull off a skirt just as much as she can pull off a suit and tie.

Claps for you to being able to be the first to explain but at the same time, no.
I'm pretty blunt when it comes to learning new "things", so please bare with me if I sound rude. Can you explain the association of gender that contributes to being nonbinary. If they were born female and later states that their nonbinary, how would that work? If they have female parts, I simply ignore that and see them as "insert name"?
Also need help with they/them pronouns, I would ask questions saying that this pronoun mean multiple people but they would just comment saying "it's just pronouns".

Oh I have lot more questions to ask but I guess I shouldn't care that much or think that much into it.
Well, you are assuming sex and gender are the same thing. Sex is strictly male or female (the odd occasion of both, I forget what it is called), based on the body parts you are born with. Gender includes Trans, Nonbinary genders, etc. You are born with both, just as you are born with your sexuality. Your sex could be female, whereas your gender could be Trans Male. It is very confusing.

They/Them pronouns are basically used for people who dont feel comfortable using he/him or she/her pronouns, those who feel they are in between (Nonbinary). I agree that it sounds like plural pronouns, but its just the way things are.

The historian in me would like to point out that "they" was originally a singular pronoun. You can look at the wikipedia page "singular they" for more info.

Going to always make assumptions, such a headache, basically:

Sex = male and female

Gender = masculine and feminine

So in essence:

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs.

Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

So in socialogical terms:
'man' = male sex+ masculine social role
'woman' = female sex + feminine social role

Nonbinary deals with the social norms that society puts on genders to act and behave a certain way(as stated above), is this WHAT you tried to say? I think I nailed it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The historian in me would like to point out that "they" was originally a singular pronoun. You can look at the wikipedia page "singular they" for more info.

never use a wikipedia to find resources

Last edited:

Please feel free to ask any questions you have, me and many others would be very happy to help.

If someone is born with female genitalia and takes on a non-binary gender, like agender, then that means that their desired sexual characteristics also doesn't fall under simple male or female genitalia. Agender people typically prefer to have sexless sexual characteristics, as in no female OR male genitalia, and as a result their identity is one that falls outside of the gender binary. They do not identify nor desire neither male nor female characteristics, and as a result their identity falls outside of the male and female binary.

If someone was assigned female at birth, but has a gender identity that falls outside of the male or female binaries, then it is very important for one to respect that since stating otherwise could cause immense discomfort and dysphoria in the person whom is already uncomfortable with their sex characteristics. Also, if someone says they are non-binary, it's also very polite not to ask what "parts" they have. Since non-binary folks very often experience dysphoria with their sexual characteristics, bringing up their genitalia will likely only make them feel worse. Plus, it's just a bit rude in general to bring up someone's genitals in conversation.

People are very easily confused with they/them pronouns, so don't you worry! It's important to note that they/them can be easily accepted and used in a singular sense. For example, "I picked up my mail today, and the person in charge made me sign a paper. They were pretty rude about it." Or "Hey, is this for Alex? I think its theirs. They might need this." Or "What an amazing runner! Look at them go!" It may be a littttle bit awkward to use at first, sure, but it's likely even more awkward for someone to be referred to as pronouns that they're unhappy with or that trigger upsetting thoughts and emotions in them when it's very easy to use they/them instead.

so is non binary like an umbrella term for all genders that aren't explicitly male or female?

Can't we all just agree on calling yourself whatever you want to be called and calling other people whatever they want to be called? I mean, if you want to be called queer, I'll call you queer. If you don't, I won't.

Last edited:
Please feel free to ask any questions you have, me and many others would be very happy to help.

If someone is born with female genitalia and takes on a non-binary gender, like agender, then that means that their desired sexual characteristics also doesn't fall under simple male or female genitalia. Agender people typically prefer to have sexless sexual characteristics, as in no female OR male genitalia, and as a result their identity is one that falls outside of the gender binary. They do not identify nor desire neither male nor female characteristics, and as a result their identity falls outside of the male and female binary.

If someone was assigned female at birth, but has a gender identity that falls outside of the male or female binaries, then it is very important for one to respect that since stating otherwise could cause immense discomfort and dysphoria in the person whom is already uncomfortable with their sex characteristics. Also, if someone says they are non-binary, it's also very polite not to ask what "parts" they have. Since non-binary folks very often experience dysphoria with their sexual characteristics, bringing up their genitalia will likely only make them feel worse. Plus, it's just a bit rude in general to bring up someone's genitals in conversation.

People are very easily confused with they/them pronouns, so don't you worry! It's important to note that they/them can be easily accepted and used in a singular sense. For example, "I picked up my mail today, and the person in charge made me sign a paper. They were pretty rude about it." Or "Hey, is this for Alex? I think its theirs. They might need this." Or "What an amazing runner! Look at them go!" It may be a littttle bit awkward to use at first, sure, but it's likely even more awkward for someone to be referred to as pronouns that they're unhappy with or that trigger upsetting thoughts and emotions in them when it's very easy to use they/them instead.

You ever seen a long post and be like "damn, I don't want to read that/ so much"
I already got a good grasp in what nonbinary is tbh.
For a agender, they just don't use characteristics that would place them under male or female(gender), such a manly, or feminine, or girly, etc etc eyc

Bigender is someone who uses both the characteristics of male and female, "oh he's pretty girly" or "she's quite tough" etc etc etc

Genderfluid, still not sure about this one. They're influence by both genders? Elaborate more on this or it'll just sound like another synonym for bigender.

And I haven't enforce unnesscary pronouns on nobinary people cause I don't have any in my social group.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Can't we all just agree on calling yourself whatever you want to be called and calling other people whatever they want to be called? I mean, if you want to be called queer, I'll call you queer. If you don't, I won't.

737562.gif

depends on what they want to be called and if you're comfortable in calling them whatever

Last edited:
737562.gif

depends on what you want to be called and if you're comfortable in calling them whatever

I really just think it's silly so many people get offended by what other people choose to identify themselves as. If anything, it's quite hypocritical. I'd be fine with calling someone whatever they wanted to be called. I don't really know what my gender identity is at the moment. I'm absolutely fine with classifying as male and being male, but I also feel like I don't care either way. I mean, I could easily see myself being a cross-dresser, because I'm absolutely oblivious to gender roles, and I don't necessarily wish to associate my appearance or personality on that of any gender. I hate labels, but it would be interesting to know what this was. My sexuality isn't as complex. I feel like I could have a temporary romantic relationship with a woman. The reason I say temporary is because I could not imagine myself having a sexual relationship with a woman, and sexuality is something I want to experience, and I think I could only ever be happy spending my life with a man, both romantically and sexually.

i think this is too much of a complicated subject for 10:40 PM

Agreed. Also, I love Bj?rk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back