• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

THE NEW BISHARP EVOLUTION IM GONNA LOSE MY MIND. It's always been one of my favourite pokemon but my god is the evolution cool.
I literally couldn't believe what saw. I haven't been too impressed with Gen9 designs so far but seeing Bisharp3 made up for that. Its definitely a permanent member of my team, maybe even my ace. Wondering how it will evolve though because Pawniard evolves into Bisharp at freaking Level 52

Lets see...about the Paradox mons. Paradox Salamence aka Roaring Moon is such a good design for Scarlet. Yet...the other Scarlet Paradoxes just don't do it for me. I'm so glad I chose Violet. I love the futuristic mecha mons, especially Mecha T-tar, so the concept is fine for me. I am still annoyed however that the regular Gen9 mons haven't been leaked yet. Waiting for Gimmighouls evo, hammer fairy, a clearer image of Quaquaval and many more

Last edited:
okay, not to be a negative nancy, but-

originally when i saw people calling this gen's designs lazy, i was kind of :/ but now that i've seen a lot, if not most, of them, i'm more inclined to agree. the futuristic paradox pokemon feel particularly egregious; they're largely the same just if dr. robotnik got to them. imo they just don't look like alternate forms/evolutions. i mean... all mechas? that's pretty uninspired. it's as if someone just said futuristic = shiny metal and rolled with it. even cyborg-esque forms would've been a step-up, especially in terms of gardevoir/gallade. (sorry, i've already forgotten which one of them it is rip.) the prehistoric ones are slightly better but, for the most part, seem to have minimal/simple design changes. i feel like donphan is the only one they really tried with, and probably because mammoth was the obvious go-to. (also... i feel like jigglypuff and delibird should've been swapped? idk, but jigglypuff as a pokemon doesn't even remotely give me past vibes lol whereas delibird could at least easily be passed off as a prehistoric bird or descendant of dinosaurs.) big sad since i still chose violet for the clothes, rip, but again, these forms feel like they should've been shown off way in advance considering they're still shoving two identical games on us.

even some of the new designs are... meh. like the flamingo pokemon, for example. obviously we've had pokemon that are literally just, like, dog, cat, bird, etc. but this one is literally just a regular flamingo from what i can tell 😭 y'all couldn't even put a swimming ring around its neck/body because flamingos are often in water and spain has nice beaches? the new quagsire is... a choice. i'm hoping the mouse pokemon we have is more than just pure white as per its sprite, because that... is a hard one to justify as not-lazy otherwise. haven't seen the third bisharp, so can't comment on that one rip.

obviously no hate/shade to people who like these designs !! they're just not doing it for me personally.

haven't seen the third bisharp, so can't comment on that one
Aren't they a nice family?
FhFovzbWYAAr2Dd.jpeg

okay, not to be a negative nancy, but-

originally when i saw people calling this gen's designs lazy, i was kind of :/ but now that i've seen a lot, if not most, of them, i'm more inclined to agree. the futuristic paradox pokemon feel particularly egregious; they're largely the same just if dr. robotnik got to them. imo they just don't look like alternate forms/evolutions. i mean... all mechas? that's pretty uninspired. it's as if someone just said futuristic = shiny metal and rolled with it. even cyborg-esque forms would've been a step-up, especially in terms of gardevoir/gallade. (sorry, i've already forgotten which one of them it is rip.) the prehistoric ones are slightly better but, for the most part, seem to have minimal/simple design changes. i feel like donphan is the only one they really tried with, and probably because mammoth was the obvious go-to. (also... i feel like jigglypuff and delibird should've been swapped? idk, but jigglypuff as a pokemon doesn't even remotely give me past vibes lol whereas delibird could at least easily be passed off as a prehistoric bird or descendant of dinosaurs.) big sad since i still chose violet for the clothes, rip, but again, these forms feel like they should've been shown off way in advance considering they're still shoving two identical games on us.

even some of the new designs are... meh. like the flamingo pokemon, for example. obviously we've had pokemon that are literally just, like, dog, cat, bird, etc. but this one is literally just a regular flamingo from what i can tell 😭 y'all couldn't even put a swimming ring around its neck/body because flamingos are often in water and spain has nice beaches? the new quagsire is... a choice. i'm hoping the mouse pokemon we have is more than just pure white as per its sprite, because that... is a hard one to justify as not-lazy otherwise. haven't seen the third bisharp, so can't comment on that one rip.

obviously no hate/shade to people who like these designs !! they're just not doing it for me personally.
I agree with you. I don't like the mecha or alien designed Pokemon. That's why I didn't like the majority of the legendary Pokemon from Sun and Moon. Sucks that the designers think we want that. We don't, we want more animals lol. But not JUST plain animals like the flamingo you mentioned. Designed animals!

the flamingo could have gone with a Magcargo spin. I mean why not have flame flamingos chilling in magma pits? Or they could fly out of active volcanoes and make a noise before they blow. It could be a warning system used for ages by a nearby town... Fun world building right there...

I agree with you. I don't like the mecha or alien designed Pokemon. That's why I didn't like the majority of the legendary Pokemon from Sun and Moon. Sucks that the designers think we want that. We don't, we want more animals lol. But not JUST plain animals like the flamingo you mentioned. Designed animals!
to be fair, i like the pokemon from sun and moon. solgaleo will always be one of my favorites, but i feel like it's also a good mecha design, and weirdly it somehow manages to look better graphically? idk, there's something off about the graphics with scarvio that isn't helping the mecha designs. as for the ultra beasts, i think they work in terms of being so 'alien' because that's what they're supposed to be iirc; they're not actually pokemon, they're beasts, so it at least makes sense that their designs are so removed from what we usually see. that isn't the case here, since they're supposed to actually be pokemon. from the future? i don't know, maybe the game will explain that better. if it were a completely new pokemon that had similar origins to the porygon line where it was a mecha created by humans, i think that would work fine, but slapping metal suits onto pre-existing pokemon is kind of... meh? especially when it's the same exact concept for all of them lmao.

to be fair, i like the pokemon from sun and moon. solgaleo will always be one of my favorites, but i feel like it's also a good mecha design, and weirdly it somehow manages to look better graphically? idk, there's something off about the graphics with scarvio that isn't helping the mecha designs. as for the ultra beasts, i think they work in terms of being so 'alien' because that's what they're supposed to be iirc; they're not actually pokemon, they're beasts, so it at least makes sense that their designs are so removed from what we usually see. that isn't the case here, since they're supposed to actually be pokemon. from the future? i don't know, maybe the game will explain that better. if it were a completely new pokemon that had similar origins to the porygon line where it was a mecha created by humans, i think that would work fine, but slapping metal suits onto pre-existing pokemon is kind of... meh? especially when it's the same exact concept for all of them lmao.
That's true. As much as I like some of the different Pokemon forms (Alolan Raichu and Vulpix being my favs), I really would like to see new Pokemon instead of just variations of old ones. It's just kinda boring now since there's so many. There's definitely something weird about the Pokemon models here. I'm not sure if they're the same ones as Sw/Sh since I didn't buy those games.

That's true. As much as I like some of the different Pokemon forms (Alolan Raichu and Vulpix being my favs), I really would like to see new Pokemon instead of just variations of old ones. It's just kinda boring now since there's so many. There's definitely something weird about the Pokemon models here. I'm not sure if they're the same ones as Sw/Sh since I didn't buy those games.
i think it's to do with the metal texture and how the light's reflecting etc.? idk, there's just something off about the metal in a way i can't quite pinpoint lmao. it might look better when playing it for ourselves, but we'll have to see. i don't mind seeing different forms for the various regions, or even region-exclusive evolutions, but these paradox forms don't seem quite different enough from the regular forms to do it for me, if that makes sense.

Aren't they a nice family?
BRUH SEEING IT AGAIN I JUST LOVE IT.

Idk how it walks through doors though
Post automatically merged:

BRUH SEEING IT AGAIN I JUST LOVE IT.

Idk how it walks through doors though

It evolves using the black sludge and becomes part dark type as far as i've seen
Post automatically merged:

I think you're point about Solgaleo sums it up perfectly tbh. I think they went TOO mecha with the future mons and should've stripped them back and made them stronger designs. Then the past mons need more as they're barely different.

It evolves using the black sludge and becomes part dark type as far as i've seen
But the Pawniard line has always been Dark type...

I love the mecha theme of the Violet Paradoxes. In fact, I like all of them but my favourites are Iron Moth (Volcarona), Iron Thorns (T-tar) and Iron Valiant (Gallade/Gardevoir). I actually like the Violet P-doxes more than Scarlet P-doxes and I may be alone on this one. I chose Violet for the clothing and liking Miraidon so I don't regret my choice at all. According to Khu, past and future are NOT the themes of the paradoxes. This is why the Scarlet exclusives are not all prehistoric mons and are instead more like cryptids. Instead of coming from different timelines or universes, Khu has been hinting they may be a result of imagination. Still too early to tell and when it comes to story I prefer to go blind so I don't really want to delve into it more.

But the Pawniard line has always been Dark type...

I love the mecha theme of the Violet Paradoxes. In fact, I like all of them but my favourites are Iron Moth (Volcarona), Iron Thorns (T-tar) and Iron Valiant (Gallade/Gardevoir). I actually like the Violet P-doxes more than Scarlet P-doxes and I may be alone on this one. I chose Violet for the clothing and liking Miraidon so I don't regret my choice at all. According to Khu, past and future are NOT the themes of the paradoxes. This is why the Scarlet exclusives are not all prehistoric mons and are instead more like cryptids. Instead of coming from different timelines or universes, Khu has been hinting they may be a result of imagination. Still too early to tell and when it comes to story I prefer to go blind so I don't really want to delve into it more.
My mistake, just black sludge then

I agree that it’s pretty disappointing that all the future Pokemon are just robots. That’s…….not very creative. I like future Tyranitar but they shouldn’t ALL be mechas. Kinda wishing I’d gone for Scarlet, but I’ll be playing with my partner, so we have to get different versions or else we will both be locked out of some exclusives.

Screamed with joy when I saw Fuecoco’s final evolution, though! I LOVE it and I’m so glad I’ve been team Fuecoco from the beginning.

Paradox Jiggly looks so silly, I love her!! Wigglytuff is my 2nd favorite pokemon, I wish she had the spotlight from time to time, but the pre-evos are so cute too ^^ Very glad I'm picking Scarlet, I like most exclusives from it. I have a soft spot for mecha gardevoir/gallade though because I love robots, I wish I could get it but I don't have nintendo online or anyone irl who plays pokemon ;-;
Screenshot.png

This generation feels weird, most of the pokemon we have seen so far are just versions of pre-existing pokemon, few are completely original. I wonder if people thought the same with gen 4, that one made a bunch of evolutions & baby forms rather than fully new pokemon.

i think it's to do with the metal texture and how the light's reflecting etc.? idk, there's just something off about the metal in a way i can't quite pinpoint lmao. it might look better when playing it for ourselves, but we'll have to see. i don't mind seeing different forms for the various regions, or even region-exclusive evolutions, but these paradox forms don't seem quite different enough from the regular forms to do it for me, if that makes sense.
yeah it's a bit strange. It'll be interesting to see what it's all about when the games come out. Hopefully it'll make sense and not be as random as it seems right now. Maybe it's one of the new gimmicks?

Kaphotics will be working his magic soon. Hopefully we'll get the rest of the new mons so some can properly build their teams.

I'm trying my best to steer clear of the leaks in order to go into the games as blind as possible, I just let my team build itself as I play and explore any new region (I loved how B/W restricted the player to only use the new Gen 5 Pokémon at the time) but one thing I definitely wanted to check out was the starter evos, and here are my thoughts:

I was NOT expecting Fuecoco's final form to be designed like that, that's for sure, but I actually really like it, it's what I was hoping for the most with Fuecoco. A monster, a creature that would tear you up, not a human dressed up as a Pokémon. Sure he's not so derpy anymore, but that's why we have Meganium, the only derpy final form of any starter thus far.

It's pretty funny and kind of sad how it's come down to this: almost everyone in the Pokémon community worrying about whether or not a starter will stay a quadruped or stand upright. The final design will either make or break the starter nowadays. I laughed when I saw Floragato's middle stage because so many dreams were most likely crushed lol we just have to accept that's Game Freak's trend now with most mammalian starters (or should I say, fire starters, such as Tepig, Litten and Fennekin) so to have Skeledirge be on all fours is kind of a big deal, a pleasant surprise I'm definitely all for. I love that fire dino croc!

The grass cats, well, imo are much better when it comes down to the now trending "humanoid" starter design choices such as Braixen, Delphox, Raboot, Cinderace and Inteleon, the latter of which I hate so much, and it hurts saying that because I love lizards, reptiles, etc. Starters like Infernape and Rillaboom, and most other monkey/ape Pokémon don't feel so out of place or unnatural being humanoid since humans and primates are so closly linked. That's not to say there shouldn't be humanoid Pokémon in general or starters as long as it's done right, for example Incineroar. But I also understand everyone has different tastes and no one is right or wrong for liking certain Pokémon.

It also got me thinking: when did giving starters a sort of gimmick/human trait become a thing? And I realized it somewhat began in Gen 5, with Samurott having qualities of a samurai, then the concept carried on to the extreme in Gen 6: a ninja, a witch and a knight. Then Gen 7 with a wrestler, an archer and an opera singer. Then lastly Gen 8 with a soccer player, a spy and a drummer, but it feels more natural with Rillaboom because that kind of behavior can be associated with the animal world.

As for Quaxly and its middle and final forms, I'm neutral about them so far. Some clearer images and actual in-game screenshots of them would help me come to a more concrete opinion of them, but so far I've seen people compare Quaquaval to something akin to Blaziken, which is kind of interesting.

One of Geeta's was revealed
Veluza, the Jettison Pokemon. Based on a hakefish. Water/Psychic. Go to Centro for pic

I actually really love Future Hariyama... somehow, MUCH more than regular Hariyama. I also really like Future Tyranitar and Volcarona. Future Hydreigon is growing on me a little, too. And... I have to admit that Future Delibird is cute.

I was expecting to totally love the Ancient Pokemon, but... I'm kind of lukewarm on them, at the end of the day. Donphan is the one that I think looks the best, just because it's a classic mammoth. Ancient Volcarona is also adorable. Ancient Salamence's design is something that I feel I should like more than I do, but something about it just rubs me the wrong way; maybe it's the giant crescent wings (a design decision that I didn't appreciate on Mega Salamence, either). The other choices just seem kind of weirdly random to me. Misdreavus? Amoongus? Jigglypuff? MAGNETON?? Why on earth is there an ancient Magneton? And why *isn't* there an ancient Persian or something... finally, the perfect chance to make an awesome looking saber-tooth tiger Pokemon and we have Ancient Magneton instead. What?? (Sorry, Magneton fans. I have nothing against the Pokemon in general, it just seems like such a weird choice to me for a past-inspired mon).

Back