Random thoughts thread. (New Horizons)

I at times have contempt for the formula which calculates the villager species you are likely to find while island hopping.

I understand why it is the way it is because if it was the opposite way around you would almost never find particular kinds of villagers. Namely the octopus, cow and bull villagers.

I wonder if they will keep this function in the next game but I feel like it would depend mostly on the game setting. I doubt it will be another island setting, hopefully it will be a return to the town with stronger connections to city life than CF and NL.

I wonder if they will keep this function in the next game but I feel like it would depend mostly on the game setting. I doubt it will be another island setting, hopefully it will be a return to the town with stronger connections to city life than CF and NL.
I hope so too. They really need to blend some of the HHP/HHD aspects into the main game, mainly the outdoor editing and facilities. I'd love me shops that aren't limited to just Nook's and Able's.

Okay guys, I only noticed this now, I might cry🥹

IMG_20240709_010347531~2.jpg

It's 12 in the morning, I'm hunting for the horned hercules...and I mistook a horned atlas for one and caught it. x_x It really goes to show how desparate I am to catch the horned hercules after I accidentally scared one a few days ago.

I have been searching for a Golden Stag for a week now. I finally saw one, and forgot that my bug net broke this morning when I was catching bugs for Flick. I went from super excited, to super disappointed in about a second and a half lol

A few features that I predict will be in the next game (not just hope):
  • Step-up platforms for interior designing (like what Nook’s Cranny had)
  • A few facilities in the main town you can change the interior design (you can do that to villager houses in ACNH). You could even do that to Timmy’s and Tommy’s store.
  • Adjustable room sizes for the player house
  • Custom doors, windows, and curtains for the inside (like Happy Home Designer had).
  • Pre-made wall panels that resemble the glow-in-the-dark stickers.
  • Gates (as part of the fences).

I looked at island inspiration photos on Pinterest, and let's just say that I really want to get my second island going again. I know I've made progress in certain areas, but I maaaay want to redo a few others. Ugh; terraforming and moving buildings blows, especially if you're a perfectionist like me.

I don't plan on restarting, as (A). My Resident Services is lined up perfectly with the airport entrance, and (B). I've built up a catalog to repurchase stuff. Terraforming will be the way to go.

My sister got back to playing New Horizons yesterday.

She caught a lot of fish, including a squid and a sea bass. I wanted her to sell the squid, but she initially declined because…get this: she wanted to “troll” people by squirting ink on them with it. That obviously isn’t possible in this game, girl. Thankfully when I told her that she decided to sell it.

Same for the sea bass, she didn’t want to sell it at first because she wanted to eat it raw. I had to tell her that she could cook the bass later in the game and that there were common so she sold that too. Then I taught her about eating fruits and using the power you get from them to destroy rocks and dig up trees.

The fish part of my museum is complete! Woo-hoo!
Post automatically merged:

My sister got back to playing New Horizons yesterday.

She caught a lot of fish, including a squid and a sea bass. I wanted her to sell the squid, but she initially declined because…get this: she wanted to “troll” people by squirting ink on them with it. That obviously isn’t possible in this game, girl. Thankfully when I told her that she decided to sell it.

Same for the sea bass, she didn’t want to sell it at first because she wanted to eat it raw. I had to tell her that she could cook the bass later in the game and that there were common so she sold that too. Then I taught her about eating fruits and using the power you get from them to destroy rocks and dig up trees.
I wish you could squirt ink at other villagers lol. I remember when jacksepticeye played New Horizons, he kept the squid as a pet, then the next day it was gone. Shari told him she was enjoying the “new foods” on the island, and since the squid went missing, he thought she was saying she broke into his house and ate his squid. 😭
It’s far-fetched but the dialogue made it sound like the writers were up to something lol.

Why do the tigers and lions have to look like that? They should be arguably some of the cooler villager species...Lions are basically just walking noses and tigers are talking bum-faces. It's so sad. :(((
Post automatically merged:

Also, the ear shape of hippo villagers is a bit weird too.

Last edited:
So I decided to essentially clear all my progress on my second island (Parkwood) and start over, though I didn’t do a 100% total island reset. The only thing I did not clear was some staircases and the second-level cliffs. I am only going to terraform as I go along this time and not spend an eternity flattening the entire island, as it’s a waste of time and I believe that will cause me to lose motivation quickly. I also replaced Jacques with Roscoe as I was just dying to have my dark horse buddy as a resident in some form.
Jacques also wanted to leave again lol

I’m now left with no smug villagers on this island, and the only one I’d really want right now is Lopez. However, I’m not going to have him on two islands at the same time as he’s staying on my main Wahu Island. I’m actually considering temporarily moving in Zell just to learn all the smug reactions, then replace him with Fauna. Funnily enough, I’m finding it hard to let go any of the three lazy villagers I have right now (Filbert, Punchy and Beau), so I’m not going to worry about moving anyone else right this second.

What I’m trying to figure out now is if having the river loop run South of Resident Services with a bridge connecting to the airport will work. It looks weird on the minimap (but not in person), and I’m trying to figure out what to put in the small strip of green land between that and the sand. I’m not huge on making the rivers twist and bend, as I’m mostly going for a citycore/coastal town theme with some country elements up North. I’ll start planning out where the stores will go before I start properly decorating that area. This is where the fun part begins…

I have a story about Zucker, one of the permanent residents in my island...

Back when I used to play New Leaf, he was one of my dreamies. Once day, with my hacked N2DS, I decided to "scan" Zucker's amiibo (using this program thing) so he could move in to my town. Once the day came when I could see him for the first time...my console was gone.

Months later I began New Horizons, and during my villager hunting spree I ran into Zucker! I invited him to stay in Westward ASAP, and he's been living there since. What a happy ending!

Why do the tigers and lions have to look like that? They should be arguably some of the cooler villager species...Lions are basically just walking noses and tigers are talking bum-faces. It's so sad. :(

I personally love Bangle on my island. I think she is a beautiful tiger, and I rather like the others I have come across. Not sure what "talking bum-faces" means. Reminds me of childish insults about people's looks back when I was in elementary school.

I admit the lions are not my favorite, but I did enjoy having Lionel on my island, and eventually made him my chef in HHP. His smug look and personality seemed perfect for the role.

I personally love Bangle on my island. I think she is a beautiful tiger, and I rather like the others I have come across. Not sure what "talking bum-faces" means. Reminds me of childish insults about people's looks back when I was in elementary school.

I admit the lions are not my favorite, but I did enjoy having Lionel on my island, and eventually made him my chef in HHP. His smug look and personality seemed perfect for the role.
It means the upper-part of their mouths is too bulbous and distorts the facial structure of the tiger villagers, in my opinion. Their mouths should be smaller. The only exception that I can really think of is Bianca, she's still lovely because she has a nice design. As for the last bit, it's a childish insult because it's not serious at all and a lot of villagers, at one point or another, have received similarly negative comments (on this forum and everywhere else) about their looks but it's fine because it's only a game.

The lions have that same sort of issue where a particular feature (the nose) dominates and ruins their model, the only one that doesn't really have that problem is Rory but I still don't like him because of his design.

It means the upper-part of their mouths is too bulbous and distorts the facial structure of the tiger villagers, in my opinion. Their mouths should be smaller. The only exception that I can really think of is Bianca, she's still lovely because she has a nice design. As for the last bit, it's a childish insult because it's not serious at all and a lot of villagers, at one point or another, have received similarly negative comments (on this forum and everywhere else) about their looks but it's fine because it's only a game.

The lions have that same sort of issue where a particular feature (the nose) dominates and ruins their model, the only one that doesn't really have that problem is Rory but I still don't like him because of his design.
Katrina is also like this as well given that she's a panther, and also has detailed paws compared to other villagers due to her role. Needless to say, I found it funny that Rover in HHD would indirectly reveal that he has a crush on her. Was he hypnotized?

All jokes aside, I personally don't mind the tiger villager appearances at all (heck, I wouldn't mind having Bianca or Bangle as they look like huggable stuffed animals 😆), but I do agree that they look a bit disproportionate in the older games, especially Bangle pre-New Leaf.

Katrina is also like this as well given that she's a panther, and also has detailed paws compared to other villagers due to her role. Needless to say, I found it funny that Rover in HHD would indirectly reveal that he has a crush on her. Was he hypnotized?

All jokes aside, I personally don't mind the tiger villager appearances at all (heck, I wouldn't mind having Bianca or Bangle as they look like huggable stuffed animals 😆), but I do agree that they look a bit disproportionate in the older games, especially Bangle pre-New Leaf.
Yess! I was looking at the tigers, lions and Katrina on Nookipedia yesterday. I thought that the lions and tigers actually having claws, like Katrina, would be so cool.

The other thing is, I thought it was strange that Bangle was the only female tiger - she was absent in Wild World and City Folk but returned to New Leaf alongside the introduction of Claudia and Bianca. There needs to be some more, I'd love a little bit of a design revamp too.

Additionally, I think lioness villagers should exist. Lions are entirely male and I think that they should kind of go down the kangaroo route of introducing the other gender. Should be more kangaroos too! Koharu is my favourite from the past.

I guess I've been taking more of an interest in underrated and more uncommon villagers recently.

Every time I go to The Roost for a cup o' joe, I tell myself, "I think I'm going to drink it very cold today." Then as soon as my coffee is served, I end up drinking at room temperature, which isn't hot not is it cold.

I don't know why. Maybe it's because I either don't wanna tick off Brewster or I just like it that way. (I'd probably want my coffee to be warm too, once I think I'm old enough to drink it.)

I tend to leave fleas on my villagers for a bit because I love all of the "itchy" dialogue. I talk to them at least 5 times before netting the flea and easing their misery.

Last edited:
Back