• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

Just watched episode 24 of Tokyo Revengers, the last of the season. Boy, did it end on a cliffhanger. If I wasn't a manga reader already, I'd be bingeing on the chapters right now.

However, I can't easily recall any series I'd watched or read where I feel the main character is actually the weakest character of all. In a story about teenage delinquency and violent gang clashes, Hanagaki Takemichi is too bland, too naive. Everyone else around him, even the villain, is way more interesting. It bothers me that Takemichi is slow to change despite experiencing all the life-changing events that happen to him and his friends. He reminds me of those voiceless main characters in some videogames who shoulder the role of being the player's avatar... and not much else. It's frustrating to watch.

For me, what works very well about Tokyo Revengers is Wakui Ken's compelling story-telling style. The pacing is faultless. The supporting characters are attractive and many come with intriguing backstories. Chapters and story arcs often conclude with a proverbial twist at the end to generate excitement and introduce new conflict.

Wakui-sensei keeps the story on a fairly realistic note since it mostly takes place in Tokyo between 2005 and 2018. However, some suspension of disbelief is necessary. In fights, not only is the violence often exaggerated, people are sometimes seemingly able to appear where they are needed in defiance of gravity and time.

Because the manga is now on its final arc, I will read it to the end. If there is a second season for the anime (and I'd be surprised if there isn't given the manga's popularity in Japan where a live-action movie was released earlier this year), I will watch. But I'll only recommend this series for those who can enjoy a well-crafted story while tolerating a lacklustre main character and time travel shenanigans. 😅

A new episode of My Villain Academia/Boku no Villain Academia released two days ago!

Shigaraki recalled the rest of his memories in his fight with Re-Destro, and unleashed his awakening power to destroy Deika City and make Re-Destro lose. Re-Destro conceded defeat and handed over control of the Meta Liberation Army to Shigaraki, and the new name for the organization became the Paranormal Liberation Front. Even Gigantamachia now submits to Shigaraki's will.

Up next time, on My Hero Academia! The heroes get wind of the happenings between the League of Villains and Meta Liberation Army, and make preparations for the battles ahead. Go beyond! Plus ultra!

I started Tokyo Revengers on Saturday and it's safe to say I'm obsessed lol. I'm already on episode 17, I haven't binged an anime this fast since Seraph of the End (my favorite as of now) so I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes my favorite or close once I finish. I swear it just keeps getting better and better the more I watch.

I'm 4 episodes behind on the current season of My Hero Academia subbed. 😬 Hopefully I'll be caught up soon. Though I did finish season 4 dubbed with my boyfriend so now we are giving Hunter x Hunter a go. I've seen about 1/3 of HxH myself before but the subbed version so the dub is new to me.

I personally watch a mix of dubs and subs but anything I watch with my boyfriend needs to be dubbed as he isn't a strong reader so he has a hard time keeping up with subs.

I recently took a short break from social media and I had the chance to catch up to a few shows and read a bit of manga 🙆‍♀️

Anime:
S2 Yuru Camp/Laid-back Camp: I finished watching S2 and my heart feels a bit empty. This show is so chill and comforting, I really didn't think such a niche topic would be so captivating. It was really nice to finally see Rin's grandpa make a longer appearance towards the end, he really showed how much he cares for his granddaughter. The bond between all the girls is also really nice to see, especially because they all have very distinct personalities from one another, but they just seem to click so well.

S2 That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Watched the last episode of S2 today and I really enjoyed it! Glad season 3 has been confirmed and I'm really looking forward to see what happens to Rimuru, the strongest slime out there.

Fena: Pirate Princess: The first episode of this show was amazing and I had high hopes for it, but as the story goes on, it just feels incredibly fast paced. I feel like the characters have hardly bonded but according to the latest episode they are all "ride or die"... when did THAT happen?! Tbh, I think I'm more used to the slow developing stories from slice of life shows. On a high note, the animation is fantastic and well executed!

S2 Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun!: A show I thought I was going to hate but ended up really liking and I can't really put into words what it is that I like so much. Maybe the cheesy comedy? Maybe Clara? Maybe how different it is from other shows? idk lol I'm just super hype that S3 has been announced, can't wait!

Tokyo Revengers: I really enjoy this show, but it isn't without its faults. I'm sure that a few of the faults I see with it have to do with the adaptation process, it feels like some key components of the storyline are deliberately forgotten from time to time x.x and no, this has nothing to do with the censorship the show has, I find nothing wrong with the way they decided to censor it. If y'all decide to watch it, just know that the MC is quite the "crybaby" and I've see this turn a few people away from the show, this however doesn't bother me, what bothers me is how much "disregard" and "disrespect" he has for his relationship and significant other... I can't believe how easy it is for him to take every opportunity he's given to "turn into a man". I also find myself thinking "how are these middle schoolers?!" quite often, not because of their appearance, but because of the whole "gang" aspect of the series.

Manga:
BL Metamorphosis: I finally got a chance to read volumes 2-4 and my heart aches every time Ichinoi (75 year-old) shows her awareness of her age and mortality. As somebody who is quite comfortable talking to people who are well over my age range, this story hits close to home. It's also really nice to see the bond a 75 year-old woman can make with a high school girl (Urara), through a joint "hobby". The 5th and final volume of this series is going to release at the end of the year and I'm praying to the manga-gods that I don't get my heart broken.

A Man and His Cat: Another wholesome series with an elderly man as the main protagonist and the cat he adopted. I recently read vol 3 and I really enjoyed it! In this volume we get a glimps at Fukumaru's (the cat) past and his littermates. At the end of the volume, the mangaka thanks a publishing company for picking up her story and says that she's going to develop the story further. I'm looking forward to reading the next volume and seeing how much the mangaka decides to tweak her composition.

I would if I got the last volume. Can I pm you? Do those have the same publisher?
Yes, you are more than welcome to send me a pm, I'm really curious because it seems like this issue is affecting a lot of different series and publishers. Two of the series I mentioned are published by VIZ Media and the other one is published by Vertical Comics.

I recently found out my SO didn't really have a chance to watch ATLA when he was younger, and coincidentally enough, I've been meaning to give it a re-watch. Hopefully if I bring it up, he'll be willing to watch it with me. (I know this is technically not anime, but it's heavily inspired by it)

Yes, you are more than welcome to send me a pm, I'm really curious because it seems like this issue is affecting a lot of different series and publishers. Two of the series I mentioned are published by VIZ Media and the other one is published by Vertical Comics.

I recently found out my SO didn't really have a chance to watch ATLA when he was younger, and coincidentally enough, I've been meaning to give it a re-watch. Hopefully if I bring it up, he'll be willing to watch it with me. (I know this is technically not anime, but it's heavily inspired by it)
Surprised VIZ is having issues.

Also got a good deal on a limited edition box set of "Haven't you heard, I'm Sakamoto". It came with socks. Got it during a sale for ~$25.

(My last post for now, after which I'll be inactive for awhile. I wanted to thank everyone who has posted in this thread and who has been my friend on the forums. I love you all and I'll miss you all dearly. The fact that the season five finale of My Hero Academia released on my mom's birthday today may just be a coincidence and not mean much to others, but to me it's one of the most heartwarming things. My mom passed away last December after a ten month battle with gastric cancer, but in spite of every gut punch that life delivers me such as Aspergers/ASD, I continue to get back up and move forward)

All Might: "aHAHAHAH!!! It's fine now. Why? Because the season five finale of My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia is here!" *coughs again*

Midoriya: "Ahh, All Might! Are you okay?"

All Might: "Yeah, just ended up talking too much again..."

Hawks was at the Paranormal Liberation Front rally and was resolved to find the force behind Shigaraki. Meanwhile, the U.A. Class 1-A students showed off what they learned in their work studies. Midoriya and Bakugo talked to All Might afterwards about the past users of One For All, how they were all just the ones who were entrusted and entrusted. They weren't chosen or anything, and they died young because of All For One. Aizawa talked to All Might when he was having doubts and feeling powerless to help the young heroes. After all of this, the U.A. students were about to become second years. They were taken to a place to do an expeditionary mission, and very soon X-Day would arrive, the day that would shake superhuman society.

Season six is currently in production! (y)

Remember these times fondly.

Who are the heroes in your life?

Surprised VIZ is having issues.
I've been having trouble getting my hands on all of the Banana Fish manga, also published by VIZ. I'd halfway thought it was because it's so old, but the anime came out in 2018 and I know they reprinted (and I'm pretty sure retranslated/reedited it), so I'm not quite sure what's going on with it.

Well... almost caught up with My Hero Academia 5th season. I actually am not happy with the writing for the villain backstories. It was really disturbing and gory. Like Mirai Nikki levels of disturbing. I realize they're villains and all, but this is the darkest I've ever seen the story. I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse than that for future episodes.

Back