• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The Anime Thread

If I did pick up Haruhi Suzumiya, I wouldn't want to watch the endless 8 I keep hearing about.
But it's a sacred anime ritual! šŸ¤£

But yeah, Haruhi is overrated. It's good for those who enjoy slice-of-life shows, I guess, but I find Haruhi the character to be bratty and insufferable.

That would be difficult with DBZ now. They've retconned a few movies, made them unavailable, and keep releasing things in decreasing quality. If I did pick up Haruhi Suzumiya, I wouldn't want to watch the endless 8 I keep hearing about.

But see, I donā€™t watch anime movies unless they really interest me, so I donā€™t count those. I understand what you mean about older stuff becoming unavailable though. I havenā€™t researched that much yet, but from what I do know, all I can say is, ā€œyikesā€.

On MyAnimeList it really bugs me that older anime gets put into one continuous season rather than breaking it up.

Sometimes shows on Netflix Japan only have the first season or so. I'd prefer to have it broken down so that I could complete each season rather than have it be indefinitely on hold. Also it messes with my stats lol

There is data for how the seasons are broken down but maybe it was difficult to find. I suppose it's late at this point to change it but I honestly wish they would. I like being able to keep track of things neatly.

But see, I donā€™t watch anime movies unless they really interest me, so I donā€™t count those. I understand what you mean about older stuff becoming unavailable though. I havenā€™t researched that much yet, but from what I do know, all I can say is, ā€œyikesā€.
If the yikes was for Haruhi, I hear it's 8 time loop themed episodes with minor changes here and there. A bit boring. Space Dandy does a parody of it and keeps it to one episode.

Has anyone seen Magic Knight Reyearth?

On MyAnimeList it really bugs me that older anime gets put into one continuous season rather than breaking it up.

Sometimes shows on Netflix Japan only have the first season or so. I'd prefer to have it broken down so that I could complete each season rather than have it be indefinitely on hold. Also it messes with my stats lol

There is data for how the seasons are broken down but maybe it was difficult to find. I suppose it's late at this point to change it but I honestly wish they would. I like being able to keep track of things neatly.
The thing of it is, a lot of anime (particularly older anime) have only one season. The so-called "PokƩmon Indigo League", for example, is the same season as PokƩmon Johto and PokƩmon Master Quest in Japan; only in America do they break it up into separate seasons.

MyAnimeList is known for referring to what's standard in Japan (rather than in America). I haven't bothered using the site for a while (I'm mostly using Anilist nowadays), but I remember reading that the site admins would use Romanized titles rather than the English translated titles. They've been called weeaboos because of that.

If the yikes was for Haruhi, I hear it's 8 time loop themed episodes with minor changes here and there. A bit boring. Space Dandy does a parody of it and keeps it to one episode.

Has anyone seen Magic Knight Reyearth?
You've heard correctly. I watched all 8 of the eps lol. Really, only watching the first and last eps of the endless eight are needed, if you care about the loop.

I binged more Naruto Shippuden and am up to episode 12/13 now. Have to say that finally watching it in full after having seen only clips of it in the past is amazing. I know it gets a lot of flack for the direction it went in, but itā€™s still really good. Last I heard you were on season two @tessa. . I wonder if Iā€™ll catch up to you, or if youā€™ve already made it past that, or just dropped it. Lol.

I binged more Naruto Shippuden and am up to episode 12/13 now. Have to say that finally watching it in full after having seen only clips of it in the past is amazing. I know it gets a lot of flack for the direction it went in, but itā€™s still really good. Last I heard you were on season two @tessa. . I wonder if Iā€™ll catch up to you, or if youā€™ve already made it past that, or just dropped it. Lol.
Honestly I haven't technically dropped it but I rarely watch it and haven't for months. I do plan on finishing Naruto:Shippuden (and i agree- its really good!) just needed a break.

I decided to check out the first episode of Takt Op.Destiny today. It's a bit different than what I had in mind, but it had some interesting moments and lines. I might give it another episode or two to see if I like it because I'm still not sure.

Today I watched the first episode of Platinum End. I think I like it so far. It's from the creators of Death Note, and I can already see that it has similar vibes. It got dark pretty quickly. The plot also made me think of Mirai Nikki. At this point, I plan to keep watching the series and see how it turns out.

Just finished watching episodes 1-4 of Heike Monogatari.

I wasn't even halfway through the first episode when I decided this one was a keeper for me. It was a good binge. The political intrigue was fascinating and killed at least 75% of all my elderly brain cells. If I had watched one episode per week, I would've forgotten half the names and relationships.

Heike Monogatari is directed by Yamada Naoko, who also directed the excellent anime movie Koe no Katachi aka A Silent Voice (which is based on Oima Yo****oki's manga, the same mangaka responsible for Fumetsu no Anata e). And it shows. Thoughtfully crafted visuals with a minimalistic yet evocative style, makes it hard for the viewer to look away as the turbulent story unfolds. And I am, again, mesmerized by Sakurai Takahiro's performance as the measured, kindly Shigemori. I've been listening to his voice for nearly two decades. I never tire of it. Every time I hear it in a new series I'm watching, I get excited. His versatility astonishes me. Whether he's playing a bumbling highschooler, a ruthless occult master, a crazed serial killer or a quick-witted tanuki trying to save his father from becoming a hotpot ingredient for the humans, Sakurai nails it every time.

Can't wait for the next episode of Heike Monogatari. The story is not entirely unpredictable but the telling of it is enthralling.

A little while back I watched Aria: The Animation, Aria: The Natural, and Aria: Origination. Fantastic series. If you enjoy slice of life and/or the city of Venice it's a must watch.

Finally found an anime that's held my attention long enough to get past episode 3, it's "Odd Taxi" and I think it's great so far. Reminds me a little of Paranoia Agent.
Post automatically merged:

Started watching Monster (2004) recently and the "old school" animation is just so refreshing and it really helps set the tone of the story. It is super slow placed and a few things aren't really explained by the characters but through context, which makes it a bit hard to understand at times (specifically with the time skips). So far I'm really enjoying it, my only gripe is that ALL the short, bald, heavy-set dudes with a grey mustache LOOK THE SAME.

Monster is definitely a slow burn but I think it makes some of the big moments pay off and feel earned. I think it's peak psychological/philosophical anime.

But when you called an anime from 2004 old school I felt my neck snap completely.

Last edited:
Monster is definitely a slow burn but I think it makes some of the big moments pay off and feel earned. I think it's peak psychological/philosophical anime.

But when you called an anime from 2004 old school I felt my neck snap completely.
Monster is definitely one of the greats. Most of 2000s and even the 1990s anime are great compared to the 2010s. You'll never, ever get another anime on the level of Cowboy Bebop. Period.

Then of course, there were the experimental anime like Serial Experiment Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, and even Ghost in the Shell. The spin-off series, Stand Alone Complex, was less experimental but just a lot more confusing with its political jargon. Still a nice psychological series though. And don't forget, Kino's Journey, an optimistic series that celebrates the beauty in humanity's ugliness, giving us the quote, "The world is beautiful because it isn't."

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, based on a series of visual novels (or rather, sound novels), was notorious for its blood and gore and accused of being a mindless horror anime when it's anything but (especially if you've read the novels). Higurashi Kai, its sequel, showed the emotional core of the novels for the first time, and even then, it was scratching the surface of just how tearjerking the franchise was supposed to be. But thankfully, it also led to other brilliant visual novel adaptations... namely Steins;Gate, one of the greatest sci-fi anime of all time. Period.

Kuuchuu Buranko, a dark comedy series about an anthropomorphic bear psychiatrist that tackled a bunch of mental illness, including OCDs and social anxiety. Paranoia Agent, Satoshi Kon's underrated classic exploring the way the Japanese dealt with post-WWII trauma through escapism. Kemonozume, a horror anime about cannibal monsters with a sympathetic side to them (also see Shiki, which did the same for vampires).

So yeah, I wouldn't call 2004 old school, but dang, it sure as heck gave us quite a number of ambitious anime and showed us what Japanese animation could truly do beyond just generic shounen stuff like DBZ. It's nothing short of The Golden Age of Anime.

Yeah, you could tell that I have a lot of nostalgia for the 2000s. Barely watched anime from the 2010s because of that. The anime of 2000s really changed my perspective about anime and just storytelling in general, the level of depth and variety one could do with simple drawings. Of course, Pixar movies of early 2000s contributed to that too, so it was really a great time to be an animation fan and be wowed by all these amazing stories exploring a wide variety of styles, genres and topics.

Last edited:
A little while back I watched Aria: The Animation, Aria: The Natural, and Aria: Origination. Fantastic series. If you enjoy slice of life and/or the city of Venice it's a must watch.

Finally found an anime that's held my attention long enough to get past episode 3, it's "Odd Taxi" and I think it's great so far. Reminds me a little of Paranoia Agent.
Post automatically merged:

Oh my gosh, I loved Aria back when I watched it a few years ago! I need to watch the movie that was released earlier this year, and the one that's coming out in December.

Nozomi wants to dub the 80's Dirty Pair, and they set up a kickstarter. I saw part of the newer one, Dirty Pair Flash. It's not as naughty as it sounds. It's girls with guns in a sci-fi setting, at least in Flash. I love the 80's music there.

Here is the brief Kickstarter announcement, it's not quite up yet.

Just finished season one of Naruto Shippuden. I went through that way too fast considering itā€™s 32 episodes, lolā€¦

So first of all, the fights with Sasori and Deidara were AMAZING. I absolutely loved that stuff. The bread and butter of a good shounen show, and they were executed well too.

Love the feels too with what Granny Chiyo did and said, and how Naruto and Gaara shook hands before Naruto returned to the Leaf Village. Truly heartwarming.

Iā€™m both looking forward to and not looking forward to season two. Iā€™m looking forward to the end of it, specifically, because of the reunion, but Iā€™m not looking forward to having to watch Sai screen time. Iā€™ve seen clips and bits of him in the past, and he always seemed like such a boring characterā€¦ but I guess it is what it is. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Onto season two!

Just finished season one of Naruto Shippuden. I went through that way too fast considering itā€™s 32 episodes, lolā€¦

So first of all, the fights with Sasori and Deidara were AMAZING. I absolutely loved that stuff. The bread and butter of a good shounen show, and they were executed well too.

Love the feels too with what Granny Chiyo did and said, and how Naruto and Gaara shook hands before Naruto returned to the Leaf Village. Truly heartwarming.

Iā€™m both looking forward to and not looking forward to season two. Iā€™m looking forward to the end of it, specifically, because of the reunion, but Iā€™m not looking forward to having to watch Sai screen time. Iā€™ve seen clips and bits of him in the past, and he always seemed like such a boring characterā€¦ but I guess it is what it is. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Onto season two!
I was not aware people didn't like Sai.

I was not aware people didn't like Sai.

A lot of people like or love him for sure, but thereā€™s still those that donā€™t care for himā€¦ I am one of those people. I know there is because Iā€™ve seen comments on YouTube about others not liking him as well. Idk, I just find his personality boring and his Jutsu boring as well. Just not a fan.

Back