• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's Bothering You?

"adopt, don't shop". I'm never adopting a dog again I'm telling you right now.

edit: for context, I bought my golden retriever from a reputable breeder (one of my dad's coworkers), got to pick him out when he was 5 weeks old and took him home at 7-8 weeks old. and he's the best dog our family has ever had. he fits with our lifestyle very well, he is quiet and gentle and good natured. meanwhile, my other dog, who is a bernedoodle, is one that we adopted a few months ago. we got her when she was already a year old, and she has some behaviour problems, she's very stubbourn, and she's honestly a little too hyper for our family's laid back lifestyle.

at least when youre shopping for a dog, you can observe the dog's parents and see what kind of behaviour they exhibit, and you have a decent selection of the same breed to observe. the previous owner of our bernedoodle did not tell us how wild and out of control she is. she has been an absolute pain in the *** to deal with, and she has been much more difficult to train than my golden because I have to train her and make her unlearn all these bad habits which the previous owners reinforced.

I guess maybe the fact that I'm not really a dog person in general leans into this, but unless I'm picking out a young puppy and I can observe their behaviour for a little while before choosing to adopt, I'm not doing it. I've had so many bad experiences with it throughout my life. I wake up every single day feeling angry and aggravated because this dog stresses me out so much.

not to mention that, when you adopt a dog, you don't know what kind of health background they might have. I do keep up with my dog's health but I can't afford to pour all my money into a dog who needs specialized care. thankfully I haven't encountered that issue though. I'll leave that to people who are more financially secure. plus, a dog's background and experiences with other things/people make them so unpredictable.

I see so many people brag about their rescue dogs. good for you, I'm glad it's worked out! it never works out for me. at this rate I may just stick with goldens if/when I adopt/buy dogs in the future. I just won't do this "adopting a rescue dog" thing anymore, I'm done.

Last edited:
Very pretty, but I can't use my laptop on bed without this abnormal feeling that I'm putting my health at risk. :\

Not with my posture, I mean. I'm convinced the laptop itself is slowly killing me, even though I don't feel anything.

Sometimes I wish technology didn't exist... maybe then, my parents wouldn't be as worried.

"adopt, don't shop". I'm never adopting a dog again I'm telling you right now.
hey man i get the frustration of training pups but as someone who has worked with dogs this feels a little ingenuous. "adopt don't shop" isn't telling you to go out and get more dogs you aren't prepared for, it's a warning against irresponsible breeding that leads to shelters (including kill shelters) being overrun.

hey man i get the frustration of training pups but as someone who has worked with dogs this feels a little ingenuous. "adopt don't shop" isn't telling you to go out and get more dogs you aren't prepared for, it's a warning against irresponsible breeding that leads to shelters (including kill shelters) being overrun.
I understand that but please don't assume that was my intention with my wording. also I'm not talking about this further and I'm not looking for responses, so please do not respond.

Aghh I didn't get the job that I did the interview for.
Then when I was looking for jobs, I opened all the ones I planned to apply for and then realised nearly all of these are barista jobs that I don't even want, why my mind just planned to work for just another coffee shop.

Back