What's the last movie you've seen?

Starting last night and running through this morning, The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs had what they called the Nightmareathon where they featured 6 movies. Though I would have liked to, I couldn't do the full marathon since I had things to do today. I did manage to watch 4 of them though!

The first movie was the original 1982 movie The Slumber Party Massacre from director Amy Jones. I thought it was all right. I've seen a lot of slashers in my time so I don't have much to say about it, but it wasn't bad.

The second movie was called When Evil Lurks; directed by Demián Rugna, it's an Argentina/United States co-production that released last year. It's Spanish but with English subtitles. I quite like it. It's pretty dark and I thought it was neat.

The third movie, from director/writer/main actor Shinichi Fukazawa and released in 1995, was called Bloody Muscle Body Builder in Hell. It's basically paying homage to The Evil Dead franchise of movies. It's low budget and primarily set in one location for most of it, with effects and techniques that are reminiscent of the original 1981 The Evil Dead, but with callbacks and humor akin to Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn. It's goofy and probably not worth watching unless you like those movies, but if you do, and are also fine with subtitles like I am, it's kinda fun.

The fourth movie, written and directed by Vernon Zimmerman, was the 1980 movie Fade to Black. I thought it was pretty good. I can't really describe it without kind of spoiling some of the fun, but I like the concept they ran with for this movie and I found it an entertaining watch.

I hadn't seen any of these four movies before, so I was pretty pleased with that. While I certainly do enjoy seeing The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs feature movies I've seen, and especially like seeing Joe Bob cover some favorites, there's just some added fun to seeing things for the first time in this setting.

I'll have to wait for Shudder to upload the marathon for rewatch so I can watch the other two movies, but I'll report back once I do.

i rewatched hot fuzz. don't know how many times i've seen it now, it's great

also saw carol for the first time about a week ago, definitely one of my favourite films

I saw Twisters. (The new one in theaters, not the original).

It wasn't that good or interesting. Great special effects, but falls into every disaster movie trope.

Continuing on from my previous post back on the 31st of August, on Friday I finally got around to watching the final two movies from the Nightmareathon special of The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs.

First was the original 1984 adaptation of Stephen King's short story Children of the Corn that was directed by Fritz Kiersch. I'm not sure whether I'd actually watched the whole thing before or just knew scenes from it...but regardless, I found it pretty mediorcre. Maybe if I had seen it earlier in life I might have nostalgia for it or something, as other people seem to, but I just didn't get much out of it at this point. It ultimately felt a bit too restrained. It isn't a faithful adaptation since they changed a number of aspects from the story, and maybe they didn't want to go with some of the stuff from the short story due too it being graphic or whatnot, but the final section of the movie is unfulfilling, at least to me.

Then, the final movie, director Bruce D. Clark's 1981 sci-fi horror movie Galaxy of Terror. It's pretty uneven in quality since a number of things about the plot are just kind of vague, but it was an interesting watch regardless. The concept was neat, I liked the set design and special effects, and the use of unfitting squelching sound effects was kinda funny and endearing. It was nice to see a younger Sid Haig, even though he only had one line, as well as Robert Englund pre-A Nightmare on Elm Street. It was also interesting to learn that James Cameron worked on this as the Production Designer and Second Unit Director. I wouldn't say it's a great movie, again due to plot vagueries, but it does have cool aspects to it and I'm glad to have seen it at least this once.

I watched the Sonic movie earlier to prepare for the new one. I know it came out 4 years ago but idc okay? I never watched it and it was really good anyway. I loved basically everything about it, especially how the credits were done in sprites. Also I didn’t really see any of those slightly annoying moments that a lot of movies tend to have where something major could have been avoided if the main characters stopped being so stupid. I didn’t see much padding either. Would probably watch again. I’m going to watch the second one soon.

Edit: oh yeah, forgot. Those two scenes where Sonic did the floss made me lose a little bit of my will to live, but I liked everything else.

Last edited:
i really really tried to watch the bridget jones film that released in 2016 and got 20 minutes in but i couldn't get into it. not got the same energy as the OG film

I am watching The Princess Bride for probably the thousandth time.

I love love love this movie, for so many reasons!

Last edited:
Today I learned the YA novel Uglies was adapted into a movie for Netflix, and it was released on FRIDAY. FRIDAY.

I loooooved this series as a teenager, and had hoped it would be made into a movie for years. YEARS. I cannot believe it got made into a movie ninteen years after the novel first came out, and I cannot believe I just found out about it today. Wild.

ANYWAYS! I thought it was pretty good! There were a few plot changes I wasn't a fan of - I understand why they made Peris into a Special, but I also feel like it kills his book character - but overall, it stays pretty faithful to the book. I'd love to see the next two books in the series be adapted into movies, since I think that's really where the series shines, but given the absolute lambasting the first movie is taking on Rotten Tomatoes by people who never read the books, I doubt it'll happen.

I saw *The Substance* at a special one night screening, with my friend who wanted someone else to be there, and invited me because I love horror.

It was quite frankly amazing, and I loved how it just kept going, and going with barely any pause. It didnt evwn feel as long as it was, because it just pulls you in, and doesn't let go until the end.

Granted I didn't finish my frapichino or Fuzzy peaches, because it is pretty nasty and never stays away from the gore. It's done in the most stylish, luxiously grotesque, tantalizing way possible. Highly recommend it to people who like horror, and can handle intense body horror because it really is fearless when it comes to what you can do in a movie.

Maybe she was right when she said it was a good Recovery mode movie xD.

The last movie I watched was Speak No Evil. I am not really sure how I feel about the movie, it got really good reviews so I thought it would be better than it was. I wouldn't classify it as a horror movie even though it states it is, I consider it more of a thriller and suspense kind of movie. The actors did a great job, but there were some parts that were very slow to me... I don't think I'd recommend people see it in theaters but it is worth watching on a streaming service.

Back