• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like Starry. Sprite is the superior lemon-lime soda.

Quote I said:
“If I wanted flat Sprite, I’d drink Starry.”

i am the absolute mad woman who enjoys water over milk in hot chocolate. im talking about the swiss miss powdered hot chocolate, it tastes better with water in my opinion and i prefer it over milk. i also do this because i am very lazy, my coffee maker can heat up water fast vs having to pour milk and needing to heat it up separately.
Whew! Just when I thought I was the only one.

How often society idealises romance is unhealthy & exhausting
idk if unpopular, maybe just more “contentious” but its going here

saying someone is “talented” is misattributed & meaningless 99% of the time

Reddit is genuinely leagues better than Twitter & cant fathom why so many people still have accounts on the latter

Last edited:
In our culture it's common to be quick to dismiss anything that has any hint of something bad. I don't exactly agree with it but let me explain.

For example: the Roald Dahl censorship. I understand that some of his words were pretty offensive as they belittled some cultures but there are other words that people censored that are not nearly as harmful. Another example is more general. Once someone says something controversial they get cancelled and no one wants to communicate with them again. I myself have felt before that I needed to cut myself off from a cancelled person because of what they said, I must admit.

But what I'm trying to say is that these people make mistakes. Although I'm not trying to justify them, no one on earth is perfect and everyone on earth has bias. And a lot of times what people do nowadays is once someone makes a mistake or faux pas, they will shun them immediately. There is no mercy, no grace.

It really bothers me because some just can't take the good with the bad. You know what I mean? "You can't throw out the baby with the bathwater." It's ok to enjoy art from an artist whose personality you dislike. Maybe it's also important to be uncomfortable with some stuff and keep it unedited. Then we know what we have to fix and how to learn from it.

Sometimes you find stuff that you dislike but you have to deal with it. Sometimes it's better for your mental health to recognize that that particular stereotype was wrong to include and then move on with your life, and still feel free to enjoy the Rest of your book or movie or what have you.

I think maybe we should take a big breath and chill for a minute.

Marie Antoinette wasn’t a bad person.
Exactly. The French just hated only because she was from Austria and part of the aristocracy. She was actually really kind and did give her own money to buy food for poor peasants during a famine. It’s just that she had no real power to do anything else other than to literally sit there and look pretty. People seem to forget that was all women were expected to do until about the 1860s and even then they still were expected to cook and clean and be baby factories. Marie Antoinette had no actual power even as a queen.

In our culture it's common to be quick to dismiss anything that has any hint of something bad. I don't exactly agree with it but let me explain.

For example: the Roald Dahl censorship. I understand that some of his words were pretty offensive as they belittled some cultures but there are other words that people censored that are not nearly as harmful. Another example is more general. Once someone says something controversial they get cancelled and no one wants to communicate with them again. I myself have felt before that I needed to cut myself off from a cancelled person because of what they said, I must admit.

But what I'm trying to say is that these people make mistakes. Although I'm not trying to justify them, no one on earth is perfect and everyone on earth has bias. And a lot of times what people do nowadays is once someone makes a mistake or faux pas, they will shun them immediately. There is no mercy, no grace.

It really bothers me because some just can't take the good with the bad. You know what I mean? "You can't throw out the baby with the bathwater." It's ok to enjoy art from an artist whose personality you dislike. Maybe it's also important to be uncomfortable with some stuff and keep it unedited. Then we know what we have to fix and how to learn from it.

Sometimes you find stuff that you dislike but you have to deal with it. Sometimes it's better for your mental health to recognize that that particular stereotype was wrong to include and then move on with your life, and still feel free to enjoy the Rest of your book or movie or what have you.

I think maybe we should take a big breath and chill for a minute.
Yeah. I grew up on Roald Dahl’s books and even then I cringed at some parts of them. Another sad thing about editing his books to fit today’s standards is that we miss out on the historical context. Like, yeah, maybe it was bad for him to write this about women, people of color, fat people, etc. but those attitudes were more acceptable back in the 60s. It should be a way to show how far we’ve come as people.
Post automatically merged:

Exactly. The French just hated only because she was from Austria and part of the aristocracy. She was actually really kind and did give her own money to buy food for poor peasants during a famine. It’s just that she had no real power to do anything else other than to literally sit there and look pretty. People seem to forget that was all women were expected to do until about the 1860s and even then they still were expected to cook and clean and be baby factories. Marie Antoinette had no actual power even as a queen.
Yes! She wasn’t perfect (who is?), but she did try to help others. People also forget about the kids she and Louis XVI fostered/adopted(?) (forgot which).

Last edited:
Yeah. I grew up on Roald Dahl’s books and even then I cringed at some parts of them. Another sad thing about editing his books to fit today’s standards is that we miss out on the historical context. Like, yeah, maybe it was bad for him to write this about women, people of color, fat people, etc. but those attitudes were more acceptable back in the 60s. It should be a way to show how far we’ve come as people.
That is the problem with a lot of older books written by famous authors. Mark Twain used the n word but back then it was an acceptable word and prejudice and racism against black people was still very prominent. Books meant to be set in a very specific year or time period tend to get dated extremely quickly. I think only the American Girl series of books can escape this issue because they are written with careful research and use terms and phrases commonly used back in the time period that they are about and not use any anachronistic words or phrases. Things are constantly changing and some things once considered to be acceptable are now seen as being wrong. I get the need for some censorship but I think maybe there should be some editions of books with troublesome content that have one version close to the original story but changes that are kid friendly and one for older readers that is the original text with maybe a few corrections for unintentional misspellings and punctuation errors.

How often society idealises romance is unhealthy & exhausting
idk if unpopular, maybe just more “contentious” but its going here

saying someone is “talented” is misattributed & meaningless 99% of the time

Reddit is genuinely leagues better than Twitter & cant fathom why so many people still have accounts on the latter
I'd go as far to say that in my experience, I think Reddit is the best social media right now. Everyone is just fed up with nonsense and I've found the most honest posts on there. They're so helpful.

That is the problem with a lot of older books written by famous authors. Mark Twain used the n word but back then it was an acceptable word and prejudice and racism against black people was still very prominent. Books meant to be set in a very specific year or time period tend to get dated extremely quickly. I think only the American Girl series of books can escape this issue because they are written with careful research and use terms and phrases commonly used back in the time period that they are about and not use any anachronistic words or phrases. Things are constantly changing and some things once considered to be acceptable are now seen as being wrong. I get the need for some censorship but I think maybe there should be some editions of books with troublesome content that have one version close to the original story but changes that are kid friendly and one for older readers that is the original text with maybe a few corrections for unintentional misspellings and punctuation errors.
Yes! I also think there could be a note at the beginning of the books explaining that there will be some offensive phrases but that the publisher doesn’t condone it— or something like that.

I'd go as far to say that in my experience, I think Reddit is the best social media right now. Everyone is just fed up with nonsense and I've found the most honest posts on there. They're so helpful.
If you mean between Twitter, TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and even Discord, I would agree. It definitely has its problems but I think lurking Reddit is a lot more pleasant than other sites- and I HAVE found mid-sized subreddits with pretty interesting discussions. I still think YouTube is more useful, and classic forums are by far the best but they’re a distinct thing. (And these days forums are mostly dead.)

By the way, screw Pinterest for clogging up search results (it’s starting to happen with TikTok for me too).

Not feeling too optimistic about Reddit going public though, API changes are already bad. If it heads south, then I genuinely don’t know where I’m going after Reddit (there are actually clones I will stay on for niche info, but they’re just that, niche).

I'm not really into Stardew Valley mods. If anything I think the mods that make the game easier are boring and those who completely change it (changing graphics beyond recognition, adding new characters and an entirely different storyline, etc) make it so it's not even Stardew Valley anymore.

I have nothing against modders and modded game players though. I respect the fudge out of anyone who can code and y'know, gamers be gamers. If you enjoy a game a certain way, that's awesome. Having fun is the point of video games after all.

Last edited:
im the only person i know who enjoys taking showers everyday (including washing hair.)

it’s the first thing i look forward doing when i wake up or come home from school. i have to wash my hair every day or else my scalp gets oily.

^ I don’t agree so strongly but they are overrated tbh, they’re like the fast food of fruit in that they just give you a sugar fix. The rinds are actually better than the middle tbh. I haven’t enjoyed artificial watermelon flavorings since goodness knows when anyway.

My weird pizza opinions:
  • Pizza cut into triangles looks more appetizing than pizza cut into squares. Probably because I like crust and the middle squares don’t have any. I can see a pizza cut into squares and walk away without feeling inclined to eat it, even if it’s my favorite.
  • I don’t like the look of diced tomatoes on pizza. I won’t want to eat it because it looks gross to me. I prefer sliced tomatoes if any!
  • DiGiorno’s is absolute garbage.

^ i agree with the digiornos opinion. my family always buys it and idk why because it can be so bad sometimes, it never cooks right.
california pizza kitchen frozen pizzas are the best imo

This is copy and pasted from the old thread from two years ago, but I still stand by these:

1. Planes, Shark Tale, and The Cat In The Hat are very under-rated movies.

2. Dragon is my favorite character from the Shrekfranchise.

3. I love Valentine's Day. It one of my favorite holidays along with Christmas.

4. There is a time and a place for religious and political discussion and those times and places should be chosen accordingly.

5. It is very rude and toxic to criticize an adult for still liking "kids" (Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks, Nick, etc.) movies and shows.

6. Sparta remix bases are one of my favorite types/genres of music to listen to.

7. A lot of today's music sucks.

8. People can still have the same opinions about school and its aspects even after graduating.

9. People who self-ship and/or have OC x Canon ships should not be shamed for it.

10. I love watching SuperMarioLogan (even the newer episodes, though I do prefer the older ones).

11. YouTube goes to far when it comes to copyright and censorship. Oh, and ads!

12. That 70s Show is a bad show.

13. I love a lot of the newer Family Guy and SpongeBobepisodes.

14. I absolutely cannot stand cheese on my enchiladas, burgers, and tacos.

15. We shouldn't have to wait until a certain time of the day to have certain foods (i.e. if I want to have a burger in the morning, or eggs at night, that's my right). In fact, I think all restaurants should serve the full menu all day.

16. Atheists can celebrate Christmas, as it has evolved into a non-religious thing for a lot of people (including me, my brother, and my parents).

17. A lot of the stuff in high school Math, English, and History is useless.

18. The villains (including reformed ones) are generally more interesting than the heroes.

Some of these may not be unpopular, but I wanted to share them anyway.

I prefer squared pizza, but that seems to be the popular opinion. The edges are the best, even though I don’t eat the crust too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back