• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think snakes are cute. i don’t think i’d ever hold/touch one though but they are cute (from a distance)
they are!!! super unfairly maligned. i also totally understand the "cute and respect you but pls don't touch me" thing (i get this a LOT with spiders) although snakes i definitely like playing with they feel funny on the skin and are just lil guys

a few days ago while hiking there was a woman who pointed out two male southern pacific rattlesnakes wrestling on the trail to me and my boyfriend, she didn't really know exactly what was going on and after a couple of seconds of watching them with my binoculars it was very apparent. it was very fun giving an impromptu lecture to all the passers-by about rattlesnake mating behavior while watching the males fight (eventually the smaller of the two lost and left, the losers of those fights will usually end up sulking around depressed for a week or two before trying again)

(there are some pictures that the boyf took here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/182422476 )

Last edited:
  • avocado on toast - not good and a waste of avocado
  • attack on titan - not good and too overhyped
  • actually, a lot of the slice of life/romantic animes people are spreading on social media are so overhyped. i watched 3 popular ones and omg it's not that great lol. it's good, but not worth the hype.
  • crunchy peanut butter > smooth peanut butter
  • First two ant man movies were enjoyable and i dont understand the hate
'Clubbing' is overrated, might just be me but I can't think of anything much worse than standing in a packed crowd.
Dude I went clubbing once years ago. i ended up going back to my dorm early and just texted the people i was with that i'm heading out lol.
My controversial opinion is that driving is overrated. I have everything I need at home because I have a WFH job, can just order groceries and food, and don't need to go anywhere (except for martial arts practice). Having a car, paying for it, paying for gas, and paying for insurance is costly, especially when people like me already have student loans and finding a place of my own to worry about. Not to mention the gasoline cars emit into the atmosphere is terrible for the ozone layer. People place so much importance on climate change being real, but then go ahead and continue to drive gasoline cars like it's no one's business (TBF though, the alternatives aren't widely viable yet).
Wholeheartedly agree. In my area, they're all talk about "carbon zero" yet a practical train public transport or a better public bus route is not even being implemented. I HAVE to drive out of the city to work, going through a road that's accident-prone, especially in winter. The site are next to train tracks connected to the main city where I live. I have said it many times that if they ever finally make a proper public train transport, I will never drive again.

Most white rappers are just awful and annoying to listen to. I say most because Eminem is the sole exception to this problem and his work is pretty good and doesn’t make you want to shove knitting needles into your ears to make yourself deaf so that you don’t have to listen to such garbage. Blondie’s Rapture is also an exception because Debbie Harry only rapped on that song and it was the first song with rap in it to both have a woman and a white person to boot to hit number one on the charts and the first rap song to be in the Top Ten and first rap music video to be aired on MTV.

^ I don’t mean to “well actually” you but I think this is a popular opinion/joke. It might just be on RYM. Anyway I kind of agree but the Beastie Boys should absolutely be exceptions to that as well

Title screen music for any Pokémon game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pokémon theme song from the anime

The Pokémon theme tune for the games is the true Pokémon theme music, not the original theme song for the anime. The only thing the anime is better than the games are the Pokémon sounds. Especially for Onix and Mimikyu, which are much more menacing in the anime than the games if you hear their voices.

^ I don’t mean to “well actually” you but I think this is a popular opinion/joke. It might just be on RYM. Anyway I kind of agree but
the Beastie Boys
should absolutely be exceptions to that as well
I disagree. They aren‘t talented at all and all they do is scream which is literally the least talented thing anyone can do and I’d rather shoving knitting needles into my ears before I will ever hear them say a single word! I think their “music” belongs in the garbage right next to Justin Bieber and anything with auto tune made after 2010. Sorry not sorry.

Last edited:
^ Well I like how they switch between eachother more than anything, and i think they have some extremely playful moments and interruptions in their lyricism, I think it creates insane flow. But I’m not trying to invalidate your opinion just share my pov.

i do actually find some of their songs fairly overrated tho, and honestly i can’t dig paul’s boutique even though everyone says its the best of their work

Title screen music for any Pokémon game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pokémon theme song from the anime

The Pokémon theme tune for the games is the true Pokémon theme music, not the original theme song for the anime. The only thing the anime is better than the games are the Pokémon sounds. Especially for Onix and Mimikyu, which are much more menacing in the anime than the games if you hear their voices.
The original english OP for the anime is just so overused now that I honestly never want to hear it again lol.

The original english OP for the anime is just so overused now that I honestly never want to hear it again lol.
Honestly, none of the Pokémon theme songs are any better than the SpongeBob theme song. In fact, the SpongeBob theme song is way better than that.

You don’t want to be the best like nobody ever was if nautical nonsense is something you wish.

Don't know how unpopular this is, and I don't hate animals (I have two cats), but intense movies where everyone's lives are at stake that just HAPPEN to include a character's pet dog, cat, or ___.... just why? Why did they feel the need to include that? For cuteness factor?? I see so many movies do it these days and it's just overdone. And the best part is when said character is like, "oh wait, I got to go back and grab my dog, Charles, or the monster/alien/whatever will get him!" Like uhhhh, no you don't? Don't you think your life, a human life, is more important than a dog's??

Again, in no way am I hating on animals here. I love animals. I just think they're really overused in movies to attract more viewers/attention.

Here’s an unpopular opinion or at least an uncommon one about the recall of Teen Talk Barbie that said “Math class is tough”: it should never have happened. I don’t care if women groups called it sexist or whatever but recalling it is ableist to those who struggle to do math due to a learning disability and actually do find it tough and perpetuates the idea that they are stupid for not able to solve an equation on command and that they are wrong for not being able to do “easy” math. I struggled with the subject and all I kept hearing was how I should be able to do it and that it wasn’t that hard to do. Plus the kids that played with dolls that said this probably didn’t really care or think about what they were saying as they’re just kids that only want to play with a toy. As long as a toy isn’t dropping the f bomb and constantly swearing, who cares what a toy says while a child plays with it? The kid is most likely not remember exactly what it had said years later.

Last edited:
Don't know how unpopular this is, and I don't hate animals (I have two cats), but intense movies where everyone's lives are at stake that just HAPPEN to include a character's pet dog, cat, or ___.... just why? Why did they feel the need to include that? For cuteness factor?? I see so many movies do it these days and it's just overdone. And the best part is when said character is like, "oh wait, I got to go back and grab my dog, Charles, or the monster/alien/whatever will get him!" Like uhhhh, no you don't? Don't you think your life, a human life, is more important than a dog's??

Again, in no way am I hating on animals here. I love animals. I just think they're really overused in movies to attract more viewers/attention.
Ohh I also hate when movies decide to just arbitrarily throw in animals in peril like that. ;; I usually just won't watch the movie altogether if they do that. But 100% I'd risk my life to save our kitties—they're part of the family and they can't help or protect themselves the way a person can. I'd never forgive myself if I let them get hurt.
--
I mentioned this briefly in another thread the other day, but I still prefer wired earphones and don't plan to switch to wireless ones unless I literally have no other choice. Like, they can be a little annoying during workouts and stuff, but they're really not that bad, and if they fall out they're very easy to recover thanks to the wires. Plus, I've already got to juggle the charge of all my other devices—I don't want to have to worry if my earphones are charged or not on top of all that.

Ohh I also hate when movies decide to just arbitrarily throw in animals in peril like that. ;; I usually just won't watch the movie altogether if they do that. But 100% I'd risk my life to save our kitties—they're part of the family and they can't help or protect themselves the way a person can. I'd never forgive myself if I let them get hurt.
--
I mentioned this briefly in another thread the other day, but I still prefer wired earphones and don't plan to switch to wireless ones unless I literally have no other choice. Like, they can be a little annoying during workouts and stuff, but they're really not that bad, and if they fall out they're very easy to recover thanks to the wires. Plus, I've already got to juggle the charge of all my other devices—I don't want to have to worry if my earphones are charged or not on top of all that.

Yeah, I understand. I'd do the same for my kitties. I just don't like it when they throw a random pet in peril, like you said, for the sole sake of attracting more viewers to the movie. Feels really overdone at this point.

I also agree with your opinion. I TRIED wireless headphones years ago, multiple times, and I find that they break or get damaged or stop working far more quickly than wired headphones do. Plus I just think the frequency is better with wired ones??? Because you're plugged directly into whatever device you're using. No idea if that's actually factual or not, but it's what it feels like to me. And yeah, charging wireless headphones always got really annoying as well.

That Righteous Bullies are becoming a big problem to humanity in general. Watching people pile-on and hammer people for days online, accusing them of being an awful human being for not seeing something the same way as they do.

Not singling any specific cause out here. But I will say it's people on both sides of the political spectrum and both of them always believe they're the truly righteous ones and the "other side" is evil, therefore feel justified in treating those they perceive as wrong as lesser humans.

Where it becomes more alarming is that you can't reason with Righteous Bullies. They feel they're doing the right thing and won't stop until they've destroyed a person. Maybe not even then. And they never apologise or admit they were wrong. I can't vibe with any side when behaviour like that is normalised by them both.

That Righteous Bullies are becoming a big problem to humanity in general. Watching people pile-on and hammer people for days online, accusing them of being an awful human being for not seeing something the same way as they do.

Not singling any specific cause out here. But I will say it's people on both sides of the political spectrum and both of them always believe they're the truly righteous ones and the "other side" is evil, therefore feel justified in treating those they perceive as wrong as lesser humans.

Where it becomes more alarming is that you can't reason with Righteous Bullies. They feel they're doing the right thing and won't stop until they've destroyed a person. Maybe not even then. And they never apologise or admit they were wrong. I can't vibe with any side when behaviour like that is normalised by them both.
You know, while there are people who are truly problematic, using extreme means to fight against these people are just as bad, if not, worse than what they’re fighting against. For instance, let’s say that someone supports the death penalty for hate crimes, whether or not the victim’s life is taken. If the death penalty supporter believes in stoning the hate criminal to death, refuses to let the hate criminal appeal to their death sentence, and accuses people who oppose the death sentence of being complicit in bigotry, then that person is an extremist, and they’re just as bad as the hate criminal they’re trying to execute. This is true, even if the person knows that a violent crime or property crime is only a hate crime if the crime was motivated based on the victim’s demographic. While I would respect their belief that the death penalty should apply to hate crimes (especially in an age where there’s an increasing rate of hate crimes), stoning the criminal and defaming opponents as bigots is too extreme.

And yes, I do support the death penalty for hate crimes. I wouldn’t go as far as bullying the opponents or using crueler methods of execution, but there should be a zero-tolerance policy towards hate crimes, regardless of degree. My belief in capital punishment isn’t based on the ethics of executing the criminal, but rather the handling of the crimes.

You know, while there are people who are truly problematic, using extreme means to fight against these people are just as bad, if not, worse than what they’re fighting against. For instance, let’s say that someone supports the death penalty for hate crimes, whether or not the victim’s life is taken. If the death penalty supporter believes in stoning the hate criminal to death, refuses to let the hate criminal appeal to their death sentence, and accuses people who oppose the death sentence of being complicit in bigotry, then that person is an extremist, and they’re just as bad as the hate criminal they’re trying to execute. This is true, even if the person knows that a violent crime or property crime is only a hate crime if the crime was motivated based on the victim’s demographic. While I would respect their belief that the death penalty should apply to hate crimes (especially in an age where there’s an increasing rate of hate crimes), stoning the criminal and defaming opponents as bigots is too extreme.

And yes, I do support the death penalty for hate crimes. I wouldn’t go as far as bullying the opponents or using crueler methods of execution, but there should be a zero-tolerance policy towards hate crimes, regardless of degree. My support isn’t based on the ethics of executing the criminal, but rather the handling of the crimes.
I was with you til you supported the death penalty for hate crimes. Unless a person was murdered as a result of said hate-crimes and it can be proven in court that this was their motive, then I don't think we should start executing people for that. I am anti-death penalty anyway, but in all honesty a lot of rather petty stuff constitutes a "hate crime" in some parts of the world.

I would also think it to be extreme to execute someone for genuinely using a derogatory word with intent anyway. Executing people for their words all seems very Roman Empire and I'd rather not go back to that lmao

I was with you til you supported the death penalty for hate crimes. Unless a person was murdered as a result of said hate-crimes and it can be proven in court that this was their motive, then I don't think we should start executing people for that. I am anti-death penalty anyway, but in all honesty a lot of rather petty stuff constitutes a "hate crime" in some parts of the world.

I would also think it to be extreme to execute someone for genuinely using a derogatory word with intent anyway. Executing people for their words all seems very Roman Empire and I'd rather not go back to that lmao
I agree with you on the most part. Even punishing people with a criminal offense for using racial slurs or homophobic slurs is too excessive (even though I have no tolerance towards that). I’m only targeting the assailants, rapists, and murderers who commit these crimes because of their race, religion, or sexual orientation/gender identity, and I would fully prove that their crime was motivated by the victim’s demographic. I have my limits on where I would support or oppose something.

ACNH 2pm is good. It's not the best 2pm, and I see where the hate comes from since it sounds kind of screechy and annoying, but ever since the first time I heard it I liked it.

brussels sprouts are good.
my mom roasts them in the oven and puts spices on them, and i really love them that way. i like them boiled too, and i even like them raw.
i don‘t know where the “ewww, broccoli/brussels sprouts” thing came from, because i think they’re both good. i think i’m just a fan of more controversial vegetables because i also like cauliflower a lot.
the only things i do NOT like are mushrooms (technically they aren’t a vegetable, but they are a vegetable in the same way that a tomato is a vegetable). mushrooms in pasta sauce are ok, but i hate fried mushrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back