• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people want the Chainsaw Man S1 director replaced and I couldn’t disagree much more with that. It was not a perfect adaption but I loved the level of detail in it and I appreciated it it as a different perspective on the series. I get more out of the series that way. I know that’s not what people wanted but that’s just my honest take. If they nix that director I’m also going to be really pissed at the first arc getting an inconsistent anime adaption, much more than I am bothered by any issues with the adaption so far.

Maybe they could spin it as the artstyle getting more abstract as the story progresses but I don’t think that would fit the best and I’m not holding my breath anyway. There was never anything that wrong with the adaption and I think this is a rare case where unfair negative reception actually is going to lead things in the wrong direction.

Some popular actors I’m not a fan of:
—Channing Tatum
—Sandra Bullock
—Catherine O’Hara
—Susan Sarandon
—Tom Cruise
—Julia Roberts
—Stockard Channing
—Daniel Radcliffe (post-Harry Potter)

Maybe they are nice people in real life, but I don’t like the roles they play.

I also don’t like the musical Wicked. Sorry.

Moving onto more positive things, stuffing is the best Thanksgiving side dish and not even the best mashed potatoes can convince me otherwise.

Maria Edilia on Drag Race Espana did NOT deserve to go home first. I’m glad she won Miss Congeniality, but I wish she would have stayed longer. (Maybe I’m biased though, because I like that vintage/campy style of drag.)

Let's see what I care/don't care about that probably nobody else does/doesn't. Keep in mind that this is in comparison to people's interests in general, not just on TBT:
  • Chick-Fil-A is not worth the wait. It's good chicken, and the service is usually spot-on (big kudos to their employees for handling themselves well 'cause they're always busy), but I can't justify waiting over 20 minutes for chicken when I can just get KFC's delicious nuggets in under 5 minutes and pair it with Chick-Fil-A's sauce that I can buy at the store.
  • TikTok is bad, no matter how hard they try to hide it on their ads. When I saw their mobile ads back when they became a thing in 2018, I was turned off almost instantaneously because of the stupidity of the dances I saw and the music I heard, and I was right within their target age range at the time. Also, the name sounds ridiculous (though it isn't as bad as Twitter's name change to "X", which I think is one of the worst company name changes of all time...). It really doesn't help that it's run by a Chinese conglomerate, and they've been investigated by the U.S. Government a few times due to that alone. I'll simply stick to Instagram if I decide to come back to social media, thank you very much.
  • Mumble rap is horrible. The only skill rappers show off in these songs is how fast they can spew out words, maintain a vocal pitch without cracking, and still be clearly audible. Everything else about it gives me headaches, and I can't really explain the lyrical content in detail without breaking forum rules. Believe me, I tried to like it several years ago when it was starting to become popular, but after committing myself to listen to more old rock music from the '70s and '80s, I couldn't be bothered anymore.
    • By the way, when I watched the Detroit Lions' halftime show on Thanksgiving, it headlined Michigan native Jack Harlow, and I had no idea who he was at the time. Turns out, he's a popular mumble rapper, and I just shook my head as he started doing one of his songs, but heavily censored for TV airplay. Tell me again why this genre is popular?
    • Meanwhile, the Dallas Cowboys' halftime show headlined Dolly Parton. That performance was so much better in my eyes, and she's 77 years old. My family members claimed that she was lip-syncing, but I didn't care. She's a very wonderful person even beyond the music scene. While her choice of wardrobe for the show was sort of... adventurous let's say - I'll give her credit for continuing to be herself even at her current age.
  • I've never been big on anime. This may come as a shock to most of you, but it's true. I'm mostly a western animation fan. The thing is, there ARE anime shows that I want to check out, such as the many seasons of Pokémon and Lupin the Third, but a lot of the popular anime shows out there are about things I don't have a big interest in, or just aren't tailored for me. Yes, the Animal Crossing movie from Japan is considered an anime movie, and I really want to see a dubbed version of it sometime. Maybe if there were ever an Animal Crossing anime show like there is for Pokémon, then maybe I'll get into it more, or if a show mostly involves anthropomorphic animals and less humans. Some of the random animated shorts I've seen from some talented people show promises that something like this can happen someday, official or not.

I'm not really sure if this is unpopular or happens in other parts, but every time I want to use one of the checkout lanes that is 10 items or less it's always being used by some person who takes forever for some reason. Chatting up the cashier, paying with pennies, whatever. It's supposed to be a quick lane, but just going to one of the regular lanes is often just as long or faster.

i may trigger some people with this but i think macOS is better compared to windows. im not trying to fuel something like an iphone vs. android debate, and im not saying that mac is indefinitely better than windows. when i say this i am speaking for myself: it was definitely worth the money.

I believe the purpose of the 1619 Project was to teach people to hate America. It is true that America was built on slavery (at least the southern economy), and we’ve been teaching that for years. But the difference between what we’ve been teaching and the 1619 Project is that America first became a nation in 1619, not 1776. Which means that America first became a nation because of slavery, not because of independence from Britain. Those who teach this idea are also the same people who believe it’s offensive to honor anyone who held slaves, even if they’re best remembered for things other than slavery.

But to be honest, much of the hatred towards America coming from American citizens isn’t because of its long history of racism (slavery, elimination of Native American cultures, intolerance towards immigration during the 1800’s), but rather because of Trump’s election (as well as many other things like the patriotic extremists, the mass shootings, the Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown incidents to name a few). And they’re using America’s history as another reason to hate America. But as I said on this site seven years ago, a nation’s past or party’s past doesn’t count towards what they are today. It’s their present that matters.

The non-Mario characters don't belong in Mario Kart. They may as well change the name of this game to Smash Kart. I used to think Cat Peach/Pink Gold Peach and Metal Mario/Gold Mario were filler characters but at least they are Mario characters. :rolleyes:

some people are so so weird about kids. there's a fine line between not wanting kids and resenting their existence. for example, when people strongly believe people shouldn't take babies on flights because they cry and it's an inconvenience to them. children are people too, and vulnerable people at that, who have as much right to take up space as any other person. not wanting to have children of your own is obviously very valid, but i don't understand people who are unable to navigate the line between not wanting to raise children or be consistently surrounded by them versus accepting they are a part of society and not treating innocent, growing people with vitriol. i think it's a form of ageism people don't talk about enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back