• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe more of an online thing. You only have to look at the Harry Potter fandom. Even those who admit to still liking Harry Potter will fall over themselves to make it abundantly clear they DO NOT like JKR.
I would never be apologetic for liking art by an artist with unpopular views, but I have definitely seen people acting like they have to be.

I've never been into Harry Potter, so this one doesn't affect me personally. But I didn't like seeing people being bullied on social media for owning a copy of Hogwart's Legacy for example. Made me rethink a lot.
I was also lucky to not care about Harry Potter but it's such an awkward thing. It's like us being heavily into Animal Crossing but then later it's found out that the creator did some awful thing. Now do we suddenly stop liking it? It's just an awkward situation all around.

People who fail the separate the artist from the art need to learn this about Vincent Van Gogh. He was a great artist that inspired artists for many decades, but he was a crazy man.
I don't think Van Gogh did anything "cancellable" that we know of, though. Just because he was mentally unwell doesn't mean he was a bad person (imagine cancelling Britney Spears for her knife dance). Van Gogh also never had the privilege of knowing his fame, because he died well before his art took off. I think it's better to not separate the art from the artist in this case because viewing his art with his life in mind might give you better insight into his paintings.

It's hard, I get the argument for separating art vs artist, and I do it all the time especially when listening to music, but sometimes you get someone like R Kelly who tarnished his reputation so badly with the evil stuff he did and then you can't help but think of that stuff whenever "Ignition - Remix" comes up in a playlist. I also really enjoyed the first few Harry Potter movies as a kid but I know if I sit down to watch them, all I'm gonna keep thinking about is JKR for her weird aggressive terf beliefs.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not always easy separating the art from the artist.

It seems like some people forgotten the whole 'separating the creation from the creator' thing.
Especially places like Twitter and Youtube.
It's less this and more virtue signaling. If it's not something they like they are all for making sure everyone else is shamed for liking it, but if its something they do like they'll act like it's nothing to get upset over.

I don't think Van Gogh did anything "cancellable" that we know of, though. Just because he was mentally unwell doesn't mean he was a bad person (imagine cancelling Britney Spears for her knife dance). Van Gogh also never had the privilege of knowing his fame, because he died well before his art took off. I think it's better to not separate the art from the artist in this case because viewing his art with his life in mind might give you better insight into his paintings.

It's hard, I get the argument for separating art vs artist, and I do it all the time especially when listening to music, but sometimes you get someone like R Kelly who tarnished his reputation so badly with the evil stuff he did and then you can't help but think of that stuff whenever "Ignition - Remix" comes up in a playlist. I also really enjoyed the first few Harry Potter movies as a kid but I know if I sit down to watch them, all I'm gonna keep thinking about is JKR for her weird aggressive terf beliefs.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not always easy separating the art from the artist.
About the Harry Potter thing, I felt it was unnecessary to stop using or even throwing away a product you previously purchased before the creator speaks controversial opinions. It’s even more unnecessary and rude to bully or harass people who still use the product after the creator has came out to be a bigot. I don’t really like Harry Potter that much, but I’m not going to let JK Rowling’s views change the way how I think when I watch a Harry Potter movie. And I still allude to Harry Potter in a few ways (like comparing Umbridge to another universally hated character that deserved the hate from the fandom of the art the character came from).

being mentally ill is not problematic nor comparable to being a raging bigot 🤨
Yes! If we “cancelled” every creative person with a mental illness, we wouldn’t have any art left. (and I say this as a creative person myself)

Ben & Jerry's ice cream isn't worth the price. To be clear, it's not bad ice cream in the slightest. I just don't get how anyone feels okay with buying the tiny containers for double the price of a large container of ice cream of a regular brand. Imo, it doesn't taste that much better to justify the price.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream isn't worth the price. To be clear, it's not bad ice cream in the slightest. I just don't get how anyone feels okay with buying the tiny containers for double the price of a large container of ice cream of a regular brand. Imo, it doesn't taste that much better to justify the price.
I only eat their Chunky Monkey, and that’s because it is the only brand selling straight banana ice cream. Banana is my favorite ice cream flavor and that doesn’t include banana related flavors, such as 7-Eleven’s banana cream pie ice cream.

I honestly didn’t feel bad when it was announced that Matthew Perry had died. I didn’t even think he was a good actor at all and I hate Friends. In fact the only cast member that can actually act is Jennifer Aniston and the fact she is still making good movies that are making profit proves it.

I honestly didn’t feel bad when it was announced that Matthew Perry had died. I didn’t even think he was a good actor at all and I hate Friends. In fact the only cast member that can actually act is Jennifer Aniston and the fact she is still making good movies that are making profit proves it.
I think Friends is OK. I even remember watching the spin-off Joey lol. I felt sad that Matthew Perry died but I also remember that prior to that, the most recent thing he did was write in his memoir that Keanu Reeves should have died like River Phoenix and Heath Ledger. That rubbed me the wrong way. Like, I get he had drug problems, but that was just uncalled for. However, I think two things can be true at once— I can be upset by what I assume was his personality and find his death tragic.

Last edited:

I think it depends on your mindset and personality, or how much the opinions of others really bother you. A lot of people are afraid to say the wrong thing or like the wrong person now. I think that's a shame. Nobody needs to be apologetic to anyone else for liking art.

I shall demonstrate by giving you my unpopular and controversial opinions on the things you mentioned:

- I would still get excited and dance around if Ignition came on at work, because it is an ABSOLUTE BANGER! I still believe R. Kelly is monstrous. But that tune is a TUNE.

- I don't actually think JKR is evil, but I don't care enough about Harry Potter for it to affect me personally either way. I would likely step in if I saw a Harry Potter fan being bullied, because I think it's wrong to do that to someone.

I don't mind saying these things because I'm not afraid of not following the popular crowd. If I spent my time anxiously trying to appease others by saying the right thing, then I'm not being true to myself. I would merely be trying to please other people and that's not how I want to spend my life. This might be more of a lower social class mindset, but it's a much more jolly one!

I hate Lord of the Rings and all things associated with it. Everything about the series is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrring! Plus Gandalf is so useless in Lego Dimensions and the first level forces you to use him and every other magic user in the game is far better and more useful.

In my opinion separating Art from the Artist is all well and good so long as the artist is no longer benefitting from your support.

When a makeup company does something horrendous (ie: donating money to a cause/person you are absolutely against) I think it makes sense to use up the items you already bought but not purchase anything new from them in the future.

That's how I feel about it, at least.

In my opinion separating Art from the Artist is all well and good so long as the artist is no longer benefitting from your support.

When a makeup company does something horrendous (ie: donating money to a cause/person you are absolutely against) I think it makes sense to use up the items you already bought but not purchase anything new from them in the future.

That's how I feel about it, at least.
I’m sort of the same way with singers and musicians. Before that awful musical movie Music was released and brought with it a ton of backlash for negatively portraying autism, I really didn’t care either way about SIA and only liked two of her songs. Now that it is well known she doesn’t respect the autistic community and has had a rather shady relationship with Madeline Ziegler, I don’t like SIA. I’ll continue to like the only two songs by her just because I liked them before all this had happened. I can also sort of do the same with Tom Cruise before he went head first off the deep end.

i'm so over the 5 million "cozy games" that come out every month that all look the exact same. stardew valley, harvest moon and animal crossing have this genre already beat and figured out, and the rest are just trying to live up to that standard but don't hit the mark. throw minecraft into the mix if you consider that. this is the equivalent of USA military propaganda FPS shooters saturating the FPS market.

also, of all of the Sims competitors "on the market" right now, AKA really just being developed, Paralives is literally the ONLY ONE that looks good. the hyper-realism these other games (life by you & i don't remember the other one) are using for their characters looks absolutely wretched and i cannot see myself enjoying those games.

edit: i think after writing this i realized im just kinda bored of video games lately LOL uh oh
Post automatically merged:

THANK YOU. OMFG. i really don't think it's that worth it to be hyped up over, same with halo top. they're not that good. tasty, yes, but $10 for a container of ice cream??? bffr

also, of all of the Sims competitors "on the market" right now, AKA really just being developed, Paralives is literally the ONLY ONE that looks good. the hyper-realism these other games (life by you & i don't remember the other one) are using for their characters looks absolutely wretched and i cannot see myself enjoying those games.
The only Sims game I enjoyed was My Sims for the Wii specifically. They had a DS version with the same name that had a totally different feel. It wasn't even the same game. I wasn't interested in any other Sims games. I think My Sims has a very similar feel to Animal Crossing which is likely the main reason I enjoyed it so much.

i'm so over the 5 million "cozy games" that come out every month that all look the exact same. stardew valley, harvest moon and animal crossing have this genre already beat and figured out, and the rest are just trying to live up to that standard but don't hit the mark. throw minecraft into the mix if you consider that. this is the equivalent of USA military propaganda FPS shooters saturating the FPS market.

edit: i think after writing this i realized im just kinda bored of video games lately LOL uh oh
Post automatically merged:

THANK YOU. OMFG. i really don't think it's that worth it to be hyped up over, same with halo top. they're not that good. tasty, yes, but $10 for a container of ice cream??? bffr
Literally a lot of the cozy games are either buggy or empty. I like the genre and everything but if I see one more farming sim, I'm gonna scream. Very few bring anything new to the table and it's just boring.

wait i think i'm stealing someone's comment here but the stanley cup craze is sooooo weird, you do not need 200 stanley's, i'm not convinced u even need 1 tbh they're kinda bulky and impractical

it sucks when we're finally ditching single use plastic bottles but replacing it with buying a dumb amount of £50 water bottles 😭

wait i think i'm stealing someone's comment here but the stanley cup craze is sooooo weird, you do not need 200 stanley's, i'm not convinced u even need 1 tbh they're kinda bulky and impractical

it sucks when we're finally ditching single use plastic bottles but replacing it with buying a dumb amount of £50 water bottles 😭
i just saw a bit of a video on these today and how people were getting violent over them. personally i think they’re kinda ugly too but that’s just my opinion.

also, in the USA “the stanley cup” is a hockey trophy that’s been famous for a long time so i get a little confused every time i see that phrase now used for the drinking cups XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back