• The first day of our new Mushroom Season event has passed, but things are just getting started. Read the update about changes made to the schedule, starting with day two. Be careful foraging and good luck!
  • Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Would you pay for DLC?

Would you pay for DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 130 82.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not for things like simple furniture sets, but if it's about larger expansion packs along the lines of the Pok?mon SwSh DLC, then yes, for sure!

No, I think “packs” are cruel. I paid the full amount for the game, I don’t want to spend more money on content that should have been in there from the get go. 2-3 dollars for a couple characters who might end up leaving me town? One new furniture set? No thank you. Plus I’m already paying for your online service. Animal Crossing dlc has always been free, I think it would be mean to charge for it all if a sudden and blindside long time fans.

Even New Leafs amiibo DLC was free and that was a pretty big deal. Having paid DLC makes me feel like if I don’t buy it I won’t have the full experience :(

Last edited:
Pretty much every other nintendo franchise does as this point. the only problem i have with them making animal crossing paid DLC is how soulless it would feel for them to do it with something like animal crossing. i mean, we already had pocket camp which sucked all our money away, why would they try it with a mainline animal crossing game? maybe thats why there were so many micro transactions in pocket camp. they knew the only reasonable time they could get money from ac fans was with and during pocket camp.

anyways if the DLC is huge, like being able to have a second island or a brand new island with new features entirely, then thats worth a paid DLC. or like a new villager species. buuut if its anything like pocket camp and we have to pay $30 to unlock new hairstyles or clothing, then we riot. that shouldn?t be paid dlc. they made so much money with pocket camp microtransactions. they need to make those kinds of things free updates period.

Yes but it depends really...

If it's just small packs of furniture or villagers sold separately probably not....the idea of that puts a sour taste in my mouth.

but if it's a proper expansion with a new island added and an extension to the villager limit (assuming the base game ends up being only 10) I'd likely buy it. Anything like an expansion pack I'll probably be interested in.

Last edited:
No, I don't support the paid DLC system and I don't want games to be services where people expect new content every month. It's one thing for free mobile games to do this, but a $60 game? Nah. I think it's even scummer with games that have successful merchandise, and in this case it's even worse with 400 Amiibo cards. If you're worried about profit, just release new AC amiibo figures or create something else that people want. I just really dislike content being removed from games to be sold seperately later.

I would love to see some DLC along the way and would also pay for it. A sims treatment would be awful with all the furniture and cloth sets but Ubisoft is a really bad company.

BUT I would pay for new contant, new furniture, new characters and features. AC is something special to me and I want everything xD I can afford it so why not :)

Probably not, I am not a big fan of paid DLC on games, most of times they are not worth the money, with some exceptions of course.

I think blocking furniture sets by a pay wall would be just terrible, I hope they don't make paid packs for sets of furniture, that would be the worst, same goes for characters and other small stuff.

If they make big expansions that could be worth the money but I still hope everything is free, since we are paying for a full price game and need to pay extra money to play online, I liked the ideia of free updates they've presented so I hope they continue with that in the future of the game.

absolutely, especially if it included new furniture/clothing/customisation options

You are missing the "it depends" option on the poll. For me, it really depends on what the content actually is. On one hand, I feel like it would have to be something big because I don't want to encourage paying for aesthetics on a game that is almost entirely dependent on aethestics. On the other hand, I would totally be willing to pay up to five dollars on a nice crossover set that includes clothing, a furniture set, and a themed villager.

If it's along the lines of an expansion pack that takes months of development and adds a bunch of new features, sure I will. Expansion DLC of that sort is no different than the old school expansion pack box that used to be sold for PC games. I doubt Nintendo will go the "Small DLC packs" with animal crossing. I mean their smallest DLC packs at all that I know of for a full priced game is Smash, but you get a character, a stage and a collection of music. That's one thing so far Nintendo has done quite well, is DLC and the worth of each one.

I can't vote as this is not a yes or no answer for me.
As a few people have said, if everyone is willing to pay it will start to become the norm. We really are like frogs in a pot, we become desensitized and used to things and just ACCEPT it, and that really bothers me personally. I get that companies are in it to make money but it isn't like they will be homeless if we don't buy DLC.

I have bought almost every AC game, all the Amiibo figures and TONS of cards over the years, not to mention the ridiculous amount I sunk into PC before I finally got fed up, and yes, I KNOW it is a mobile game, but it is still part of the franchise. This $60 game could easily become DLC nuts if they see that people are just lapping up whatever they push out, so I see it as a slippery slope.

I KNOW how I am, if I see something I want I will fight with myself about paying, it seems that most companies DLC becomes all the stuff I want the most and if they do keep pumping out DLC I really want I will keep paying until I finally get to a point where I am pissed off enough to say enough and that is when they will have lost me for good. In my mind that is the worse case scenario and I am hoping it doesn't turn out anything like that.

I am looking forward to this game like no other before it, and my plan is to enjoy it as it comes regardless, I don't want anything to ruin that for me.

I would for expansion or returning animals (which, if they did a new card set, could count as DLC). Not for new furniture though.

My brain wants to say no, but I know in my heart I'd spend so much money on this franchise dfgkldfg

If we can get a second island on our switch as DLC, I'd pay for it, since it's probably still cheaper than buying a second switch and a second copy of the game.

For everything else I'm not ready to pay. Animal Crossing is a full price game and I expect it to have at least the content all the previous game offered for free.

Yes and I think it?s a good idea for animal crossing. Adds longevity which is what i think this game needs. After one year you?ve seen and done it all. While other games, a single installment can last decades. I wouldn?t mind paying for more content because New Horizon is a complete game by itself (and free updates). If we had to pay to add back things we have had for free, then it would be a hard pass.

Last edited:
Depends. I wouldn't bother paying for furniture and clothes, but I would for exclusive new plants and villagers i.e. a botanic island with Leif or tortoise villagers.

As long as it's proper, big DLC (Octo expansion, Sword/Shield expansion), yes. If it's microtransactions, absolutely not (I very, very much doubt that they'd do those in a mainline AC game).

I trust that they will deliver a finished game (counting the free seasonal DLC) and anything added via paid DLC will be something extra that they developed afterwards and feels like something extra instead of something that was cut.

yes but i would be salty about it. i think the full game should be included in the price, dlcs are often moneygrabbers and i'm generally not a fan of them. however, when it comes to animal crossing i am a bit of a fanatic and the need to play with the downloadable content would be bigger than the principle i have about dlc. so. ye.

Back