Animal Crossing Direct Discussion Thread

I finish work at that time I may miss the first minutes but will watch on the bus very excited

After looking at past update videos, I'm a bit more hopeful on how much they can fit into a 20 minute Direct. Here's roughly how much airtime was dedicated to past updates in the trailers:

128 seconds - Sanrio
64 seconds - Halloween (including pumpkins, new clothes, and skin/eye colours)
56 seconds - Luna/dreams
52 seconds - Mario furniture
50 seconds - Festivale
46 seconds - Nature Day, May Day, Stamp Rally, and Wedding Season combined
35 seconds - New reactions/hairstyles (from Turkey Day/Toy Day update)
30 seconds - Fireworks shows
30 seconds - Diving/sea creatures
29 seconds - Pascal/mermaid furniture
26 seconds - Toy Day
24 seconds - Redd/art
21 seconds - Turkey Day
18 seconds - Gullivarrr
14 seconds - Leif/bushes

And here are a few of the notable parts from the February 2020 Direct:

75 seconds: DIY
71 seconds: Party Play
63 seconds: The airport and postcards
63 seconds: Nook Miles
56 seconds: Nook Mile Tickets
56 seconds: Island Designer/Terraforming
36 seconds: Photopia/campsite amiibo

Adding up all of the times from all of the sections listed above results in 17 minutes and 23 seconds, so assuming Nintendo doesn't dedicate an absurd amount of time to anything (which I don't think they've done too much of; the only thing that really sticks out to me as having way more time spent on it than needed was Festivale), they could easily fit a whole bunch of things in there.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how they can possibly fill up 20 minutes unless they purposefully take forever to explain the Roost and Series 5; just looking at those times above, it seems very unlikely that more than 2 minutes would be spent on the Roost unless it has a lot of new features - even the non-holiday special character with the most airtime (Luna) took up less than a minute (although I could easily be mistaken or have missed someone).

This is probably going to get my hopes too high if I think about this too much but if the trend from past trailers continues we could definitely get a lot of stuff revealed in 20 minutes.

The Nintendo Direct for the Welcome Amiibo update for New Leaf was only 16 minutes long, will everyone stop being so pessimistic about this

originally, people would constantly say, "don't get your hopes up," and "lower your expectations," etc. but now it's suddenly "stop being pessimistic"? no thanks. if i go into this expecting the bare minimum, i can only come out of it pleasantly surprised. if you want to be optimistic and excited, be my guest -- i haven't seen anyone try to tell someone they can't -- but i'd appreciate it if you'd return the favour and not try to tell me how to react.

Are people really gonna sit here and complain about the length of the direct? It's better than nothing right? Sorry I don't mean to be rude, but really. I'm still excited, regardless of how long the direct is. I am going to keep my expectations relatively low as I always have from other updates though. I'm not expecting amazing things at all. But anything is better than nothing and I'm really happy to see this game finally getting some updates. Looking forward to the 15th of October! <3

The Nintendo Direct for the Welcome Amiibo update for New Leaf was only 16 minutes long, will everyone stop being so pessimistic about this

I looked at it again and apparently, the first two minutes are just an introduction, and the last two minutes was just a credit roll listing the 50 returning villagers. I'd say 20 minutes is pretty sufficient.

Heck, they even managed to put everything in a 6-minute video:

Last edited:
I’ve reread the thread and can only speak for myself, but I don’t think anyone is meaning to complain about the length (especially since we don’t know how it will be paced). There are a few of us who were thinking it would be longer, that’s all. I'm still really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
me @ the direct even though it doesn’t take place for another week:

025C539F-864F-48DC-9091-89C48CBC731E.jpeg

xjkdndl i’m honestly so excited!! i’m not sure of what all is to come besides brewster, but i’m very excited to find out! i’m also really happy that the direct is taking place in the morning, since the suspense would probably kill my impatient self if i had to wait until midday or evening — the next week is gonna be hard enough as is LOL.

I just hope they give us little more to do in multiplayer, but I'm gonna be real happy with the update either way!

I’m wondering if the direct is going to be stretched out like someone mentioned here. For example, Brewster being added could be something like “Brewster is a green pigeon who works at a coffee shop. The coffee shop is located inside the museum. It is called the roost. He serves coffee. You can buy coffee at the roost. Villagers can drink coffee…” We all know there are YouTube videos like this to try and reach the ten minute upload. A three minute video can easily turn into ten minutes with rambling.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to what will be announced. I am hoping for Club Tortimer, but I’m not getting my hopes up. My hopes are kind of useless though seeing that I no longer play this game anyway. Club Tortimer would also be perfect to bring back players who got bored of the game or even bring in new players.

I’m wondering if the direct is going to be stretched out like someone mentioned here. For example, Brewster being added could be something like “Brewster is a green pigeon who works at a coffee shop. The coffee shop is located inside the museum. It is called the roost. He serves coffee. You can buy coffee at the roost. Villagers can drink coffee…” We all know there are YouTube videos like this to try and reach the ten minute upload. A three minute video can easily turn into ten minutes with rambling.

Honestly wondering this too. They could focus on talking with Kyogoku about the update or do a skit that drags it out.

OK, here's my thoughts:
  • Gotta say, wasn't expecting it to be announced this soon. Surprised me when I checked my phone after work yesterday. This week's already got Sora's unveiling in Smash, Metroid Dread and the release of the Switch OLED in it, that's already a packed week. Did think it was going to come out either next week or the week after, given there's nothing Nintendo-related in them (the last week of the month's got Mario Party Superstars in it, and NSO's upgrade's presumably going to come then or the week before), but not announced.
  • Nice to see it's on Brewster's birthday, tho! Animal Crossing Plaza may have only lasted a year, and on the Wii U of all things, but its lasting legacy is giving all the NPCs birthdays. Thank you.
  • 20 MINUTES! That's only 7 minutes shorter than the launch direct! That's around about the length of the Welcome Amiibo direct in Japan! This has the potential to be huge. I'm not saying it's going to be absolutely everything, nor do I want it to be absolutely everything, but at least the stuff they planned to release at earlier points this year?
  • I expect it's going to be laid out similarly to the launch direct, with Isabelle introducing and concluding it from her desk rather than Tom Nook, but the main chunk of it being in-game clips with a voiceover talking about them. I don't think Hisashi Nogami is going to dress up again, although given it's Brewster it really should be Koji Takahashi, the AC art director (given this is who Brewster is based off of)
  • Some predictions I missed in the "what do you hope is going to be in the update?" thread: more villager interactions, like the datamined house visits and hide and seek; K.K.'s "you messed up" songs being added as proper songs with airchecks, as well as some replacement "you messed up" songs and some brand new regular K.K. songs, and the rest of the datamined vegetables finally coming into the game for Turkey Day.

After looking at past update videos, I'm a bit more hopeful on how much they can fit into a 20 minute Direct. Here's roughly how much airtime was dedicated to past updates in the trailers:

128 seconds - Sanrio
64 seconds - Halloween (including pumpkins, new clothes, and skin/eye colours)
56 seconds - Luna/dreams
52 seconds - Mario furniture
50 seconds - Festivale
46 seconds - Nature Day, May Day, Stamp Rally, and Wedding Season combined
35 seconds - New reactions/hairstyles (from Turkey Day/Toy Day update)
30 seconds - Fireworks shows
30 seconds - Diving/sea creatures
29 seconds - Pascal/mermaid furniture
26 seconds - Toy Day
24 seconds - Redd/art
21 seconds - Turkey Day
18 seconds - Gullivarrr
14 seconds - Leif/bushes

And here are a few of the notable parts from the February 2020 Direct:

75 seconds: DIY
71 seconds: Party Play
63 seconds: The airport and postcards
63 seconds: Nook Miles
56 seconds: Nook Mile Tickets
56 seconds: Island Designer/Terraforming
36 seconds: Photopia/campsite amiibo

Adding up all of the times from all of the sections listed above results in 17 minutes and 23 seconds, so assuming Nintendo doesn't dedicate an absurd amount of time to anything (which I don't think they've done too much of; the only thing that really sticks out to me as having way more time spent on it than needed was Festivale), they could easily fit a whole bunch of things in there.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how they can possibly fill up 20 minutes unless they purposefully take forever to explain the Roost and Series 5; just looking at those times above, it seems very unlikely that more than 2 minutes would be spent on the Roost unless it has a lot of new features - even the non-holiday special character with the most airtime (Luna) took up less than a minute (although I could easily be mistaken or have missed someone).

This is probably going to get my hopes too high if I think about this too much but if the trend from past trailers continues we could definitely get a lot of stuff revealed in 20 minutes.

Thanks for putting that together. That really helps keep things in perspective.
Post automatically merged:

YouTubers do that because they get fewer sponsors, are paid less or not at all by Youtube, and get less recognition by the algorithm when their videos are under 10/15 videos. Nintendo has no need to ramble. They introduced Redd and art in just 24 seconds.

Oh another thing I'm curious about is if they'll update the NookLink store on the NSO app and grant us more items to purchase. That think the NPC pics were a small but nice touch, but they can definitely flesh it out more.
This sounds like a reasonable and promising line of thought, the app store needs more items to be added

My question is whether they will dress Hisashi Nogami as Brewster for the Direct this time…

Okay, I don't want to get my hopes too high up, but oh boy, I'm so excited! 20 minutes of info regarding upcoming update(s)? Yes please! October 15th isn't too far away...

Sometimes I like to think about Nintendo's schedule had this game come out in late 2019 as they intended. I'm going to pretend for a second it came out in early November of 2019 and the "Day One Update" added all the late year holidays like Turkey Day, Toy Day, and New Years...

November 2019: Release
November 2019: Day One Update adds Turkey Day/Toy Day/New Years
February 2020: Festivale
March 2020: Bunny Day
April 2020: Nature Day(Leif)/Redd/May Day/Wedding Season
^It almost makes sense this stuff would come out at this point because it would be 6 months since the game was released. The fall and winter are busy enough with their own DIYS to collect and frequent holidays, so people wouldn't be bored, and then when its almost summer and there are a lot less holidays, they release this pretty big update!
June 2020: Summer Update Wave 1 (Gullivarrr, Pascal, Diving)
July 2020: Summer Update Wave 2 (Fireworks Festival/Luna)
October 2020: Halloween
November 2020: 1st Anniversary/ 2nd Turkey Day (with new items?)/ 2nd Toy Day (with new items?)/ 2nd New Years (with new items?)
^I imagine in this timeline we might still be upset that all we get is a cake for the anniversary, but at last we'd be a tiny bit busy obtaining the new holiday items for the three upcoming holidays. Obviously IRL, we haven't had a 2nd Turkey Day, Toy Day, and New Years so we don't know if new items will be added, but we can assume so!
February 2021: 2nd Festivale (with new items?)/Sanrio
^Sanrio makes a repeat of an old holiday seem way more exciting. Again, we haven't actually had a 2nd Festivale, but we can assume it would come with some new items.
March 2021: 2nd Bunny Day (with new items)/Mario Anniversary/ 2nd May Day (new item)/ 2nd Wedding Season (sorta of new items)
^Mario Anniversary items paired with new holiday items make us fans less grouchy...maybe?
July 2021: 2nd Fireworks Festival (new items)/ 2nd Halloween (new items)
^We know these would get new items because we did get new items for our 2nd FFs and Halloween.
November 2021: 2nd Anniversary with the big update we are getting
^The game would have been 2 years old and, after a tiny first anniversary, they are ready to put out new content for this 2nd anniversary. Because of this, I hypothesize that this November update is going to be huge (since it was originally intended as a 2nd anniversary update). I hope I am not disappointed, which I very well may be...but we'll see!

(Also, in this alternate timeline I think people would be a lot less bothered with the lack of frequent updates, because the updates would have had more "meat" to them. Sure, people would still say the game is missing key features, which is fair, but at least with this schedule updates in the 2nd year aren't tiny drops of content.)

originally, people would constantly say, "don't get your hopes up," and "lower your expectations," etc. but now it's suddenly "stop being pessimistic"? no thanks. if i go into this expecting the bare minimum, i can only come out of it pleasantly surprised. if you want to be optimistic and excited, be my guest -- i haven't seen anyone try to tell someone they can't -- but i'd appreciate it if you'd return the favour and not try to tell me how to react.
I'm not going to tell you what to think at all.
I don't want to, nor do I think you should let others tell you what your opinion should be.

However there is a huge difference between saying not to have high hopes for a Nintendo announcement, or sometimes dates where nintedo have not announced anything at all.
And nintendo saying they will give 20 minutes to talking about new content. Especially when all previous update announcements only took a few minutes even when full of content.

I'm not saying expect lots at all.
I've no clue what will come.
It might suck.

But your comparison doesn't really stand.
Low expectations for imaginary announcements and 20 minutes dedicated to it are 2 very very very very different things

Back