• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

How do you feel about making friends with opposing or different beliefs?

Honestly, most of the time I don't know my friends' political affiliations or where they stand on certain issues. We become friends because of some shared interest or hobby and that is what we spend most of our time together doing or talking about. Controversial topics don't come up all that often.

I've never been friends with someone who went around saying racist, sexist, homophobic or otherwise prejudice statements before. I've had family members that do that but never friends. But I have no idea what people are thinking internally about those topics, so in that respect, yes, I suppose it is possible for me to be friends with someone who doesn't share my values or beliefs as long as they aren't being vocal about them.

As for religion, I could be friends with anyone from any religion as long as they didn't feel the need to talk down to me because of my own beliefs or pressure me into converting.

I have a very mixed view.

I'm quite progressive politically and the odds are, since I live in a red state, I'm going to encounter someone with differing views. Thus, quite frankly, I wouldn't have many options IRL to decide not to make friends if they disagreed with me (granted, most youth tend to be left-leaning anyway).

At the same time, as someone who is bisexual, and had to go through the experience of having homophobic friends while I was figuring my sexuality out, I have to say that being friends with a homophobe is pretty much a no-go. Homophobes, for one, are practically so set in their ways it's almost impossible to change their minds, and second of all, it would be pretty much be masochistic to be friends with someone who literally would be denigrating you with their viewpoints.

As some have already mentioned in the thread, racism should never be acceptable either. Despite numerous denials from his supporters, there's no doubt that Donald Trump was elected in large part due to appeals to racism, and it's no coincidence Trump's tenure in office followed the first black man to serve as President of the United States. Remember how Donald Trump kept propagating a conspiracy theory circa 2011-2012 that Barack Obama wasn't even born in the US? Republicans, in my opinion, truly showed their racism in propping up beliefs that Obama was actually born in Kenya starting with the 2008 presidential election. Obviously, Trump's hard-line talk on immigration was also an example of his racism. What I find so sad about the Trump era is that it essentially made, in the US, racism more acceptable-when we should literally make racism be an issue that gets someone shunned. I know people decry "cancel culture", but I'm sorry, racism really should get you "cancelled", whatever that means. It should not be acceptable to be racist.

First of all, I know Donald Trump is no longer president (thank God). But that doesn't mean his supporters went away-and after the Capitol building in Washington D.C. got stormed on January 6, they're clearly still there. Trump is still the de facto head of the Republican Party. Odds are, in fact, that Donald Trump will be seeking a non-consecutive term in the 2024 election. After Joe Biden got elected in this past presidential election this past November, I reflected on this, and this is something I must regretfully admit about myself:

Unsurprisingly for a white guy who grew up in the South like myself, I was once conservative. Also unsurprisingly, a major reason why political views moved left was because again, I accepted myself for being bisexual (I went through this process of acceptance at the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016, after first realizing it in late 2011 and early 2012), but that wasn't the only reason: a big reason why around late 2015 my viewpoints began to no longer sympathize with the GOP was because this was during the early part of the campaign for the 2016 election, and Donald Trump had very high odds of getting the Republican nomination (the primary in that election cycle really wasn't close, either). Trump's comments, not just on race, but about women as well, I just could not get behind. But sadly, this focus on racial issues underscores another problem I had with myself at the time.

First, I know I'm getting long-winded, but bear with me. Nevertheless, what it was, I honestly thought, as was basically taught in school in Mississippi (I first lived in MS before moving to Alabama), was that the South had essentially moved on from racism. I started realizing this was indeed not true, especially if you start learning why the Southern states started voting Republican in the 1964 election. I really thought racism hadn't been much of an issue after the civil rights movement ended around 1968. However, within months, in 2015 and 2016, the more I realized I was wrong.

Obviously I'm not saying my naiveté was right. I've made myself clear that I was wrong then and it's indefensible. But perhaps my naiveté from around 2015 shows that we had progressed on race in the decades following the 1960s-and if anything has been proven to me with how Donald Trump ran for president and literally served for four years (as I said, thank God he got voted out in 2020)-we've actually regressed. It's actually quite sad because the United States is meant to be a melting pot of different cultures, so you'd think it should be racially tolerant, at least more so than it is, especially when you factor in how the US is expected to become majority-minority within the next decade or so I believe. And even if Joe Biden is president now, the fact that Trump's relevancy hasn't really declined (at least not to the degree I hoped) is quite telling.

Long story short, I think it's about time the racists got put in the place they deserve and realize that racism, under any circumstance, should never be okay. The fact that racism has at least some social acceptableness in 2021 is indefensible.

And admittedly, I shouldn't single out the United States for having many racial problems (despite its diversity). The United Kingdom has been shown to have many racial issues, as shown following Prince Philip's death this past April and also how, particularly in her first year after marrying Prince Harry in 2018 (so around 2018-2019), and the birth of her son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, Meghan Markle began dealing with so much quite frankly racist criticism from the British press, especially after it was highlighted in the recent interview she had with Oprah Winfrey that there were "concerns", apparently, from other members of the British royal family about "Archie's skin tone", just because he'd be one-fourth black-as his mother is half-black, and Archie's maternal grandmother, Doria Ragland, is a black woman. Japan has numerous ethnic issues that even affect other Asians such as people from China, South Korea, and the Philippines. I'm not saying Americans are unique in racism, sadly, it's just that under no circumstance should this be acceptable in any country on Earth.

(sigh) I really hate to say this but I used to have a friend who always had a thing for being too "right-wing" He would always say how most republicans are always right to the country and how "social programs" are always in the way of success. I really didn't care of what he said and I didn't want his political beliefs to annoy me. That was until the Election in 2020 when he asked me "Do you really think that Trump will make America great again just like 4 years ago" I really didn't respond but then he said "Its a shame that he is getting so much hate for downplaying the virus"

At one point this made me snap because I told him that he was the one who made the virus spread around our country and how he refused to listen to any of the experts of what was going on. I also mentioned how he downplayed the virus and made so much bold predications of how it will go away soon, then had the nerve to say how certain drugs or cleaning can cure the virus which was really spreading so much false information. I told him that if he supported a president like that then "you're the reason why this country hasn't gone well"

Then he snapped me saying "How dare you mock my President? He is best President of all time. I don't need a friend like you who thinks otherwise because you're a democrat supporter" Thats right I am one and I've always been have. I really HATE discussing politics I really do, because its one of those topics that really divides society as a whole and it brings out the worst arguments in us. After he said that to me I just cut ties with him saying "You know sometimes I wish the world had more common sense" and then I left, feeling angry and upset.

There I said it and I am not afraid to admit I am a democrat supporter, but there is a reason why. I've hated the education system because it gave me such a bad life and how I was never given a chance to even learn what I want and I was treated harshly by teachers, and I really dislike how healthcare in the USA has been so broken to the point where third party companies can charge money for any medication that is needed for those in need.

So I just told myself "Well thats the last time I be friends with someone who is so right winged and just wants to attack others for being a democratic supporter" I mean both sides do have their flaws and the democratic party is not perfect by any means, but I just wish politics in our country didn't have to argue back and forth about what is the most important thing to them rather than choosing what "we the people" want to see in the country. Its a messed up thing I can tell you that much.

I'm quite progressive politically and the odds are, since I live in a red state, I'm going to encounter someone with differing views. Thus, quite frankly, I wouldn't have many options IRL to decide not to make friends if they disagreed with me (granted, most youth tend to be left-leaning anyway).

I live in a state where every single county voted for Trump in both elections (yeah, this state is abhorrent, I want out so bad), but the funny thing is that over the years I have typically just naturally gravitated toward more liberal/left people. Like I didn't even particularly choose it that way, it's just like somewhere subconsciously I could see those who had more goodness in them than others.

There's been a rare occasion where I end up talking to someone who is conservative. It happened more often in high school and early college, back long before the era of Trump. Nevertheless, these people were always rotten (the story I mentioned some posts up about the "friend" that posted horrifically homophobic crap on his FB and then said "See, I have gay friends!" in a nonpology was in the early 2010s IIRC), and I hate that I have let them drag me down so much over the years.

Living in such a horribly conservative area, I didn't come out to anyone IRL until the late 2000s when I was like 19 (actually the very same year I joined here, 2008). I was downright terrified to come out back then, and I think I just expected and tolerated the rotten people I ran into, but I'm so done with that now.

Then he snapped me saying "How dare you mock my President? He is best President of all time. I don't need a friend like you who thinks otherwise because you're a democrat supporter" Thats right I am one and I've always been have. I really HATE discussing politics I really do, because its one of those topics that really divides society as a whole and it brings out the worst arguments in us. After he said that to me I just cut ties with him saying "You know sometimes I wish the world had more common sense" and then I left, feeling angry and upset.
This is the way Trump supporters think. They not only see Donald Trump as some sort of god (see the rise of QAnon and the storming of the Capitol building on January 6), but basically any opinion contrarian to what they think is seen as automatically wrong and morally reprehensible and unpatriotic (hence why they tell liberals to leave America). It's insane that they talk about how great the First Amendment is for things like speech and religion, yet they truly, truly show their hypocrisy whenever someone uses it.

I feel like you can be friends with people with different beliefs or opposing views. There are so many other things that you can discuss and engage in that aren't about that one part. It really depends on the subject and each situation. So there is no surefire answer to that.

I was great friends with a group of people and a few of them got bit by the sjw phase hard. And anything you did or said was basically a death penalty. They were always looking for a fight. I just couldn't deal with that anymore. It was exhausting. Most (or all) of the time I wasn't even doing or saying anything remotely horrible. So it's just a matter of if both sides can respect each other. I respected them and all of their life choices and encouraged them to be themselves. They didn't respect me. And they also give a bad rep to the side they represent.

There were a lot of red flags that I ignored earlier before this all happened because honestly I suck at making friends lol. I remember busting my buns in NewLeaf to get a ton of ClubTortimer island medals to buy the full set of the Mermaid series. It was a lot of work and time to grind the medals and to island jump to find the rng furniture pieces. Gave it to them for a b-day present and the whole time they were just rushing me. So I dropped it and they force quit the game.

Last edited:
This is the way Trump supporters think. They not only see Donald Trump as some sort of god (see the rise of QAnon and the storming of the Capitol building on January 6), but basically any opinion contrarian to what they think is seen as automatically wrong and morally reprehensible and unpatriotic (hence why they tell liberals to leave America). It's insane that they talk about how great the First Amendment is for things like speech and religion, yet they truly, truly show their hypocrisy whenever someone uses it.
I have the same opinion about Trump supporters and Republicans in general. Ten years ago I thought of Republicans as just people who had different philosophies about the role of government. I've always been a pretty liberal person, but if someone is in favor of lower taxes and fewer government services, then we can agree to disagree. Fast forward to now, and the Republican party has mostly degenerated into a cult about the blind worship of one man, and I don't want to be friends with someone who is openly part of a cult. I cannot shake the fact that I feel like something must be wrong with someone who supports Trump. Are they racist? Sexist? Do they believe in conspiracy theories?

I think the one thing that unites most Trump supporters beyond any ideological belief is a general mean-spiritedness. "Illegal immigrants are criminals." "Black Lives Matter protesters are thugs." "Liberals are snowflakes." It's not enough for them to disagree on policy and ideology; they got to get nasty and personal while doing it. A few years back at a 4th of July fireworks festival I was it which is supposed to be a unifying event, someone yelled "**** liberals!" I don't want to be around those kinds of people.

I don't expect my friends to agree with me on everything, but I expect them to be decent people, and I don't see how a decent person could support someone like Trump given everything that he stands for. It's possible I may have some friends who secretly support Trump, but if I ever found out they support Trump, I don't think I could ever look at them the same way again.

I have the same opinion about Trump supporters and Republicans in general. Ten years ago I thought of Republicans as just people who had different philosophies about the role of government. I've always been a pretty liberal person, but if someone is in favor of lower taxes and fewer government services, then we can agree to disagree. Fast forward to now, and the Republican party has mostly degenerated into a cult about the blind worship of one man, and I don't want to be friends with someone who is openly part of a cult. I cannot shake the fact that I feel like something must be wrong with someone who supports Trump. Are they racist? Sexist? Do they believe in conspiracy theories?
I can relate to this so much and part of the reason I feel it so much is because I have, as I've touched upon, a Trump-supporting family. Hell, I think I even have a cousin who is a QAnon nut.

And based on what I've seen, and this came to light just before Donald Trump got impeached the first time, it's pretty clear that, based on my observations, lots (maybe not all, but a significant amount nonetheless) of Trump supporters do indeed believe in conspiracy theories. The reason why I mention the lead-up to Donald Trump's first impeachment in 2019 is when I noticed this is because, as we know, the whole reason Trump was impeached the first time is because it was revealed in September 2019 that the previous July, Donald Trump had cajoled the Ukrainian government under its president (who is still in office now, unsurprising since this was literally less than two years ago), Volodymyr Zelensky, to do a bogus investigation into Joe and Hunter Biden-and it's quite obvious why President Trump did this in 2019, because Joe Biden was running for the Democratic nomination (he had only launched his presidential campaign three months earlier, in April), and obviously Donald Trump was looking to denigrate Biden's campaign to benefit his own, as Trump was running for re-election and the odds heavily were that Biden would be Donald Trump's challenger (and obviously he was), as Joe Biden had been vice president, under Barack Obama.

Mentioning the matters that led to Trump's first impeachment, the thing was (and this shows the general insanity of it all that was going on at the time during the Trump administration) that Donald Trump's desired investigation, with Rudy Giuliani at its helm (as Giuliani, the former mayor of New York City, was Trump's attorney), was centered around a conspiracy theory involving the Bidens that allegedly Joe Biden, as vice president, had done actions from 2014 to 2016 to first, in April 2014, get his son Hunter a job, and then get prosecutor Viktor Shokin fired slightly less than two years later in March of 2016 as allegedly Shokin was investigating Hunter Biden and the company he worked for, Burisma Holdings-even though, one, there's no proof that Viktor Shokin was investigating Burisma, and second of all, by early 2016, groups such as the United Nations and the European Union had even heavily criticized Shokin for being complicit heavily in the current Ukrainian problem of much political corruption, which is not just ongoing in Ukraine, but is and has been in much of Eastern Europe since the end of the Cold War, in former Soviet countries. What I thought was insane-and shocked me (particularly about Trump-supporting members of my family)-about this defense used ahead of and during Donald Trump's first impeachment wasn't just the fact that it centered around a conspiracy theory (and thus, for all practical purposes, yes, a conspiracy theory got a President of the United States impeached, go figure), but also the fact that this very same conspiracy theory involving Joe and Hunter Biden literally was used as Trump's defense in his first impeachment, and you had Republican members of Congress, such as Senators Lindsey Graham and John Kennedy use this Biden conspiracy theory as a way to defend Donald Trump and his actions.

(Just as a note, what Democrats were saying about Trump's actions, as well as those of Giuliani, in terms of what happened with the Ukrainian government, have recently been confirmed by the press, and have even gotten Rudy Giuliani's residence in New York raided by prosecutors. Giuliani himself went to Ukraine in 2019 to literally get this "dirt" on the Bidens.)

Of course, and particularly unsurprisingly as the Senate had a GOP majority at the time, Donald Trump got acquitted in his first impeachment. Mitt Romney was the only Republican Senator to favor Trump's conviction (on the contempt of Congress charge, which was very much valid, the Trump administration tried everything it could to denigrate the impeachment inquiry from September to December of 2019), and no Republicans in the House voted to impeach Trump the first time either. In fact, two Democrats actually voted not to (Collin Peterson and Jeff Van Drew, although Van Drew soon afterward ended up switching parties to the GOP), and Tulsi Gabbard voted present. Nonetheless, my point here is that I was literally shocked at the nonchalant response from Republicans towards what it was revealed Donald Trump had done in July 2019 (and arguably there was a similar response from many Democrats as well)-not only had Trump literally asked Ukraine for a literal quid pro quo that would violate the Emoluments Clause (which says that Presidents of the United States cannot seek favor from foreign countries, as it was written by James Madison), but this was also a blatant effort to get dirt on and undermine the opposing side to the incumbent president's benefit-something that can only be compared to Watergate with Richard Nixon. (And, of course, Donald Trump had many comparisons made to Nixon, in regard to Richard Nixon's paranoia, while he was in office)

I'm not sure if I'm alone on this or not, but while I know in many ways Donald Trump's campaigns and presidency damaged views of the Republican Party, but in all honesty, the circumstances that led to Trump getting impeached the first time only did even more damage to my view of the GOP during this time in late 2019, as I couldn't respect members of a political party that literally defended dirty, under-the-table deeds to get advantages in a presidential election that, like I said, only can be matched by Watergate in my opinion in terms of awfulness of the deed. Mentioning how Nixon had tons of political paranoia after things such as losing the 1960 presidential election and the 1962 California gubernatorial election, and narrowly winning the 1968 presidential election, while I know Richard Nixon didn't order the break-in at the Watergate complex, obviously the break-in in 1972 was done to appease that paranoia-and clearly, Trump had similar paranoia about Joe Biden becoming the Democratic nominee and defeating him (both of which later happened). The fact that a literal conspiracy theory was used to defend Donald Trump's actions towards the Ukrainian government only was salt on the wounds.

Just to note, I should still say that I know conspiracy theories have been a problem on the American right for some time before 2019. As I said, Trump himself literally propagated the birther conspiracy theory in 2011 and 2012 against Barack Obama when Obama was still president. Conspiracy theories such as Pizzagate (which QAnon later spurned off from in 2017) were propagated online in many right-wing areas during the 2016 election, and in fact, a month after Donald Trump defeated Hillary Clinton in the election, there was a shooting at the Comet pizzeria in Washington, D.C., that had been the center of the conspiracy theory from the 2016 election. Arguably, with Vince Foster's suicide in 1993 during the first year of the Clinton administration (during the administration of Bill Clinton), the Clinton era represented when the conspiracy theories began being peddled so much by the right, and it never stopped. It was basically the right's way of opposing Bill Clinton, and in my opinion, it likely had to do with how the Republicans had so much power up until Democrat Bill Clinton was first elected in the 1992 election-before Clinton's presidency, the Republicans had the White House for 20 out of 24 years, barring only Jimmy Carter's single four-year term. Before Carter was in office, of course, the GOP had control of the White House for eight years under Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, and after the Carter administration, they had it for twelve years under Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. This meant that for 20 out of the 24 years from 1969 to 1993, Republicans controlled the White House under either Nixon, Ford, Reagan, or Bush-again, only barring the term Jimmy Carter served from 1977 to 1981.

The point I was making, however, about the Ukraine scandal and Donald Trump's first impeachment is that to me, it highlighted the exact extent of the willingness American conservatives had to believe conspiracy theories, and it's when I truly realized that the belief in them is far more common among conservatives than among liberals or progressives. And it wouldn't be long after Trump got impeached the first time and then he was acquitted that time too that I realized the commonality of conspiracy theories on the right-as the coronavirus pandemic began (and still lingers on), right-wingers have perpetuated so many conspiracy theories about the virus (yet ironically at the same time haven't taken it seriously, being resistant to things such as masks and the vaccine), and 2020 during the year (particularly as it was an election year) also exposed how common on the US right QAnon sympathies are-especially as the 2020 elections led to the elections of two QAnon adherents to the House, Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert. And, like I said, these QAnon nuts stormed our Capitol building on January 6 after Donald Trump literally baited them to do so and had kept lying for two months straight that a re-election victory had been "stolen" from him, and that is what would get Trump impeached a second time. Arguably, if perhaps to a lesser degree, you can say that a conspiracy theory also led to Donald Trump's second impeachment as well.

Now these nuts believe that Trump will be reinstated as president this August... And some reports have stated that QAnon adherents might get violent as time goes on given the reality of Joe Biden's presidency and how these conspiracies have next-to-no chance of coming true.

I wouldn't care about making friends with someone who has opposite opinions. As long we both have something in common and they respect my opinions and beliefs and they don't shove their opinions/beliefs in my face and try to make me feel guilty of not believing in what they believe in(like Corrie said), then it will work out!👍And that's what l like also about my friends is how we respect each other about our beliefs and opinions.

I personally would find it hard to consider people who have different core values and morals from me as friends. I believe there are certain things that cannot be compromised on and if a potential friend has those contradicting beliefs, it would really require too much cognitive dissonance for me to spend time with them.

it like, really, really, really depends on what kind of views/beliefs we're talking about - there are some things that are really minor and dont really matter and then there are things that i can't reconcile; even just narrowing it down to 'politics' doesn't really narrow it down far enough for me. like if it's something like how the local school board should allocate funds, or if the mayor should sign off on an ordinance about livestock in certain zones, then yeah, i'm pretty sure we can get along despite feeling differently about it lmao... but if it's something like not believing certain groups should have access to the same rights as others, or believing that people don't deserve access to decent healthcare despite their financial status, then no, i'm not going to associate with that person at all if i can help it.

as far as religion goes, that's a little difficult for me, because i have some religious trauma in my background. for the most part it doesn't bother me if someone believes differently than me... so long as that belief doesn't involve them feeling like i'm sinning/going to hell or somehow inferior/stupid for what i believe. i have on occasion found out that people believe that about me behind closed doors, even if they don't usually say it to my face, and it just leaves too bad a taste in my mouth for me to want to associate with them any longer. but for the most part, as long as people aren't looking down on me or belittling my beliefs, then it's neither here nor there if they believe the same and we can be friends just fine.

I think the one thing that unites most Trump supporters beyond any ideological belief is a general mean-spiritedness. "Illegal immigrants are criminals." "Black Lives Matter protesters are thugs." "Liberals are snowflakes." It's not enough for them to disagree on policy and ideology; they got to get nasty and personal while doing it. A few years back at a 4th of July fireworks festival I was it which is supposed to be a unifying event, someone yelled "**** liberals!" I don't want to be around those kinds of people.

I don't expect my friends to agree with me on everything, but I expect them to be decent people, and I don't see how a decent person could support someone like Trump given everything that he stands for. It's possible I may have some friends who secretly support Trump, but if I ever found out they support Trump, I don't think I could ever look at them the same way again.

I've always been really suspicious of conservatism. Going back long before Trump, into my high school years even, conservatives were rallying against same-sex marriage and that was non-negotiable, just like all of the human rights violations they are supporting now are non-negotiable.

I think before Trump I had convinced myself that a number of actual Republican citizens (not politicians) were people who weren't necessarily rotten to the core, but were mislead by harmful Republican candidates who put on a facade of niceness, and they fell for it.

When Trump came around, giving them the benefit of the doubt just vanished. Trump showed me that this is what the Republican party is all about, and they are proud of it. And anyone who supports Trump has lost my respect 100%, because he's just such an overt vile man. A man who makes fun of disabled people. A man who used his power to sexual assault women and bragged about it. A man who calls Mexican immigrants rapists and rallies up hate for them, while HE is the rapist. A man who was unrelenting in his attacks on LGBT rights, and who stacked all of the courts to ensure the boot of oppression is on us for decades.

It seems kinda weird to me that I would actually get blowback for criticizing the Republican party for being straight-up vile and cruel, when that has proudly been their mantra for years now. Shirts that say "**** your feelings", memes that mock transgender people for having a high suicide rate, complaining about how everyone is so offended by everything these days (even though they're offended whenever someone kneels during the anthem), constantly attacking any of the leftist women in congress and insulting everything about them, including their intelligence (especially AOC). These are not nice people. These are not people I should have to mince words about when I say they are just straight-up cruel. They're even proud of it.

I'm someone who doesn't believe in god at all. Don't ask me why please, just deal with it.
Anyways, some time ago a very believing christian was talking to me and we became somewhat friends.
I knew it meant a lot to him, so whenever I had a question, I would ask him why / how strong believers do
and he was happy to answer and everything was great. Buuuut.. then he started to force his believes onto me,
saying a lot of bad things to try and make me believe in it, but I just don't want to and this actually ended our
friendship. I don't care in what you believe, what you are against, just don't force me to have the same opinion
and we can be friends. I'm open to everyone. :)

I'd have a hard time being friends with someone who has vastly opposing political beliefs. It would get annoying real fast, and I'm sure they'd get annoyed by me real fast. It'd become a debate-fest and those are no fun.
As for family members though, that's a bit more complicated. My dad has very upsetting political beliefs but I'm not gonna go and remove him from my life. Though I could understand why others would do that if they were related to him

who knows. i used to think i could be friends with people who have different views but lately i just get so angry about things i consider important. as time passes i think i get more severe in my intolerance, but honestly i dont want to experience the feelings i get when im around people with hateful views. i do wish i could be more accepting and not get so intensely emotional, but i often cant even listen to something that is so against what i believe. when i hear someone say something hateful about human rights movements i just want to explode to be honest. not being friends with people who have these views is the only way i can live in peace. i get that nature and nurture work together to contribute to peoples worldviews, but i am not able to handle certain worldviews tbh. i dont know if i will be able to continue talking to my family because of these reasons. honestly, except for the people ive met on tbt, i might eventually cut ties with everyone i know bc i cant take it anymore. i just cant take the hate and it honestly ruins life so much for me.

I've always been really suspicious of conservatism. Going back long before Trump, into my high school years even, conservatives were rallying against same-sex marriage and that was non-negotiable, just like all of the human rights violations they are supporting now are non-negotiable.

I think before Trump I had convinced myself that a number of actual Republican citizens (not politicians) were people who weren't necessarily rotten to the core, but were mislead by harmful Republican candidates who put on a facade of niceness, and they fell for it.

When Trump came around, giving them the benefit of the doubt just vanished. Trump showed me that this is what the Republican party is all about, and they are proud of it. And anyone who supports Trump has lost my respect 100%, because he's just such an overt vile man. A man who makes fun of disabled people. A man who used his power to sexual assault women and bragged about it. A man who calls Mexican immigrants rapists and rallies up hate for them, while HE is the rapist. A man who was unrelenting in his attacks on LGBT rights, and who stacked all of the courts to ensure the boot of oppression is on us for decades.

It seems kinda weird to me that I would actually get blowback for criticizing the Republican party for being straight-up vile and cruel, when that has proudly been their mantra for years now. Shirts that say "**** your feelings", memes that mock transgender people for having a high suicide rate, complaining about how everyone is so offended by everything these days (even though they're offended whenever someone kneels during the anthem), constantly attacking any of the leftist women in congress and insulting everything about them, including their intelligence (especially AOC). These are not nice people. These are not people I should have to mince words about when I say they are just straight-up cruel. They're even proud of it.
In my opinion, no Republican should have the right to call themselves "pro-life". They claim to be wanting children to live, but everything about their policies, as a political party, shows more of a desire for control rather than any sympathetic concern about a human being.

I can be fairly tolerant of radical opinions, for reasons stated in the spoiler below. (Before reading that, please don't judge me for my past, I am a different person now, I support LGBT and other human equality rights, and I am truly sorry for my behaviour as a young person. I guess consider this a warning if you are sensitive maybe don't read it.)

I was brought up in a very strongly fundamentalist Christian family, and even though I now consider myself agnostic, and I support LGBT and human rights, I am also pretty tolerant to people with radical beliefs as I'm used to it (as horrible as that sounds).

Lots of people have horrible opinions that are difficult for them to stop believing, but from my personal experience, they have to stop believing it of their own accord, like I did. Whether they are your friend or not isn't going to change their mind necessarily. I think being polite to people like that is better than pushing them away outright cause that often confirms things for those types of people, at least that's how I used to feel when I was religious. I used to have this mindset of "well my church taught me that people will oppress our beliefs because they don't want to admit that it's sin" it doesn't make them stop believing, if anything it makes them believe it more.

Obviously religion isn't the only reason people are like this, (and not all religious people are intolerant or non-supportive.) There are plenty of "reasons" for intolerance, and it is certainly not a good thing, but you've still got to see them as human beings who can change, I think that's something a lot of people don't see.

And of course, I'm not saying you should go out and find radical right-wing people and make them your best friend lol as long as you also don't dehumanise them, the way they do to others. People grow up with weird families, strange cultures and obtuse beliefs, and it's very difficult to unlearn a lot of that stuff especially as you get older.

sorry for the rant, I sincerely hope I have not offended anybody.

Last edited:
Back